Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
They broke out all you data into categories, you now have to drill into everything rather then get to see everything at a glance in the dashboard.

Check out this thread - https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/health-app-is-terrible-now.1987381/

I posted some screenshots and video.
Holy ****, what a joke.

I legitimately think at this point they are changing things, just to have changed something and for the UI not getting "stale".

Well, it works, relearning apps all the damn time with UIs that become less and less simple to use certainly DOES shake things up.

Glassed Silver:mac

Last edited:
Reactions: cmichaelb

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
Holy ****, what a joke.

I legitimately think at this point they are changing things, just to have changed something and for UI not getting "stale".

Well, it works, relearning apps all the damn time with UIs that become less and less simple to use certainly DOES shake things up.

Glassed Silver:mac

LOL if I had wanted that I'd use a Windows Phone :eek:

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
To all those "courage" bashers:

His last few lines in the video really summed it up: "People pay us to make those choices... [and to] make the best products we can. And if we succeed, they'll buy it. If we don't, they won't. And it will all work itself out."

We really get worked up for no reason. Apple will listen to the market. All we have to do is vote with our dollars. Money is the only language as far as companies are concerned. The simplicity of it is actually kind of beautiful.

FliccC

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2016
As a proud iPhone 4 user, I can say that I feel the lack of RAM in my device.

When the iPhone 4 came out it had double the amount of RAM than it's predecessor, the 3GS. A whopping 512MB!

I never had any troubles with my device until Apple pushed iOS 7 which, for some reason, completely slowed my device down. Literally everything now requires more time to load. Had they sold the iPhone with 1GB of RAM I might still be able to use it, like it was new and straight out of the box. And I don't think 2GB for the iPhone 7 will be better future proofing than what they did with the iPhone 4.

My point is, Apple's business is selling technological advancements to their customers. Now by cutting down on RAM they make sure, their customers will be coming back sooner in order to get the next tech advancements from them. I think it would've been possible to put double the amount of RAM into both the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 plus. Both in terms of price and space. And they didn't do it.

Reactions: DCIFRTHS

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
It has 3 audio amps!
Nope, it can't possibly have a third audio amp for the Lightning headphones, because that would only be useful if they're sending out an analog signal, and I was assured by folks on this very forum that Apple would absolutely, positively, never run analog audio through the Lightning connector.

Reactions: DCIFRTHS

Gilligan's last elephant

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2016
Interesting to see that the space where the headphone jack should be is taken up by a pointless plastic spacer and the equality pointless taptic engine, which nobody wanted or sees the point of. Proving as expected that removing vital ports is ideological as well as commercial (lightning lock in). If Samsung and the rest follow Apple on this it really will be a sad day for tech. There blind leading the blind into a dead end of stupidity.
If Samsung etc got rid of headphone jack for USB-C, they would be copying Motorola, not Apple.

Bonsai1214

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2008
Penfield, NY

When the iPhone 4 came out it had double the amount of RAM than it's predecessor, the 3GS. A whopping 512MB!
THERE ARE DOZENS OF US STILL ON THE IPHONE 4.

that said, i'm probably going to update this weekend. it's about time!

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland

I never had any troubles with my device until Apple pushed iOS 7 which, for some reason, completely slowed my device down. Literally everything now requires more time to load. Had they sold the iPhone with 1GB of RAM I might still be able to use it, like it was new and straight out of the box. And I don't think 2GB for the iPhone 7 will be better future proofing than what they did with the iPhone 4.

My point is, Apple's business is selling technological advancements to their customers. Now by cutting down on RAM they make sure, their customers will be coming back sooner in order to get the next tech advancements from them. I think it would've been possible to put double the amount of RAM into both the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 plus. Both in terms of price and space. And they didn't do it.

Congratulations on your dedication to still have that phone and still use it.

I have an iPhone 4 that up until recently was still being used during development. It was/is annoyingly slow, I'd be pulling my hair out if I had to use it as my daily.

But, for a 6 year old phone to be doing as well as it does isn't at all bad in my book. Plus you also have to take into consideration the relative useful extent of a given RAM capacity. 512 is not a lot, not by any measure. But by the time you get to 2GB and above with iOS it's useful life is considerably longer.

