iPhone 7 Shortage caused by new Storage configurations on the 6S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nanocustoms, Oct 13, 2016.

1. nanocustoms macrumors regular

Normally when theres a new product launch, the existing flagship, in this case 6S / 6S Plus can be produced in mass, the price drops, and life goes on.

This time around, they boosted the memory of the units to 32/128/256 from 16/64/128

This means the lines building the 6s family cannot be freed up to run the 7 family, which sees a surge in demand.

Thoughts?

Also, the memory itself is probably being limited to some extent. Is there different memory for the plus? I know RAM is different.

Chris

2. thats all folks macrumors 6502a

thats all folks

3. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I've seen videos of shops upgrade storage on iPhone. They effectively de solder the old module and solder in a new one. Takes a trained guy less than an hour to do it all.

I say this because this is probably an incredibly trivial thing for a machine to do. For all we know this isn't even done in the same segment of the factory.

It's possible there is some correlation but I doubt it's a large one. Wouldn't make sense for Apple to severely limit their flagship production for something this minor.