iPhone 7 random volume drop and increase

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yusukeaoki, Feb 25, 2017.

1. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Ive had my iPhone 7 for about 5 months now and recently it started to do a some weird things.

I was listening to some music on it when all of a sudden the volume drops to zero.
    I would push it back up but it would go back down again.
    It is like as if someone is holding down the volume rocker.
    I would try to push it back up, but it keeps on forcing itself down.

The problem goes away in few seconds, but comes back randomly without any specific reason.
    It doesnt matter if Im listening to music or watching a movie or etc.
    The system would just rocker the sound down NOT my ringer volume though.
    In settings, my volume rocker is set to adjust ringer volume so it shouldnt be like a connection problem there.

Now this was few days ago, now its started to do things oppositely.
    It would always raise my volume for some reason. No matter how much I rocker it down.
    Now today, it sets the volume to "3".
    I always keep my speaker to 0. But it would just raise it in the background.
    If Im like watching a twitter video without sound, it would just raise all of a sudden.
    It even raises itself in the background so I would keep it at 0, but the next time I open a video or something, it would be set to 3.

Obviously its not volume limit in settings, Apple Support was unable to help me.
    Im trying to fix this on my own if its possible since I dont want a refurbished iPhone for replacement...
    But if its necessary I will.

This occurs on both headphones and speaker.

Anyone having a same issue?
    Did you come up with a solution or anything?

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Did you try doing a "rest all settings" option? If you bough the phone new, it should still be under Apple warranty.

3. yusukeaoki thread starter macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I did and that didnt seem to work.
    I would try once more but my MBP 17 just died last night due to logic board failure.

I called AC and they told me if its not a fixable problem they would replace my iPhone but not brand new, a refurbished iPhone by Apple.
    They said they'll give me a new iPhone. But I wasnt sure if its really brand new so I asked they specifically and they told me it will be a refurbished model.

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

There is nothing wrong with refurbished. It looks like new and is very closely inspected and parts replaced (with new or like new if need be) before giving to consumers.

5. yusukeaoki thread starter macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I was worried about refurbished since I was once told they use refurbished models on devices they cant find a problem with.
    Problems similar to mine, when you dont know when it will occur and they cant find the problem (even though there is, its just that it occurs randomly), they'll stick it right into the refurbished models.
    I dont want to go through another hassle because it was a refurb iPhone lol

6. deano1972, Feb 25, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2017

deano1972 macrumors 6502a

deano1972

I understand what your saying about hastle..but you'll still have the remainder of your warranty to get it exchanged again if you do get a bad handset at least.
    My launch day iPhone 7 was faulty and suffered from a standby drain issue where it would drain 2% per hour on standby and even drain a similar amount whilst switched off. I finally got it exchanged at an Apple Store early December and have no idea whether or not the replacement is new or reconditioned, it looked perfect just like my original one did when I opened it on launch day ..but I can tell you it seems to be a damn good one .. absolutely no problems with it at all and the battery life seems to be well above average compared to what others are getting out of them on this forum.
    Some say the reconditioned iPhones go through a stricter quality control and parts such as the screen and battery are new.

IMG_0427.PNG
    Reconditioned or not? Do I look bothered ;)

7. yusukeaoki thread starter macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

That is actually quite impressive and great to hear.
    My iPhone was also purchased on launch date and so far hadnt had any problems except my current one.
    Iam in AppleCare+ so I should be able to have a free replacement if its a faulty device for the next year and half at least...

8. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Are you using a case. A friend of mine had a case he bought from Amazon and with the slightest touch it would change volume. Just a thought.

9. yusukeaoki thread starter macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I had also guessed that. Tried without a case for about a day but no use.
    The case Im using is a Spigen Ultra Hybrid.

10. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

ReFurbished models in some respects are less likely to even have the same issues that a brand-new model would have new out of the box. My Experiences with refurbished models have been stellar, which include iPhones and other devices.