Resolved iPhone 7 (PRODUCT)RED Screen Abnormality

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thatinkjar, Apr 10, 2017.

1. thatinkjar macrumors member

Hi everyone. I was hoping to get a little bit of feedback from other owners of the newest (PRODUCT)RED iPhone 7 (either size).

I decided to trade in my silver iPhone 7 and get the newest (PRODUCT)RED version the weekend before last, which looks awesome in my opinion. After a few days, I noticed bands of rainbow colours on the screen when tilting the phone left and right (and a little bit up and down). It's more evident on higher brightness settings with white backgrounds.

For the last few days, I've thought that the display and glass had a small gap that was distorting the light in some way, but I discovered something interesting tonight. If I rapidly adjust the brightness slider left and right, I can see a pink hue to the screen for a split second. This doesn't happen on my silver iPhone 7 or a space gray iPhone 6 Plus.

As the red colour is used on the inside of the phone as well, I now think that the screen backlight is illuminating the sides of the red metal back and creating a number of interesting effects on the display. Can anyone else with the new red iPhone see anything similar?

Thanks everyone :)

2. sheareb macrumors regular

3. thatinkjar thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I took the phone back to Apple a few hours ago, and they replaced it without even looking at the problem or checking to see if everything was in the box. I've never needed to return something to Apple, so I don't know if that's how they handle every customer with a problem, but I was impressed.

The new phone doesn't have the same problem, which is a great as I adore the colour :)