Sure there's going to come a point when we need more, but that's a fair way off yet. When Apple start making 3 or 4GB the minimum installed RAM in all of their devices, then we can start thinking we're going to be in for slowdown on older devices before long. But as long as Apple are happy for it to be 2GB we needn't worry.

I mean I'm running my 6+, with its 1GB of RAM and other than reloading in Safari there's nothing troublesome about its performance. So if 1GB can handle the OS happily, it's a safe bet that 2GB will handle it for many a year yet. They aren't all of a sudden next year going to bombshell their hundreds of millions of customers and release a version of iOS that only the iPhone 8 will comfortably run. If history has taught us anything, it's that that's not how Apple play the game.

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
The A10 is an absolutely fantastic SoC. But we're starting to hit the law of dminishing returns for mobile phone CPU performance. An A9 to A10 is not likely going to yield significantly large performance gains in everyday life because the A9 itself was already blazingly fast. when your App load times for most normal apps is in the miliseconds, a 10% increase isn't going to be really noticed.

Take away the most commonly used port in the world for audio, and people are going to notice.

So no, it's not amazing that the focus is on a functionality removal, and not an incremental update thats not going to be noticed by most.

Nail on the head.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Slow Clap! Bravo!

Bonus on this statement ...
Jobs: "And people call us crazy"
Mossberg: "Or at least premature, maybe"
Jobs: "No, they call us CRAZY"

Sometimes it's the Crazy Ones ...

^ Yup! That's why I love this company, all the hate, spite, spittle against them, drives them, helps them strive to be better! Not just in their technology either.

Reactions: Superhappytree

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
What surprised me the most about the teardown is that iFixIt gave both the 7 and the Plus a repairability score of 7, which I think is the first time an iPhone has ever gotten that high a score from them.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
I ordered the normal iPhone 7 Silver. Dude since the iPhone 6S got 2 gb ram the phone is blazing fast, I'm certainly not worried about needing 3 GB ram. Especially when testers have already said they cant see any difference in real world performance between the 7 plus an the norm 7.

Will that change in a year or two when apps begin to expect more RAM.

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
Slow Clap! Bravo!

Bonus on this statement ...
Jobs: "And people call us crazy"
Mossberg: "Or at least premature, maybe"
Jobs: "No, they call us CRAZY"

Sometimes it's the Crazy Ones ...

^ Yup! That's why I love this company, all the hate, spite, spittle against them, drives them, helps them strive to be better! Not just in their technology either.

Strives to do better, prime example the humpback battery case for the iPhone. Apple used to have vision in design for form and function. Must have just been Steve Jobs.

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
Exactly, Apple deserves a lot of credit for the efficiency OS/Hardware integration.
But this isn't what Apple emphasizes. They do have better processors in their phones and tighter integration between phone/OS/apps--side note, better integration doesn't make them better apps-- These things are performance advantages that are measurable and real. Make sure you have no physical surprises (like the overblown bend-gate for the iPhone 6 or like Samsung's explodo-phone right now) and then concentrate on what makes your phone superior.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Nope, it can't possibly have a third audio amp for the Lightning headphones, because that would only be useful if they're sending out an analog signal, and I was assured by folks on this very forum that Apple would absolutely, positively, never run analog audio through the Lightning connector.

I don't know what it means, frankly, and I'm going nuts waiting for someone to tear down the EarPods and Headphone Adapter. My $9 headphone adapter is sitting here, in danger of being ripped apart tonight ... but I figure I'll stick it out one more day and let iFixit, or somebody else do it for me.

Lightning is more than capable of routing an analogue signal out. But Apple's never put it in the specs, nor allowed anyone to do it. If Apple has done this themselves, they've actually opened the door to a whole lot of crap analogue peripherals, like we used to have under the 30-pin dock. Because now, third parties don't have to spend as much to put DAC's and amps into their chipsets, so it makes the MFi license fee more affordable, routing the analogue signal into anything they want.

