iPhone 7 strange audio level jumps when camera opened, EQ issue

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ChadKerley, Apr 21, 2017.

1. ChadKerley macrumors newbie

ChadKerley

While working in the garage last night, I needed to snap a quick picture of a project. At the time, I was streaming music to a Bluetooth speaker (DeWalt) from my iPhone 7. When I opened the camera app, the audio cut out for a split-second but when it returned the volume was noticeably louder. As soon as I closed the camera app, the volume went back down to its previous level. I initially passed it off as some sort of a glitch with the speaker. Over the next couple of hours, the same thing happened each time I used the camera (but did not happen when using any other apps). I still chalked it up to something wonky with the speaker.

Just for giggles, I tried to reproduce the issue this morning with a different Bluetooth speaker (Bose) and to my surprise the same thing occurred. On my way to work, I plugged the phone into the auxiliary jack in my truck (using Lightning to 3.5mm adapter) and, just as it did over Bluetooth, the audio level jumped dramatically. I also noted the audio range seemed to expand as the lows and highs became more prevalent and the music sounded substantially cleaner and clearer. Once at work, I was able to replicate the volume shift on a third Bluetooth speaker (Jawbone). The volume change occurred each time the camera was active on-screen whether through the app or in iMessage.

Because the same thing happens over Bluetooth with a variety of different branded speakers as well as over a physical connection, it seemed to me this was a software matter rather than hardware. I started digging around through the audio settings changing various things to see if the issue persisted. The EQ was set to "Late Night" and changing that setting to any other seemed to fix the glitch. However, it seems that none of the other EQ settings alter the audio in any way. So, in isolating the potential source of a minor annoyance, I've unwittingly discovered another issue (which is also only a minor annoyance as I can't even remember the last time I fiddled with the EQ settings).

So, after a long lead-up, my questions are these:
    1. Has anyone else had a similar experience with volume jumps?
    2. Could this be a hardware issue rather than software? (I don't have access to another iPhone 7 at the moment to test)
    3. Are the EQ settings working for others? Is there really a reason to even use the built-in EQ?
    4. Is there a possibility the camera is somehow overriding the EQ?
    5. Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego? I've been looking for her since 1985!

2. winmaciek macrumors newbie

winmaciek

I used to have similar thing (playback cut for a second or two) when opening camera as well. I was also using some bluetooth speakers and headphones. Now I'm on third iOS 10.3.2 beta and it's been fixed.