iPhone 7 SIM-Free

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by StevenL94, Oct 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StevenL94 macrumors newbie

StevenL94

Hey guys,

It turns out the SIM-free model of the iPhone 7 is now being sold in the US!
    IMG_0031.jpg

2. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Yea I saw this about an hour ago, but as with other devices not available yet. Cool though, now if they can get some stock out.

3. Thor_1 macrumors 6502a

I still don't understand the whole sim free and unlocked craze. My t mobile phone works pretty much anywhere in the world and they unlocked it within 30 minutes of my request.

4. StevenL94 thread starter macrumors newbie

StevenL94

The main difference is that it doesn't require any carrier commitment. Ordering online requires entering your account credentials if ordering a carrier model. SIM free is purely purchasing the device only. In terms of packaging, the SIM-free model includes a SIM ejector tool. Aside from that, they are fundamentally the same exact phone.

5. Hal~9000, Oct 13, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2016

Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Yeah and OF COURSE there's no store reserve / pickup option :rolleyes:

Jesus Christ Apple can you **** this release up any further for people who simply want to purchase the CDMA version without the IUP program and aren't Verizon postpaid customers?

I mean I know demand is off the charts and they can simply afford to say "screw non-postpaid customers... either get the less capable GSM only T-mobile version or keep standing in line like a moron!" but it seems like a real crappy way for a company to treat customers who simply want to reserve a contract free CDMA version for store pickup and don't want to waste time going to the store over and over and over again waiting in line just to be told each time they don't have that one in stock and to come back another day.

Some people want / need the more valuable CDMA capable version but don't have a Verizon / Sprint postpaid account to reserve once for in store pickup which the SIM free version was supposed to have the option for (except Apple dropped the ball yet again).

Also the carrier versions of the past models, even if technically 'unlocked', aren't always on each carriers whitelist of phones they will activate like the SIM-free version is.

6. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Cool, thanks for the heads up. Ended up cancelling the verizon model and opting for the Sim-Free Model.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.