Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tigerstyles

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2013
I've managed to drop the phone literally minutes after I took my case of as I had forgotten what it actually looked like!

Smashing the rear camera glass,I've pulled the lens glass out but has anyone replaced it externally as opposed to stripping the whole phone which I don't want to do

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
I've managed to drop the phone literally minutes after I took my case of as I had forgotten what it actually looked like!

Smashing the rear camera glass,I've pulled the lens glass out but has anyone replaced it externally as opposed to stripping the whole phone which I don't want to do

" as I had forgotten what it actually looked like". :confused: You've got to be kidding

Applecare plus? No, then you've got an expensive repair

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

In your situation, I would allow Apple to make the repair and I wouldn't attempt anything yourself if you don't have experience with it. That's likely not going to be an easy repair either.

Reactions: LoveToMacRumors

Cergman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2013
my tesla
If you've already gotten the old glass out, it should be easy enough to install a new lens.

If you opt to go the Apple repair route, they'll likely charge you $300+ for a new phone (if you don't have AC+)

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Yep what he is picking out is the glass cover. The lens would be just under it. The lens moves, will even rattle, when not in use and to see the tiny bits of glass falling on it . . . .

I was asking because so many people refer to the cover as the lens. :)

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I was asking because so many people refer to the cover as the lens. :)

Well it does look like a lens. From what I understand it is glass with a sapphire lamination on the exterior to help prevent scratches. It must work as I have friends who use their iPhones with no case and will toss it down on any surface. I have looked and the back of the phone and the hump is beat to heck and the glass will be perfect. It will scratch but it is not easy.

Sinna17

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2017
IF you have applecare+ it's 99 for a new phone. otherwise you're looking at $349 for a new device.

That part of the phone isn't replaceable so don't bother going in and asking.

Ugi

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2016
IF you have applecare+ it's 99 for a new phone. otherwise you're looking at $349 for a new device.

That part of the phone isn't replaceable so don't bother going in and asking.
Actually it's 250 dollars.. people seem to forget that they pay for apple care anyway about 150 dollars which will be gone whether something happens to your device or not. If something happens it's 250 dollars.

That's stupid. I take the risk and don't get AppleCare plus and pay 350 if something happens.

Reactions: GubbyMan

Sinna17

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2017
Actually it's 250 dollars.. people seem to forget that they pay for apple care anyway about 150 dollars which will be gone whether something happens to your device or not. If something happens it's 250 dollars.

That's stupid. I take the risk and don't get AppleCare plus and pay 350 if something happens.

Congratulations on doing math.

Ugi

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2016
Ya you should do too instead of telling that you just pay 100dollars with ac+

joefoong79

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2017
My friend just got his iPhone 7 plus screen replace by Apple cost $170 + taxes. This camera replacement will likely as same cost.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.