Whenever I addressed this during the last year, I always prefaced that it was unlikely Apple would go this route, since they eschewed it with their Lightning docks, and 30-pin adapters, and disallowed it under their previous licenses. So this is a major reversal in their policies -- almost on the level of putting the headphone jack back in next year's iPhone. If they did this, then it's not surprising that people said it would never happen.

But the worst part is, this would make it the equivalent of the original iPhone headphone jack adapter that just extended the headphone jack a few inches, with a smaller plug to fit into the iPhone case, allowing people to use non-Apple headphones, which mostly had incompatible plugs. In other words, an adapter that just changes the shape of the plug, and nothing else. Now, that's not to say that people won't be able to buy much higher quality headphones, with custom DACs. But again if Apple did this, they kind of screwed an entire industry by allowing new manufacturers the ability to jump in with a cheap analogue passthrough, and it's most likely to cause serious confusion in the marketplace, as people who buy Lightning equipped headphones won't perceive the difference that one is a digital interface with a superior DAC and custom matched amp, and the other is a simple passthrough of the iPhone's analogue port. They will just know one is more expensive than the other, and assume they're getting the same thing.

I really can't wait for that teardown.

Reactions: mwb and CarlJ

redpandadev

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2014

The move to remove the headphone jack in the 7 is not courageous. It would be courageous if they had not put an adaptor in the box. Steve did not put a USB -> Serial adaptor or a USB Floppy drive in the iMac box, nor did he put a USB SuperDrive in the box of the first MacBook Air or MacBook Pro Retina. By putting the adaptor in the box, they are not allowed to call themselves courageous.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
The move to remove the headphone jack in the 7 is not courageous. It would be courageous if they had not put an adaptor in the box. Steve did not put a USB -> Serial adaptor or a USB Floppy drive in the iMac box, nor did he put a USB SuperDrive in the box of the first MacBook Air or MacBook Pro Retina. By putting the adaptor in the box, they are not allowed to call themselves courageous.
Context is everything.

Back then, Apple's user base was smaller, more loyal and generally more willing to roll with whatever new initiative Apple put out (why else would you stick with a then-dying platform on the verge of bankruptcy?). This gave Apple a lot of leeway to introduce and do away with technologies as they deemed fit.

Today, Apple has a larger and more diverse user base, and not all of them are interested in waging a platform war on Apple's behalf. Their inclusion of an adaptor is a necessary concession to consumers who would be legitimately inconvenienced by the removal of the headphone jack.

To ignore the facts and the reality in front of you and insisting on shipping the iPhone without the appropriate adaptor wouldn't be courage. It would be foolhardiness. Apple is no simpleton. They know exactly what they can and cannot get away with.

bob99

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2010
Strives to do better, prime example the humpback battery case for the iPhone. Apple used to have vision in design for form and function. Must have just been Steve Jobs.

Spoken like someone who has never used an off-brand battery case. Come back after you've wedged an iPhone into a thick, hard-shell, 2-piece POS Mophie case. Make sure you bring a MicroUSB cable to charge it. Toss in a pair of pliers to yank the phone out of that plastic monstrosity when you want to remove the case. Remember to manually switch on the power to charge it. Enjoy the no software integration.

"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works." - Steve Jobs

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Spoken like someone who has never used an off-brand battery case. Come back after you've wedged an iPhone into a thick, hard-shell, 2-piece POS Mophie case. Make sure you bring a MicroUSB cable to charge it. Toss in a pair of pliers to yank the phone out of that plastic monstrosity when you want to remove the case. Remember to manually switch on the power to charge it. Enjoy the no software integration.

"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works." - Steve Jobs

True, but there's certainly no harm in something being aesthetically pleasing as well as functionally beautiful. Don't get me wrong it's not as if I sit and stare at my various gubbins thinking, oh my what a beautiful phone/TV/kettle. But it's only natural that we do see them and when that happens I like a bit of eye candy :D

But then, I'm one of those odd folks who'd gladly have an extra mm added to the thickness of my iPhone so that it would lie flat and not have a bloody camera bump to ruin its otherwise nice smooth lines. I never used a case on any iPhone until the 6 series came along and got all lumpy and bumpy.

