iPhone 7, SIM Free Version?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by teddyashu, Sep 20, 2016.

1. teddyashu macrumors newbie

teddyashu

I am interested in buying an iPhone 7 from US and use it in India. Should I wait for a sim-free version or will any of these available carrier phones work in India? Pls suggest.

2. Mikedave macrumors newbie

Hi we usually get sim free after 1 months of release date. You can buy Verizon version it will be unlocked for GSM and CDMA providers.

3. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

Why not just read up the forum a bit?

Any full price iPhone bought from apple is unlocked.

4. intelliot macrumors member

Unlocked, yes, but limited to certain carriers. For example, the GSM (AT&T and T-Mobile) iPhone 7 devices won't work with Verizon or Sprint (CDMA carriers). Are there any advantages to the GSM model? Battery life?

5. foxconn Suspended

buy it from canada, they're all unlocked if payin full price at the apple store.

6. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Usually after 1 month? Not really. Last year was 2 weeks because there was a strong inventory of the 6s. The iPhone 6 didn't get a sim free until January, 3 months after launch. iPhone 5s was 2 months after launch. I can't find records for the 5, 4s and 4, but I'm 99.99% sure none of those were within 1 month.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Find out what bands your country uses and most LTE frequencies India carriers use and pick the iphone 7 model that includes those.
    A full price device will be unlocked.

8. adityashah1989 macrumors 6502

I got the Verizon iPhone7+, hoping it will work out of the US with other GSM networks.

9. phatcow macrumors newbie

the Verizon version is the one to get as it was the CDMA bands along with all the other GSM/LTE bands

The qualcomm phone is the one to get, not the intel.

10. tallazzPilipino macrumors 6502

tallazzPilipino

CDMA version, period. the Sprint and Verizon variants are the same models - A1660 (iPhone 7); A1661 (7 Plus). they will also cover the only two GSM variants shared between ATT and T-Mo.

11. janeauburn macrumors 6502a

janeauburn

Thank you. So many people are running around with the impression that "unlocked" means fully functional around the world. It does not.

12. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Actually unlocked does mean you can use it anywhere around the world, but the fact is you have to buy the Verizon/Sprint model for the 7 that has both CDMA and GSM. This more it is likely that the Sim-Free will be the Sprint/Verizon model.

However fully paid AT&T/T-mobile that are unlocked will work out of the country as well. If and Only if that carrier supports GSM. If that carrier doesn't support GSM and relies on CDMA, then the Verizon/Sprint is the way to go for now.

13. kevink2 macrumors 65816

internet searching indicates that CDMA is minimal in India, and not doing too well. So, unless you already have a CDMA account, buying the T-Mobile version paid in full is likely sufficient.

14. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

They meant to say "world iPhone." This year, Verizon/Sprint model is the world iPhone 7.

Unlocked - not tied to any single carrier.
    World phone - works around the world (compatible with GSM and CDMA).

We didn't always get world iPhone with every iteration. The 4s was a world iPhone, but we didn't get that with the iPhone 5. It returned for 5s and 6 series (except Sprint) and it's gone again in the iPhone 7 (at&t and T-Mobile model).

15. RichardF macrumors 6502a

RichardF

To the OP:

Just wait a few weeks, Apple will start selling the iPhone 7 and 7+ SIM-free.
    Last year that happened one month after launch.

It is a good idea to wait anyway, they will have addressed any issues affecting the units produced at the very beginning (before and some time after launch).

Well, not this year, it does not because of Apple's decision to source modems from Intel.

The 7 and 7+ models with the Qualcomm modem support a wider range of bands.

16. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

"Unlocked" doesn't mean fully functional around the world anyway. The proper term is "world phone."

17. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

So much misinformation and lack of info. Both versions of the iPhone 7/7+ support ALL of the same LTE bands. The Sprint/Verizon model supports CDMA. If you have no need for CDMA, then it really doesn't matter...

Also... the non-CDMA iPhone WILL support Verizon... on LTE Only. You will have no 3G fallback though... so yeah.

18. nealh macrumors 6502

I have an AT&T iPhone 7+ and checked IMEI with Verizon and the phone is not compatible. So they may support same LTE but it does look like you could use on the Verizon network and just not have CDMA functionality.
    It states the phone is not compatible and appears you would not be able to get to use it on Verizon as a 4G LTE ONLY device

19. duaneu macrumors 6502a

In the past, Verizon has said that about compatible phones that were not on their white list, but it would work if you had an already activated Verizon sim you could put in it.

20. nealh macrumors 6502

Maybe so. But I'm betting Verizon won't allow the use of these non- CDMA phones on their network even in 4G LTE works as there is no fallback to "3G".

Apple real screwed the consumer many won't realize the phones are limited carrier compatible.

I'm personally going to try and get a Verizon model and if I can't I will likely return the phone. I had no idea til after the preorder that I was in my humble opinion carrier locked. I realized afterwards Apple had 2 hardware versions and now they have a pop up telling you the Att model will not work on Verizon/sprint.
    I did not get that at preorder at 3am EST just it was connected to the carrier. I paid full price for gimped phone.

21. incoherent_1 macrumors newbie

Now that the SIM-free model has been out awhile, Apple has updated its website with this information (snippet below). They are a little murky, but it sounds like the SIM-free model is indeed compatible with CDMA networks like Verizon and Sprint. Can anyone confirm?

Attached Files:

22. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Yes because the Sim-Free Model has both GSM and CMDA and indeed is the Sprint/Verizon model. Since it also given a model number of A1660/1661 (7/7 Plus), which is also the same model number for Sprint and Verizon. So any sim will work. I'm on Verizon and it surely works.

23. benzslrpee macrumors 6502

benzslrpee

what are you talking about?

the GSM version can roam the world with no issues. i can't think of any operators that will let you roam CDMA globally. in the US, Verizon and Sprint will both sunset their CDMA network to re-use that spectrum for LTE... having a CDMA capable phone is kind of pointless if your main focus is global roaming