Carrier iPhone 7 Sim-Free or Verizon Model

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jeremy3292, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Jeremy3292 macrumors member

Jeremy3292

Hey guys - I am of course going to get the iPhone 7 when it is released in a few weeks. I did loads of Googling and searching and could not find an answer so alas I end up at the trusty MacRumors forum lol. My question is two-fold:

1. Is there any benefit or difference between an iPhone 7 "sim-free" vs. the Verizon iPhone 7?
    2. Should I get the "sim-free" iPhone 7, could I just swap my current iPhone 6 sim into my new iPhone 7 and activate it? i.e. don't need a new sim card from Verizon.

Thanks in advance!

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You're asking if there's a difference of a phone model that is not even announced or released yet and expect people to tell you details about iPhone models that nobody knows anything yet.

3. Jeremy3292 thread starter macrumors member

Jeremy3292

My intention of this post is clearly for general information about how the above has worked with Apple devices. Switch "iPhone 7" with "iPhone 6S" above if you would like.

4. mjwebb macrumors member

mjwebb

From what I understand is that Verizon is the only carrier that will not lock your iPhone to their carrier. Granted, you will still need to upgrade on the plan you already have, new plan, whatever it may be.

But to answer your question, yes you can switch the sim card. You will just have to use the My Verizon app or take it into a carrier store. I did this from an iPhone 5 to an iPhone 5s, and although ran into troubles, was able to work it out with phone support.

Hopefully I answered your question! Also, you can 99.99% bet that it will be the same for the upcoming iPhone. :D

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Your guess is as good as anyone's.
    What bands and frequencies they used in past models doesnt mean that this model will also have the same configuration of LTE or such capabilities.

6. DarkExistence Suspended

DarkExistence

Sim free. Always get sim free.

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

What carrier do you want to primarily use it on? The Sim Free version typically has the most bands for overseas. Sometimes it has been the same as the Verizon model, sometimes it hasn't. We don't know how Apple will choose to do it this year, they might be the same or they might be different models. If they are the same it doesn't matter as both are unlocked, but if they are different and you want to use it on Verizon then the Verizon one will be the best. However if they are different and you plan to use it primarily outside of the US then you will be better off with the SIM Free.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 30, 2016 ---
    Not if they are different models and you want to use it on Verizon. Then you will be missing some LTE bands.

8. Mikedave, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016

Mikedave macrumors newbie

Hello everyone, it looks like iPhone 7 model model A 1779 and A1785 will be a sim free later on this year. Normally apple selects a sim free model that has most LTE bands and if you pay attention Japanese model has additional LTE bands. I will wait until a simfree model gets officially released.

A perfect example was 6s att model and iPhone 6 model was also the same way.
    Anyway why add band 30 to Japanese model since they have no use for it. It's only for att, the reason why apple doing it because later on it would be sim free

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I don't travel to Japan or outside of the US on the regular.
    For that one week vacation if I need it I can manage fine with HSPA 3G speeds in case I do not have lte coverage in Zimbabwe.
    I'm getting a phone that works for my carrier and I use it on 99.9% of the time.