We could even get more battery life thrown into the bargain and that's never a bad thing. Or maybe wireless charging, or both. And before someone inevitably says it, no it really wouldn't be any harder to hold with such a small change. Trust me, with severe nerve damage I'm more than well aware of how every little helps, but if I could manage that extra mm or so, so could anyone else. Hell, my iPhones thicker than that thanks to having to use a case to get the bugger to lie properly flat.

Where was I going with this, oh yeah design (bloody lack of sleep) Design may well be the sum of all parts, but let's have really nice parts, why not.

Oh and incidentally, not that I use them anymore, but I never had issues fitting or removing my old Mophie battery cases, they were nice and easy in that respect. Having to use a Micro-USB though, I'll give you, that's a pain in the but oh well, such are the joys :D

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
I don't know what it means, frankly, and I'm going nuts waiting for someone to tear down the EarPods and Headphone Adapter. My $9 headphone adapter is sitting here, in danger of being ripped apart tonight ... but I figure I'll stick it out one more day and let iFixit, or somebody else do it for me.

Lightning is more than capable of routing an analogue signal out. But Apple's never put it in the specs, nor allowed anyone to do it. If Apple has done this themselves, they've actually opened the door to a whole lot of crap analogue peripherals, like we used to have under the 30-pin dock. Because now, third parties don't have to spend as much to put DAC's and amps into their chipsets, so it makes the MFi license fee more affordable, routing the analogue signal into anything they want.

Whenever I addressed this during the last year, I always prefaced that it was unlikely Apple would go this route, since they eschewed it with their Lightning docks, and 30-pin adapters, and disallowed it under their previous licenses. So this is a major reversal in their policies -- almost on the level of putting the headphone jack back in next year's iPhone. If they did this, then it's not surprising that people said it would never happen.

But the worst part is, this would make it the equivalent of the original iPhone headphone jack adapter that just extended the headphone jack a few inches, with a smaller plug to fit into the iPhone case, allowing people to use non-Apple headphones, which mostly had incompatible plugs. In other words, an adapter that just changes the shape of the plug, and nothing else. Now, that's not to say that people won't be able to buy much higher quality headphones, with custom DACs. But again if Apple did this, they kind of screwed an entire industry by allowing new manufacturers the ability to jump in with a cheap analogue passthrough, and it's most likely to cause serious confusion in the marketplace, as people who buy Lightning equipped headphones won't perceive the difference that one is a digital interface with a superior DAC and custom matched amp, and the other is a simple passthrough of the iPhone's analogue port. They will just know one is more expensive than the other, and assume they're getting the same thing.

I really can't wait for that teardown.

I'm also really looking forward to a complete tear down, including the audio adapter. I'm really curious as to how they are handling the analog.

I mean, when the Lightning to 30 pin adapter surfaced way, way back in the iPhone 5 days, it included it's own DAC to convert the digital signal from the Lightning port because Lightning was apparently unable to output an analog signal by itself at that time.

It's possible I suppose in theory that since then they have included an onboard DAC for the Lightning port to now somehow directly put out its own analog signal, thereby simplifying the whole 3.5mm adapter business. I'm just less than convinced that's what they will have done, there's probably more benefit to the DAC being separated from the iPhone (in Apples eyes) despite the inevitable cost.

Or have they crammed a teeny weeny little DAC into that 3.5mm adapter? Off the cuff I'm inclined to think that's probably what they're doing. If I remember rightly all of the Lightning headphones so far have their own DACs so who knows.

Of course I could be bleathering utter arse gravy. I've had less than an hours sleep, my nerve damage is acting up something rotten and I've literally had enough morphine (among other things) this morning to kill a cow. So me poor wee brain isn't at it's best and before someone else says it, is it ever at it's best :D

Reactions: LordVic

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
A Nokia is still adequate. You don't buy a new 759 € computer for its adequacy. At this price point it's all about desirability.

Then your sadly mistaken, because the point was depending on your usage with the phone and how you USE the iPhone for certain tasks. Price was never a contributing point to my comment to begin with. Adequate for usage, not price point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.