iPhone 7 pre order question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by richxps, Sep 8, 2016.

1. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

hi can someone confirm that you can pre order using the apple upgrade program online ? I never used the apple upgrade program before so I'm not sure if it's in store only or online as well.
    Thanks

2. esvee macrumors member

The upgrade program works through in-person appointments at the apple store. At midnight PST you'll be able to schedule an appointment for Sep 16th to go sign up and pick up your phone. Those of us who signed up last year will be scheduling an appointment to go to the store to swap out our old phones for new ones.

3. richxps thread starter macrumors 65816

richxps

Oh man I thought i could sign up online so I can avoid the store
    --- Post Merged, Sep 8, 2016 ---
    Actually I just went through the steps online and it asks would u like to enroll, so I'm assuming when pre orders drop you can enroll online .

4. Zetaprime macrumors 65816

I'm in the upgrade program but nowhere do I see any mention of trading in the old phone. I have a delivery date of 9/27-29 for plus 256 matte black. Not sure if it pays to go to the Apple Store on Friday morning as I tried that last year without success and ended up waiting for the shipment, which did end up getting pushed up a week.

5. SisterBlue22 macrumors 6502

SisterBlue22

On Friday, did you "check eligibility" for an upgrade as an existing IUP member, enter your current phone's serial and IMEI number, and receive upgrade eligibility information? Or did you sign up for the program and go through the whole credit check process, etc online? If you did the former, you would have picked out a phone and made a reservation to pick it up in a store on Friday to complete the trade in. If you did the latter, you basically started the IUP again from scratch and created a second separate loan, instead of a trade in on the original loan.

Existing members = reservation to pick up phone in a store on Friday
    New members = actual preorder being shipped to your home

6. Zetaprime macrumors 65816

7. tich macrumors member

tich

I also did the latter, but I DID enter my serial and IMEI and it said I was upgrade eligible. I proceeded to choose my phone but it said nothing was available for pickup, so I chose delivery. I didn't see anything about a credit check, but I spoke with Apple and they said I did indeed start another IUP (even though it's my current phone number listed on my order). Seems like the flow on their site was flawed, redirecting me to the new IUP rather than existing because no in-store pickup was available.

My new phone is already preparing for shipment so I can't cancel it. I guess I should go into the store when it arrives and try to have it switched to my current IUP? Anyone else go through this or have any insight? I sure don't want to be stuck with two loans.