iPhone 7 sound quality over bluetooth

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KnoxHarrington, Feb 14, 2017.

1. KnoxHarrington macrumors newbie

I just want to check on this to see if anyone else is experiencing it. I just moved to an iPhone 7 after using a sort of mid-level Android phone for a while, and I am finding the sound quality over Bluetooth earbuds is not good, significantly worse than on the Android phone. It sounds muddy, and very compressed; the music loses definition as a whole.

I've contacted Apple support and gotten run through the usual steps; they left me off at doing a factory restore, which I just don't believe is going to help. I'm seeing some other rumblings that this is a known thing, so I ask...am I alone in this?

2. Newtons Apple, Feb 14, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2017

Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

There is a large thread about this, not sure if it is what you are experiencing.

I use my ATT 7+ with BT headphones and Sonos speakers daily and find the quality of the music to be as good or better than my 6+.

Could be your ear buds are bad, does everything sounds muddy?

3. JuanGuapo macrumors 6502a

JuanGuapo

I've had it hiccup a few times in the car or at home connected to BT speakers but nothing serious. Sound quality is superb on my Bose system at home.

4. a02 macrumors member

It depends on how picky you are with your music. iPhones still utilize the older a2dp Bluetooth technology for stereo audio delivery. Which is known for dulling the overall soundstage somewhat, and diminishing some of the detail a bit as well. There is a newer technology called aptx that comes closer to delivering the full sound experience of a higher bitrate AAC/MP3. Several android phones including potentially the one you had support it, while the iPhone does not. If your using the same headset between both and noting the difference that could be what your noticing.

5. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Vehicles seem to be the most finicky. I agree, I have a JBL surround set up in my residence and it's crystal clear.

6. nickchallis92 macrumors 6502a

nickchallis92

Basically post 4.

The bluetooth on iPhones just isn't as advanced as its competitors.

7. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

Sound quality over Bluetooth is Limited to 16-bit 192kbps
    Vs.
    3.5mm Jack can support 24-bit 256kbps

Or via Bluetooth using aptX or aptXHD but both devices which Apple does not support.

8. Marshall73 macrumors 65816

Marshall73

IOS devices support MPEG2 and MP4 AAC over Bluetooth to provide higher quality although not all devices support it. This provides higher bitrates to supported devices.

9. KSJ01 macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Feb 27, 2018 ---
    Exact same issue. mac os latest/bose qc35. Tricky to get to work consistently without resetting the system. Trying the posted fix. tx.