iPhone 7 - Proximity sensor incompatible with E2E SPs?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Paco II, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Paco II macrumors 65816

I've alluded to this in another thread, but starting one specific to this issue. It would appear that many people are able to use E2E screen protectors with their iPhone 7's. I, however, am having issues. This issue was manifesting itself as such: Get a phone call, or make a phone, then either during the call or end of the call, when moving the phone away from my face, the screen did not light up. I eventually discovered that the issue was my edge to edge screen protector.

Despite the clear glass over the sensor, the sensor still believes it is 'blocked'. I have since tried two other varieties, including the Turata, which has a wide clear glass area. All have caused this same issue. After removing the Turata, and placing on my wife's iPhone 7, same issue was happening to hers. To be clear, this is not a software or hardware issue. With the E2E SP removed, everything works correctly. It is as if the sensitivity has been cranked up to the point that even clear glass is perceived as blocking. I have not yet tested with a non E2E, where the glass is adhered over the sensor area.

I am curious as to whether or not others with iPhone 7's are experiencing this same issue with an E2E screen protector?

2. takeshi74 macrumors 601

No problem here with the GD Smith Ice Max on my 7 Plus.

3. Paco II thread starter macrumors 65816

When did you purchase yours?

4. Scarastisis macrumors newbie

I'm also having the issue. Have to push the home button to wake up the screen on my 7 plus with e2e screen protector too. Benks 3D X Pro. Very happy with it except for the proximity sensor issue. Figured it might be a software glitch or something

5. Paco II thread starter macrumors 65816

When did you purchase yours? Wondering if the sensor changed or differs in different models.

From my testing, all works perfectly with no SP. Doesn't seem like software issue at all. Only issue with SP. Will be trying nonE2E kind tomorrow to see if same issue occurs.

6. Paco II thread starter macrumors 65816

Fwiw, I've confirmed that non E2E SP works fine. No issues without proximity sensor.

So this poses an interesting problem: go with what looks better but creates issues with the proximity sensor, or go with what works but doesn't look as nice.

7. Scarastisis macrumors newbie

For me, after removing the phone from my face for the first time during a call, waiting about 10 seconds is required for the screen to wake. After that on the same call removing the phone will wake the screen almost instantly no matter how many times I do it. So I assume it's just a software issue

8. Paco II thread starter macrumors 65816

Interesting observation. I don't currently have an E2E on it to test, but without an E2E, it does not do that at all. So I am not sure I'd call it a software issue. I am guessing that the sensor is now more sensitive, and the glass over it 'confuses' it a bit. Clearly there is some 'conflict' with the E2E screen protector if the phone only has this issue with it on.

9. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

10. Paco II thread starter macrumors 65816

It is hard to say if this is a glitch or not. But since this issue only happens with E2E, it is hard to blame the phone or software

Can you confirm the previous posters comment about it lighting up after about 10 seconds?

It is such a dilema since I do not like the look of non E2E ones at all.

11. Scarastisis macrumors newbie

It may also depend on the thickness of the glass. I might be having this problem because my e2e protector is 0.4 mm thick

12. Paco II thread starter macrumors 65816

Turata is only .3mm according to their description, and it has same issue.

13. Daranx macrumors regular

Daranx

Few issues that could be causing this:

1. Some E2E glass doesn't have adhesive surrounding the proximity sensors as it's so close to the edge of the glass. I've had a few different brands in the past and only the 2.5D ones that I tried had the adhesive surrounding the sensors. Without this additional adhesive, dust could (and definitely has on my 3D glass) get between the glass and the sensor.

2. Not perfectly aligning the glass means the opaque portion of the glass is partially covering the sensor.

3. I'm not at all sure how these sensors work, but I'm assuming one of them detects light, and the cutout for the sensors could still be blocking the light depending on its angle to the nearby light source even if you perfectly aligned the protector.

I for one have given up on E2E glass.

14. Paco II thread starter macrumors 65816

I don't think it's dust or anything like that. I think it's just the gap. I can hold a clear screen protector just over the sensor and the screen will darken.