iPhone 7 Processor and Graphics?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BLUEBLASTER, Aug 7, 2016.

1. BLUEBLASTER macrumors regular

BLUEBLASTER

The jump between the 6 and 6s was huge in terms of processor and graphics but we will get this same jump with the 6s to the 7?

I ask this because with all the leaks it doesn't seem like Apple are changing the outside shell of the phone but what about the internals? Would they get a big boost in performance?

2. Sunny1990, Aug 7, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2016

Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

If they repeat the history then there won't be much improvement from the current iPhone 6s

3. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Unlikely. As the post above states, historically there aren't much changes in hardware performance from each iteration. However with the 'S' models, they've almost always doubled in performance. This has been true since the iPhone 3G.

4. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

It will be an incremental bump at the most. Apple has to worry about heat and battery consumption. The processor will be a little more powerful but will also have to cope with an OS that is doing more.

5. BLUEBLASTER thread starter macrumors regular

BLUEBLASTER

But was that not because they focused more on a new design for the phone?
    Where the new 7 looks the same as the 6 and 6S?
    To me it doesn't seem like they are repeating history. Normally we would get a full redesign of the phone one year then the next year the "S" version would be the speed boost. But this year the phone looks same as the 6 and 6s. So like a 3 year cycle and that's why I thought we would get a bigger boost internals.

6. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Whether the next iteration of the iPhone is aesthetically dissimilar to contest it's a 'different' model is an argument for another day. The truth is that it IS a different shell, so it stands to reason they'd be keeping the same sort of cycle.

There are hypotheses that this is new model is just so they can save the flagship specs, such as a bezel-free screen, for the 10th anniversary phone. But we'll have to wait until 2017 to see what the case is (pun sadly intended) with that. :)

7. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

camera
    waterproof
    A10

seems the main improvements.

8. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

Apple will take the lazy way out: A10 won't be a big jump since the A9 was, and even worse, the A11 probably won't be a big jump either since they will save it for the A12 (they won't give a huge redesign AND a big boost in performance at the same time).

To sum it up:
    iPhone 7 with A10 = minor redesign with minor boost in performance
    iPhone 8 with A11 = major redesign with minor boost in performance
    iPhone 8s with A12 = same design with major boost in performance

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

A8 to A9 was a huge step due to the switch from 20nm planar to 14/16nm FinFET. Since A10 will continue to use 14/16nm, there will only be some relatively minor architectural tweaks to boost performance and efficiency. A11 is going to be another big one (or at least a bigger one) due to the switch to 10nm process.

10. Math889 macrumors 65816

A10 Will be the new A8 !!. I am on S cycles And I won't regret it. Usually, first generation devices just change the design,
    Second generation focus more on internal changings

And Apple support more S phones than non S .

11. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

From all the leaks so far, the first generation of iPhone 7 does not seem to be carrying much of a design change. It looks pretty darn identical to the current generation phones. So, if they are not upgrading the design, nor the internals that much - what is this new "generation" supposed to bring to the market?

12. Math889 macrumors 65816

That's why it will be called IPhone 6SE. This year release is so boring

13. nordique, Aug 7, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2016

nordique macrumors 6502a

I highly doubt it

Part of the reason 6s was so big a jump was because the 6 was such a small spec upgrade over the 5s (so the spec upgrade made more an impact)

The fab process and ram will more or less be the same (at least ram in the base mode is likely to remain at 2gb), I am personally expecting a small jump similar from 5s to 6.

It's targeted at iPhone 6 and 6 plus customers who are ending their 2 year contracts more so than 6s customers, so for them the 2016 model will still be a large spec upgrade

14. anon.guy macrumors regular

There are already some rumors that the 7 scores around 3000 points in geekbench 3 in multiscore, oppose to 2550 for the 6s.

15. oldmacs macrumors 68040

I really doubt there will be much of an improvement. The 4 didn't improve that much on the 3GS, most of the improvement was sucked up by the Retina display. The 6 was barely a performance improvement over the 5S.

16. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

There were leaked geekbench scores as mentioned a couple posts up that put the A10 chip pretty much on par with the A9X in the iPad Pros. Which is typically about right, newest non X version is usually more or less around the previous X version.

It's not a huge massive leap like it was A8 to A9. Those big leaps are usually done in the s model years of iPhones. Expect the A11 in 2017 to be a good size leap.

17. Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

Yeah maybe it won't get 7 name.the over all design seems soo identical to the current iPhones and minor performance improvement under the hood will not make it a big upgrade from the current iPhones 6s

18. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

So big redesign AND big increase in performance? I don't think Apple is that generous. It'll be big redesign and small increase in performance for the 2017 model (and probably 2GB of RAM as well, making that the "new" 1GB of RAM). They'll save the performance increase and more RAM for the 2018 model. Otherwise, who would buy the 2018 model when the 2017 had it all?

19. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

"A" series chips have pretty much always gone small gain/big gain. Alternating years.

As for ram. The 7 this year is said to have 3gb in the Plus model (there might be two Plus models based on rumours of single and dual lens versions of the 5.5". It's the dual lens version that is said to have 3gb) so I doubt they're waiting until 2018 to offer more ram option, when at least one option of more than 2 may become available in just over a month from now.

And your logic of "why would anyone buy the 2018 iPhone when the 2017 has it all" is funny. Are you saying that the A12 in 2018 wouldn't still be a faster chip? You do know they get fast each year regardless of how big the gain is previously right? Doesn't matter how many changes or performance they throw at the 2017 phone, the next one is always faster and with more features.

20. Skika macrumors 68030

iPhone 5

21. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

I concur.

Apple can't afford to spend money and still squeeze out the massive gross profits they're addicted to. Furthermore, the average iPhone user doesn’t care anyway. Apple knows exactly how much it can get away without doing... and has an army of excuse makers within their user base that will defend the Cupertino Company no matter what.

It's good to be Apple.

22. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

Of course all A-chips will always be faster than their predecessors, but by how much is the question. I still believe Apple will hold back on performance next year, they know design is more than enough to sell.

Good one! Too bad that was the last time it's happened.

23. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Wow that's way cool. Ageekbench test on phone that hasn't been released yet. What geek bench saying the iPhone 8 score is?

24. anon.guy macrumors regular

I said "RUMORS", don't be a smartass