iPhone 7 Pre-Orders in Indonesia Begin March 24 Following Apple R&D Investment

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 17, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Indonesian carrier Smartfren has announced it will begin accepting iPhone 7 pre-orders on Friday, March 24. Pricing has not been disclosed, but customers can sign up on Smartfren's website to receive more information. In-store sales at select authorized resellers will begin on Friday, March 31.

[​IMG]

While the iPhone 7 has been available in many other countries since September, the Indonesian government recently enacted a policy that requires 4G-capable smartphones to have at least 30 percent "local content," which can be hardware, software, or in this case, a commitment to invest in the country.

Apple satisfied the requirements of that policy when it committed around $44 million towards research and development in Indonesia over three years, which will include building an iOS App Development Center in the country. Apple received a "local content certification," allowing it to sell iPhones throughout Indonesia.

iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus were the last smartphones that Apple officially sold in Indonesia, according to local website Coconuts Jakarta.

Indonesia is the fourth most populated country in the world, with an estimated population of over 260 million people.

Article Link: iPhone 7 Pre-Orders in Indonesia Begin March 24 Following Apple R&D Investment

2. agsystems macrumors 6502a

3. dominiongamma macrumors 6502a

dominiongamma

Waited too long, iPhone 8 is coming soon

4. now i see it macrumors 65816

There's a five letter word for that.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'm pretty those who can afford the iPhone 7 already bought them in neighboring countries or through gray market channels.

6. alfonsog macrumors 6502

alfonsog

Maybe trump will start instituting laws like this...

7. Avieshek macrumors 6502

Avieshek

Hello, Saif Ali Khan

8. Adithya007 macrumors regular

People may very well skip this to buy the slightly curved and gonna-be-infamously flat iPhone 6S Plus Plus Plus.

9. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Ah, Indonesia, plenty of good things to say about this country, like: Indonesians are really nice people, lots to see and many beautiful places, my girl is Indonesian and I lived there for about 7 years.
    But politics is a bit backwards, although fairly stable after Suharto got the boot, it's one of the biggest democracies in the world.
    On the other hand I can understand this, not lots of things are exported so the country needs jobs especially since so many people are jobless or live on a few dollars a day.

MR, sometimes you are weird, there was a time not to long ago (1-2 years) time there was an article, you said something similar like, Singapore, a country in South-East Asia south of Malaysia.
    I think you can leave this out, Everyone here knows Singapore and I am pretty sure almost all people reading MR know Indonesia as well.
    Redundant information.

10. Relentless Power macrumors G4

Relentless Power

That's probably true, being it's been eight months since the launch. Although, the constraint was horrible this year for all models, which I'm not sure how that would affect other Countries based on the launch order.

@Sunnysunnysingh. Maybe you can share your experience on ordering your iPhone in Indonesia?.....or is it India?

11. macs4nw macrumors 68040

macs4nw

It's early, please enlighten me..... :confused:o_O

12. Mr. Dee macrumors 65816

Mr. Dee

At this point, I would just wait for the iPhone 7s or iPhone 8.

13. macfacts macrumors 68000

macfacts

Same word to describe what happened with Apple and Ireland.

14. Analog Kid macrumors 68040

Analog Kid

Looks like they changed it, but I found it funny that they thought people who don't know where Indonesia (pop: 260m, size: 2e6 km^2) is would suddenly be enlightened when told it was next to Malaysia (pop: 33m, size 330e3 km^2).

15. Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

I got my iPhone 7 in September,I don't know anything about Indonesia :confused:

16. adib macrumors regular

adib

I wonder why Malaysia was picked as the border and not the bigger country to the south of it, Australia.

17. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

MacRumors already edited the article, there's no need to say where Indonesia is, it's one of the bigger countries in the world, any educated person knows Indonesia.
    Australia is not South-East Asia.

18. achmadputra macrumors newbie

They never open pre order in Indonesia, because they never did. And the authorized resellers just shut their mouths like apple did, they never leaked the date or the prices before they released the phone. This is the first time apple open pre order in Indonesia

19. Stiss macrumors 6502a

When Brexit is in full swing we'll be paying companies to bring their products to our shores.

20. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

One would think a better fit for this market would be an updated iPhone SE, no?