iPhone 7 stereo speakers

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Super Xander, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Super Xander macrumors regular

Super Xander

I want to know how your iPhone 7 and 7 Plus stereo speakers sound, the small secondary speaker that is also used for phonecall seems very low and flat compared to the bottom speaker.

I tried a stereo speaker test and it is clear that the there is a difference, you can barely hear the small one. Yet I compared it to iPhone 6s and there was like no differences at all and not the 2 times louder speaker than I thought?

2. cababah macrumors 68000

Never had a 6s+ but coming from a 6+, my 7+ stereo speakers sound amazing. Loud and clear and I rarely have to max out the phone speaker volume while on calls like with the tinny and flat sounding speakers of the 6+.

The stereo speakers are one of my favorite features on the 7+.

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

That doesn't right. Both the earpiece Speaker and grill Speaker are fairly loud in my 7 Plus, even though the earpiece Speaker doesn't override the grill Speaker in terms of loudness. I can easily discern the differences between both of them when they are being used for media and speakerphone calls. And I also have my volume set at half and it's loud enough to hear sound emitting from both speakers.

4. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

Lol...built in stereo speakers in a phone is just some marketing hoax. With my iPhone,I use a pair of old Sony Walkman speakers connected to headphone jack,sounds far better than any built in speakers,regardless of phone model or brand.

5. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Based off your post, It's likely evident you have little experience with the stereo speakers on the iPhone 7 Plus. Also, You're comparing Sony wired speakers from a set of speakers built into the iPhone, which has no relevance really.

Furthermore, The whole point of the stereo speakers is to create a separation of sound emanating from the earpiece and the bottom grill speaker to give it a more well-balanced, louder, Crisp sound. If you had any experience with the iPhone 7 Plus speakers, you would know they have a distinguished sound from any other iPhone.

Granted, the stereo speakers on the iPhone 7 Plus are not intended to compete with external speakers, they were designed to give the iPhone user the mobility of having astute sound for media and phone calls. They sound amazing.

6. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

Actually I compared with the iPhone 7 and 7 plus among other phones. Yes,the iPhone 7 is good for a phone,but as my wired speakers are small enough to fit in my coat pockets,and has a sound quality far beyond a phone,I prefer them when not using headphones. The speakers I use was from the beginning designed for the Sony sports Walkman recorder,so they are designed for mobility,weather resistance and sound quality. Back in those days,that kind of speakers where common at beach parties or picnics.

7. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I Can't say the iPhone 7 Plus stereo speakers sound better then any set of portable wired speakers, but I can say with confidence, there is no other phone on the market that can compare to the iPhone stereo speakers that boast the sound they do. You would be surprised how many iPhone users would say the stereo speakers is their favorite feature on the iPhone 7.

8. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

@Super Xander - I agree. The bottom speaker always completely drowns out my top speaker. To even hear the top speaker at all I have to obstruct the bottom one. It's, unfortunately, always been this way with my iPhone 7.

@Stefan johansson - Off topic and unhelpful. Not sure why you bothered chiming in.

9. Super Xander thread starter macrumors regular

Super Xander

Thanks for the help, it feels like the bottom speaker overrides the earpieces playing. I may call Apple Support for help. It is the first production-line of iPhone 7 Jet Black, so maybe there could have been some production issues on speakers.

10. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Please let me know what they say about it.

11. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

What's strange is that I can hear both channels just fine. The bottom speaker is a tad louder than the earpiece speaker, but that's about it. I own an iPhone 7 Plus.

12. cbreze macrumors 6502a

cbreze

The top speaker is a lower volume. I think it is more for the richness of sound(added treble) than to provide equal volume. It sounds pretty good to me and between my 7 and HTC 10 I've become quite spoiled by dual speakers. Might be hard for me to put up with less.

13. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The top speaker/earpiece speaker is slightly lower in volume. Where as the bottom grill speaker is louder and has more of a nuanced bass tone if you will.

14. Wide opeN macrumors 6502a

Wide opeN

This is one those innovations that is not fully appreciated.

Love this feature.

15. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Has anyone taken this issue to Apple? If so, what did they say/do?