Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaymulli95

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2016
SO i picked up my new iphone 7 last friday and i have no other issues than a loud rattle that seems to be from the camera, i know there is always a rattle around the camera but this seems a lot louder than it should and doesnt go when i open the camera app.
http://sendvid.com/1no1ai9a i uploaded a video here, just wanted to see what other people think

SumYoungGai

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2013
SF Bay Area, CA
SO i picked up my new iphone 7 last friday and i have no other issues than a loud rattle that seems to be from the camera, i know there is always a rattle around the camera but this seems a lot louder than it should and doesnt go when i open the camera app.
http://sendvid.com/1no1ai9a i uploaded a video here, just wanted to see what other people think
IIRC this has been happening since the iPhone 5/5s.

Reactions: Armen

airjay75

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2014
I've noticed a small rattle that seems to be coming from my 7 camera as well. I remember noticing that on previous iPhones as well but the 6+ and 6s+ I owned these past two years did not seem to have any noticeable rattle. Did a few google searches and quite a few people saying this is perfectly normal. Something about the camera lens not being fully engaged when not in use. I'm not very concerned about it at the moment.

jaymulli95

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2016
I've noticed a small rattle that seems to be coming from my 7 camera as well. I remember noticing that on previous iPhones as well but the 6+ and 6s+ I owned these past two years did not seem to have any noticeable rattle. Did a few google searches and quite a few people saying this is perfectly normal. Something about the camera lens not being fully engaged when not in use. I'm not very concerned about it at the moment.
Yeah i know it seems to be a common issue its just when i load the camera up it still makes that rattling noise which is what i find strange :-/

airjay75

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2014
Yeah i know it seems to be a common issue its just when i load the camera up it still makes that rattling noise which is what i find strange :-/

I just tested mine and I'm also getting the rattle with the camera up. Tried locking auto focus and tapping near the camera too and am still getting the slight rattle. I'm guessing it's normal, but maybe we'll hear differently from a 7 user not experiencing this.

jaymulli95

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2016
I just tested mine and I'm also getting the rattle with the camera up. Tried locking auto focus and tapping near the camera too and am still getting the slight rattle. I'm guessing it's normal, but maybe we'll hear differently from a 7 user not experiencing this.
it is probably normal, i just find it strange more people arent mentioning this when you car hear the rattle when tapping near the top of the screen just using the phone

bhodinut

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2013
I know there is always a rattle around the camera but this seems a lot louder than it should

Well. It's a larger lens that they're using to stabilize with. It's going to weigh more so it's probably going to be louder as it clunks around.

Connolly20vt

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2016
If you really want to let the paranoia in.... turn it over and tap the back near the camera..... it sounds 10x worse....

Reactions: will_mme

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
nothing to worry about, they made the camera even bigger so your lens is obviously going to be larger and have some moving parts...non issue really.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
BzrPxYnIAAAX9pC.jpg

[doublepost=1476575597][/doublepost]
Well. It's a larger lens that they're using to stabilize with. It's going to weigh more so it's probably going to be louder as it clunks around.
But seriously, this.

The rattle noise is because when the camera is powered down, the lens is loose in its holder. it is only held in place when the coils that are used to focus and stabilize are energized. There's no need to hold it in place as it's designed to move and it's easier to just let it move freely.

Reactions: Jetro

Connolly20vt

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2016
It's 100% normal. When I discovered mine I went to the apple store and tested it next to every 7 on display. I got some weird looks from people... but it proved one thing - They all rattle!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.