iPhone 7 screen bleed?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spooned12000rpm, Sep 18, 2016.

1. spooned12000rpm macrumors regular

Whilst the screen on my 7 seems fairly even I've noticed that against a mid-coloured background (like when you drag down notifications) the right hand edge of the screen is uneven and you can pick out a series of darker rectangles seperated by brighter patches down the edge of the screen. It doesn't seem like regular backlight bleed as there's nothing apparent on a black background and you can't see it at all on a white bacground. I'm not sure whether to try and live with it or whether it'll get worse over time like the dark top corner on my 6.

I haven't seen any other complaints of backlight bleed (unusual as normally there's loads of screen issues on launch models) so don't know if this is a one off and worth sacrificing a potentially ok phone for or not?!

2. spooned12000rpm thread starter macrumors regular

I managed to capture the bleed on a crappy digital camera at work. This is with a grey background:

IMG_0012.JPG

Not sure what people's thoughts are, is it worth the gamble on a replacement, equally what are my chances of a replacement at this time? I see that the stocks are low and showing 2-3week delivery times, I've not had to exchange an online Apple Store item before.

By the time the stores get them back in stock I'll be out of the 14 days and doubt they'll swap for a brand new unit under warranty

3. frifra macrumors 6502a

frifra

Just to not confuse people: I think you are talking about those lighter dots - correct? I first thought you are talking about that 5 cm line of light reflection on the top within the rectangle.

4. jtwlbz macrumors 6502a

6s plus was the worst screen quality with all kinds problem. 7s plus is very good so far. i dont have your problem i would replace your phone

5. Dirtydutch macrumors 6502a

Dirtydutch

The amount of awful screens and replacements on my 6S Plus was quite unacceptable, I've never had to deal with such awful screens on a constant basis. I'm glad it's gone as the 7 plus screen is actually quite good

6. spooned12000rpm thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, correct, there's a series of light patches or rather a series of darker patches that make the lighter patches more apparent. What's odd is these only show on mid coloured backgrounds. Against pure white or pure black it's indistinguishable. When I've seen backlight complaints in the past it's usually been on brighter/darker screens.

7. EarlZ macrumors regular

What are the RGB values of this image so that I can use it to test when the phone eventually comes.

8. spooned12000rpm thread starter macrumors regular

I don't have the RGB values to hand but an easy way to get a grey background is to open a bank tab in Safari then either tap in the address field or drag down the notification centre

9. spooned12000rpm thread starter macrumors regular

I'm still surprised that I'm the only one with this issue.

Anyway this is the first time I'd be swapping an online store purchase, what's the protocol? Book in a Genius appointment and hope they have stock?

10. spooned12000rpm thread starter macrumors regular

Well as an update (and to add some closure to this thread) I tried to make a genius bar reservation but there was nothing available at any of my local stores. Then I tried an online chat with support but the best they could do was suggest that I visit a store. In the end as I'm still within the 14 day period I've requested a replacement and sent my existing phone back.

They couldn't tell me when the replacement would arrive so I'm back to my 4 year old iPhone 5 for the foreseeable! 4 inches feels so small (pun intended!).

11. spooned12000rpm thread starter macrumors regular

Apple are buggers! After being told explicitly that they wouldn't ship the replacement until I'd sent off the old one, I'd literally just come back in the house after popping to the UPS access point to an email saying they've now approved the dispatch of the replacement without receiving the old one and that I'd have 5 days from the replacement's arrival to ship the old one back.

I suspect it's due to the fact black 32's are in short supply and its gonna be the full 2-3 weeks before dispatch :/

12. freedomisle macrumors regular

I always disliked how an Apple Store would refuse to help with 14 day returns if you purchased a product through their website.

13. Bhs1975 macrumors 6502

The 7 and 7 plus screens are way better with out that annoying blemish on the bottom left and right on the 6s plus.

14. Bhs1975 macrumors 6502

All though I did see the display models in the Apple Store recently and the blemish was harder to see.

15. sekazi macrumors 6502