iPhone 7 sounds more & more like 6SS?

Quicklite

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 1, 2011
I'm getting more and more a sense that iPhone 7 this year - might be a S version of the 6S?

OLED screen / newer material / possibly wireless charger are all suppose to be next year - doesn't that give you the sense that this year is all about "consolidation" - managing against the inevitable volume decline - but not proactively pushing back against it. Where as the battle starts next year...

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
No point in upgrading this year at all if you have the 6s and 6s+. Me thinks Apple may have made a mistake and the sales will show it this September until next September. Just a guess

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
They are saving it all for 2017, the 10th year of the iPhone. The iPhone 7 will still be very popular and include new features and have new chips, it just won't look majorly different on the outside.

off_piste

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2015
As I said in another thread, it doesn't matter to us on the Apple iPhone upgrade program. The 6ss will be better than the 6s and we'll still get the 7 next year. I don't like keeping a phone two years much less three.

Reactions: DMVillain

ZEEN0j

macrumors 65832
Sep 29, 2014
While I would like a new design as I've had the 6 for soon two years this won't bother me that much either if it's true. My contract is ending in September and I'm switching operator where I'll have the possibility to switch to a new phone every year.

matt_on_a_mtn

Suspended
Mar 25, 2016
I think Apple is going to make the 7 a similar model to the 6s - with some good features of course - but similar regardless.

With that they'll have a range in place (SE, 7, 7 plus) that's highly refined for their respective designs.

Like others have said, 2017 will be the major redesign and big advancement, which I suspect will be across the board - 4", 4.7", and 5.5". It's the 10 year mark, and an ideal time to make a leap forward.

Chatter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Uphill from Downtown
Let me be the contrarian - why does it sound like that? Leaked parts? Fuzzy pictures? Not really right.

This is all based on random guesses by people that issues notes and then revise them as they feel like it. Aren't we are all still waiting for our liquidmetal phone that also pulls espresso shots? I can assure you that Apple is more concerned about their sales volume than you or I.

Reactions: xixi.li and Armen

latweek

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2015
ATT Next gives new iPhone every year. So it doesn't matter to me either.
Not to criticize you, but isn't this just what Apple/Corporate America want? Folks paying their tithe regularly, while features and innovation stagnate? In other words, isn't this model a disincentive for the producer to deliver value to the consumer, who just pay either way, rain or shine. Permanent renters.

cambookpro

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Wouldn't be the first time that the iPhone had similar designs for three years in a row (iPhone, 3G, 3GS).

To be fair though, those were times when Apple wasn't as pressured to innovate as much as it is now.
Not really that sure the 2G was that similar to the 3G. The all-plastic 3G was a pretty big departure.

Anyway, I'm not that excited for the 6ss. Call me shallow, but I like shiny new designs.

off_piste

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2015
Not to criticize you, but isn't this just what Apple/Corporate America want? Folks paying their tithe regularly, while features and innovation stagnate? In other words, isn't this model a disincentive for the producer to deliver value to the consumer, who just pay either way, rain or shine. Permanent renters.
Disincentive? If their phone fails to deliver I can always keep my phone the same as every other consumer. Besides, the competition provides much of the incentive here. We've hit a pretty high saturation point where domestic sales largely cannibalize other phone manufacturers rather than a new market.

latweek

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2015
Disincentive? If their phone fails to deliver I can always keep my phone the same as every other consumer. Besides, the competition provides much of the incentive here. We've hit a pretty high saturation point where domestic sales largely cannibalize other phone manufacturers rather than a new market.
Well, if keeping the same phone is where the bar is for you......go for it.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
They are saving it all for 2017, the 10th year of the iPhone. The iPhone 7 will still be very popular and include new features and have new chips, it just won't look majorly different on the outside.
Ya all internal and minor upgrades. So it would be iPhone 6sS haha

off_piste

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2015
Well, if keeping the same phone is where the bar is for you......go for it.
Your post doesn't make sense in the context of this thread. We're talking market incentive to create better products in the future. Me pointing out that the incentive is still there because users on a yearly upgrade program don't actually have to upgrade yearly (like every other consumer) is a strange statement to base your post.

Reactions: ABC5S

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Wouldn't be the first time that the iPhone had similar designs for three years in a row (iPhone, 3G, 3GS).

To be fair though, those were times when Apple wasn't as pressured to innovate as much as it is now.
iPhone and iPhone 3G, 3GS were different.

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2011
ATT Next gives new iPhone every year. So it doesn't matter to me either.
It's more like you are leasing the phone from AT&T and giving it back to them after using it for a year and foregoing all the monthly payments you have made until then. It would make sense to payoff the old phone outright and sell it and buy a new one. Better yet, switch to the AT&T Next 18 plan and get a new phone every two years, unless you need to have a new iPhone every year for some reason.

Reactions: PaladinGuy

Scarpad

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
I'm getting more and more a sense that iPhone 7 this year - might be a S version of the 6S?

OLED screen / newer material / possibly wireless charger are all suppose to be next year - doesn't that give you the sense that this year is all about "consolidation" - managing against the inevitable volume decline - but not proactively pushing back against it. Where as the battle starts next year...
Yeah we still have 6 months before we find out but i'm thinking i might hold onto my 6plus just a little longer it really is in excellent condition, still does everything i do with the phone with not issue, i'd hate to go to an iphone 7 and a nominal update and then have an OLED screen and massive features for the 2017 phone so i might try to eak another year or two out of it

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

This is not an Apple problem. This is a Smartphone industry problem. Smartphones have matured in recent years.

You know there aren't too many new "amazing" smartphone features when companies like Samsung are marketing Water resistance as a major feature and paying Lil Wayne millions to pour champagne on his S7.