iPhone 7 - sound for incoming message but screen stays black

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jk73, Jan 15, 2017.

1. jk73 macrumors 6502

Started having a weird problem on my iPhone 7 today, without having changed any settings.

If someone sends me a message while the phone is locked, the phone beeps but the screen doesn't come on to display the message.

Everything was fine yesterday. Any idea what could cause this? I've restarted the phone and that didn't help. Thanks.

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

3. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

What about phone calls or the Raise to wake
    Option? Do those two activate the screen?

4. lebronhuo macrumors newbie

lebronhuo

Maybe the reason is that you upgrade your system, and the new systerm has some kind of bug.

5. theshoehorn macrumors 6502

If there's an object laying on top of the proximity sensor on the top of the phone (by the headset), the screen won't turn on (to save battery) as it thinks its in a pocket. I've noticed that.

6. giancarlo007, Jan 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2017

giancarlo007 macrumors member

It used to happen to me, now it wakes up the screen and show the notification but don't make a sound. I have the sounds turned on.

It fixed itself when I went to the notifications settings and re-do them all for all email accounts. Make sure you have it set up to show in locked screen.

7. jk73 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks to all for your feedback.

This seems to be what was happening. If my iPhone is laying just right under my iPad (which I have on a pedestal stand), the screen doesn't come on. I used to do the same exact thing with my iPhone 6 but the screen still came on every time, so the 7's must have an improved and/or repositioned proximity sensor. (This should have occurred to me earlier.)

Thanks again.