iPhone 7, SIM Free Version?

teddyashu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
I am interested in buying an iPhone 7 from US and use it in India. Should I wait for a sim-free version or will any of these available carrier phones work in India? Pls suggest.

Reactions: Mikedave

Mikedave

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2015
I am interested in buying an iPhone 7 from US and use it in India. Should I wait for a sim-free version or will any of these available carrier phones work in India? Pls suggest.
Hi we usually get sim free after 1 months of release date. You can buy Verizon version it will be unlocked for GSM and CDMA providers.

Abs_p

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2011
Why not just read up the forum a bit?

Any full price iPhone bought from apple is unlocked.

intelliot

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2006
Why not just read up the forum a bit?

Any full price iPhone bought from apple is unlocked.
Unlocked, yes, but limited to certain carriers. For example, the GSM (AT&T and T-Mobile) iPhone 7 devices won't work with Verizon or Sprint (CDMA carriers). Are there any advantages to the GSM model? Battery life?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Ventura County
Hi we usually get sim free after 1 months of release date. You can buy Verizon version it will be unlocked for GSM and CDMA providers.
Usually after 1 month? Not really. Last year was 2 weeks because there was a strong inventory of the 6s. The iPhone 6 didn't get a sim free until January, 3 months after launch. iPhone 5s was 2 months after launch. I can't find records for the 5, 4s and 4, but I'm 99.99% sure none of those were within 1 month.

Reactions: Applejuiced

phatcow

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2016
the Verizon version is the one to get as it was the CDMA bands along with all the other GSM/LTE bands

The qualcomm phone is the one to get, not the intel.

janeauburn

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
Unlocked, yes, but limited to certain carriers. For example, the GSM (AT&T and T-Mobile) iPhone 7 devices won't work with Verizon or Sprint (CDMA carriers). Are there any advantages to the GSM model? Battery life?
Thank you. So many people are running around with the impression that "unlocked" means fully functional around the world. It does not.

Shadowbech

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2011
Apple iPhone World
Thank you. So many people are running around with the impression that "unlocked" means fully functional around the world. It does not.
Actually unlocked does mean you can use it anywhere around the world, but the fact is you have to buy the Verizon/Sprint model for the 7 that has both CDMA and GSM. This more it is likely that the Sim-Free will be the Sprint/Verizon model.

However fully paid AT&T/T-mobile that are unlocked will work out of the country as well. If and Only if that carrier supports GSM. If that carrier doesn't support GSM and relies on CDMA, then the Verizon/Sprint is the way to go for now.

kevink2

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
internet searching indicates that CDMA is minimal in India, and not doing too well. So, unless you already have a CDMA account, buying the T-Mobile version paid in full is likely sufficient.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
They meant to say "world iPhone." This year, Verizon/Sprint model is the world iPhone 7.

Unlocked - not tied to any single carrier.
World phone - works around the world (compatible with GSM and CDMA).

We didn't always get world iPhone with every iteration. The 4s was a world iPhone, but we didn't get that with the iPhone 5. It returned for 5s and 6 series (except Sprint) and it's gone again in the iPhone 7 (at&t and T-Mobile model).

RichardF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2006
New York City
To the OP:

Just wait a few weeks, Apple will start selling the iPhone 7 and 7+ SIM-free.
Last year that happened one month after launch.

It is a good idea to wait anyway, they will have addressed any issues affecting the units produced at the very beginning (before and some time after launch).

Well, not this year, it does not because of Apple's decision to source modems from Intel.

The 7 and 7+ models with the Qualcomm modem support a wider range of bands.

1080p

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
So much misinformation and lack of info. Both versions of the iPhone 7/7+ support ALL of the same LTE bands. The Sprint/Verizon model supports CDMA. If you have no need for CDMA, then it really doesn't matter...

Also... the non-CDMA iPhone WILL support Verizon... on LTE Only. You will have no 3G fallback though... so yeah.

nealh

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2010
So much misinformation and lack of info. Both versions of the iPhone 7/7+ support ALL of the same LTE bands. The Sprint/Verizon model supports CDMA. If you have no need for CDMA, then it really doesn't matter...

Also... the non-CDMA iPhone WILL support Verizon... on LTE Only. You will have no 3G fallback though... so yeah.
I have an AT&T iPhone 7+ and checked IMEI with Verizon and the phone is not compatible. So they may support same LTE but it does look like you could use on the Verizon network and just not have CDMA functionality.
It states the phone is not compatible and appears you would not be able to get to use it on Verizon as a 4G LTE ONLY device

duaneu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Bellevue, WA
I have an AT&T iPhone 7+ and checked IMEI with Verizon and the phone is not compatible. So they may support same LTE but it does look like you could use on the Verizon network and just not have CDMA functionality.
It states the phone is not compatible and appears you would not be able to get to use it on Verizon as a 4G LTE ONLY device
In the past, Verizon has said that about compatible phones that were not on their white list, but it would work if you had an already activated Verizon sim you could put in it.

nealh

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2010
In the past, Verizon has said that about compatible phones that were not on their white list, but it would work if you had an already activated Verizon sim you could put in it.
Maybe so. But I'm betting Verizon won't allow the use of these non- CDMA phones on their network even in 4G LTE works as there is no fallback to "3G".

Apple real screwed the consumer many won't realize the phones are limited carrier compatible.

I'm personally going to try and get a Verizon model and if I can't I will likely return the phone. I had no idea til after the preorder that I was in my humble opinion carrier locked. I realized afterwards Apple had 2 hardware versions and now they have a pop up telling you the Att model will not work on Verizon/sprint.
I did not get that at preorder at 3am EST just it was connected to the carrier. I paid full price for gimped phone.

incoherent_1

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2016
Now that the SIM-free model has been out awhile, Apple has updated its website with this information (snippet below). They are a little murky, but it sounds like the SIM-free model is indeed compatible with CDMA networks like Verizon and Sprint. Can anyone confirm?

Attachments

Shadowbech

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2011
Apple iPhone World
Now that the SIM-free model has been out awhile, Apple has updated its website with this information (snippet below). They are a little murky, but it sounds like the SIM-free model is indeed compatible with CDMA networks like Verizon and Sprint. Can anyone confirm?
Yes because the Sim-Free Model has both GSM and CMDA and indeed is the Sprint/Verizon model. Since it also given a model number of A1660/1661 (7/7 Plus), which is also the same model number for Sprint and Verizon. So any sim will work. I'm on Verizon and it surely works.

benzslrpee

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2007
what are you talking about?

the GSM version can roam the world with no issues. i can't think of any operators that will let you roam CDMA globally. in the US, Verizon and Sprint will both sunset their CDMA network to re-use that spectrum for LTE... having a CDMA capable phone is kind of pointless if your main focus is global roaming

Maybe so. But I'm betting Verizon won't allow the use of these non- CDMA phones on their network even in 4G LTE works as there is no fallback to "3G".

Apple real screwed the consumer many won't realize the phones are limited carrier compatible.

I'm personally going to try and get a Verizon model and if I can't I will likely return the phone. I had no idea til after the preorder that I was in my humble opinion carrier locked. I realized afterwards Apple had 2 hardware versions and now they have a pop up telling you the Att model will not work on Verizon/sprint.
I did not get that at preorder at 3am EST just it was connected to the carrier. I paid full price for gimped phone.