iPhone 7 rear camera smashed

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tigerstyles, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Tigerstyles macrumors newbie

I've managed to drop the phone literally minutes after I took my case of as I had forgotten what it actually looked like!

Smashing the rear camera glass,I've pulled the lens glass out but has anyone replaced it externally as opposed to stripping the whole phone which I don't want to do

2. Ugi macrumors regular

3. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

" as I had forgotten what it actually looked like". :confused: You've got to be kidding

Applecare plus? No, then you've got an expensive repair

4. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

In your situation, I would allow Apple to make the repair and I wouldn't attempt anything yourself if you don't have experience with it. That's likely not going to be an easy repair either.

5. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

If you've already gotten the old glass out, it should be easy enough to install a new lens.

If you opt to go the Apple repair route, they'll likely charge you $300+ for a new phone (if you don't have AC+)

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

After seeing this I would take it to the Apple Store to find out how much to fix.

I am watching tiny glass fragments falling into the phone and on top of the lens.

7. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

It's the lens cover, correct? Not the actual lens.

8. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Yep what he is picking out is the glass cover. The lens would be just under it. The lens moves, will even rattle, when not in use and to see the tiny bits of glass falling on it . . . .

9. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

I was asking because so many people refer to the cover as the lens. :)

10. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Well it does look like a lens. From what I understand it is glass with a sapphire lamination on the exterior to help prevent scratches. It must work as I have friends who use their iPhones with no case and will toss it down on any surface. I have looked and the back of the phone and the hump is beat to heck and the glass will be perfect. It will scratch but it is not easy.

11. Sinna17 macrumors newbie

IF you have applecare+ it's 99 for a new phone. otherwise you're looking at $349 for a new device.

That part of the phone isn't replaceable so don't bother going in and asking.

12. Ugi macrumors regular

Actually it's 250 dollars.. people seem to forget that they pay for apple care anyway about 150 dollars which will be gone whether something happens to your device or not. If something happens it's 250 dollars.

That's stupid. I take the risk and don't get AppleCare plus and pay 350 if something happens.

13. Sinna17 macrumors newbie

Congratulations on doing math.

14. Ugi macrumors regular

Ya you should do too instead of telling that you just pay 100dollars with ac+

15. joefoong79 macrumors regular

My friend just got his iPhone 7 plus screen replace by Apple cost $170 + taxes. This camera replacement will likely as same cost.