Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ferid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2021
Hi,

I received an iPhone 7 from a friend. For what I know this device hasn't been updated for a while and the owner doesn't have a backup. It has been used for a long time while constantly running out or free memory.
Now the iPhone won't start any more and seems stuck in recovery mode. The owner doesn't want to lose the precious media and is seeking for a possibility to save its data (willing to pay).
I tried 3utools to update the device in recovery and DFU mode. I don't know of anything else to try. Or perhaps someone knows a pro that can fix this issue.
Any help would be appreciated :)

Lekro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
It is error 9 in iTunes. Long term issue with iOS. If it is out of space and you try to update, it throws error 9 and won’t boot.

Unfortunately the data on the phone is not recoverable even if you desolder the NAND and try to read it externally.

ferid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2021
Thank you for the reply Lekro.
That was indeed my next question, if it would be possible to desolder the NAND, copy the data to a larger capacity and update the FW.
So basically there are no possibilities to recover any data in any way?

Lekro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
The NAND can be read externally but due to the encryption the data on it is nonsense when it is read in a direct way like that. It needs the key for decryption.

Edit: Sorry but there is no way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.