Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Howyalikdemapls

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 2, 2013
I'm 99% sure the next iPhone will have a lightning connector on the end that plugs into the phone, but what about the end that plugs into the power adaptor or a computer? I'm thinking this may be a good year for them to switch to USB-C. Thoughts?

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona
I'm 99% sure the next iPhone will have a lightning connector on the end that plugs into the phone, but what about the end that plugs into the power adaptor or a computer? I'm thinking this may be a good year for them to switch to USB-C. Thoughts?

Well they do sell a Lighting to USB-C Cable Separately and so far only the Macbook uses USB-C and not everyones computer has USB-C.

Reactions: Digital Skunk

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Well they do sell a Lighting to USB-C Cable Separately and so far only the Macbook uses USB-C and not everyones computer has USB-C.

it's way more widespread than that:

Most cars, hotels and other locations only offer standard USB ports.
none of the existing iOS chargers will work without an adapter.

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona

That is true, plus more and more business are adding outlets with usb ports built in so the cable end won't change and if someone needs the UBC-C version then they can buy the cable separately. What they need to do is upgrade the cable to make it USB 3.0 compatible.

Howyalikdemapls

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 2, 2013

Eventually the standard will switch to USB-C though, no? It doesn't really seem like it will ever be an easy transition. Lots of hotels used to have iHomes with Apple's 20 pin connector and there was certainly outrage when they switched to Lightning, but everybody has adapted to it now.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Eventually the standard will switch to USB-C though, no? It doesn't really seem like it will ever be an easy transition. Lots of hotels used to have iHomes with Apple's 20 pin connector and there was certainly outrage when they switched to Lightning, but everybody has adapted to it now.

You were saying to possibly change the USB on the cable itself not the device.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010

No headphone jack, and a sync cable that's lighting to USB-C, even though most computers still don't have that port?

What else could they do to alienate consumers? Maybe make it so that Siri only speaks and responds to Latin?

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
I am expecting that Apple might switch the charging port to USB-C and ship it with the same charging block that comes with the rMB. The reason being, is that I think the new Beats Lightning headphones that they will announce along side it, will have both a USB-C port and a Lightning port. In which case, it will use the same cable to connect to the iPhone as the iPhone uses to charge, meaning a person could travel with one cable for everything. And, just flip the cable around and it becomes the charging cable for the headphones. I also expect them to add a Lightning port to the rMB, so literally one cable and charger can be used for everything. That would be a huge improvement in mobile travel.

The other way this could go down, is they introduce a new charging block with both a USB-A and a Lightning port. That still allows the headphones to plug into it to charge, while maintaining the USB-A standard for a while longer -- but that just doesn't sound like Apple. If they're going USB-C, then why hold back? Besides USB-A cables are a dime a dozen.

Reactions: Howyalikdemapls

chasonstone

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2010
Kentucky
From the company that jumped to housing exclusively one USB-C port on their MacBook, I think it's entirely possible. If they're jumping on the USB-C push I wish they would sooner rather than later. But I wish they'd go USB-C on the iPhone port too. I feel like they need to update the entire mac lineup to have at least one USB-c port as well, right now you need to have adapters just to move about the current lineup of Apple products and it's messy.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
If they went USB C I would buy one if they changed nothing else simply to support this move. USB C would be a lovely decision to go from proprietary to a standard. As you say, not likely.

Reactions: bluespark

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
It going be a while before USB-C is the norm. Try 5 years or longer! I have most my computers and chargers are USB 2.0 and they are pretty new. I only have one brand new computer and it has two USB-C inputs and tons of USB 3.0 inputs but it a Workstation Desktop Lenovo. A Lenovo Thinkpad that has USB 3.0 inputs but no USB-C. Otherwise, the rest are only 2.0!

lchlch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2015
I think that the charging cable will have lightning at one end and usb c on the other end.

The new MacBook Pro is rumored to have only usb c ports and the current MacBook only has 1 usb c port. It doesn't make sense if you can't plug your phone into your computer.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Maybe Apple would ditch Lightning for USB-C on the phone side before going USB-C on the computer side. But if both ends do go to USB-C then the charging cable will no longer be directional so I could potentially extend its life by spreading out fatigue to both ends.

Howyalikdemapls

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 2, 2013
Here's what people have recently thought about this kind of thing: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/will-the-iphone-7-use-usb-c.1969051/
That thread is a blend of two topics: if it is possible to charge an iPhone from a USB-C port (which yes it is possible), and people questioning if they'll replace the Lightning port with a USB-C port (which no they won't).

My question is if people think Apple might replace the standard power adapter and lightning cable included with an iPhone with a USB-C lightning cable and USB-C power adapter.
[doublepost=1471674067][/doublepost]
You were saying to possibly change the USB on the cable itself not the device.
Ya. People were just saying that Apple wouldn't switch to 'USB-C to Lightning cables' because so many places like hotels use the standard rectangular USB-A port and that it would be too much effort to switch to the new USB-C port. But many places like hotels have had to adapt from the 20-pin to Lightning and while it was a bit of a pain, it happened. I'm sure hotels and other places will eventually adapt from USB-A ports to USB-C too.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
That thread is a blend of two topics: if it is possible to charge an iPhone from a USB-C port (which yes it is possible), and people questioning if they'll replace the Lightning port with a USB-C port (which no they won't).

My question is if people think Apple might replace the standard power adapter and lightning cable included with an iPhone with a USB-C lightning cable and USB-C power adapter.
[doublepost=1471674067][/doublepost]
Ya. People were just saying that Apple wouldn't switch to 'USB-C to Lightning cables' because so many places like hotels use the standard rectangular USB-A port and that it would be too much effort to switch to the new USB-C port. But many places like hotels have had to adapt from the 20-pin to Lightning and while it was a bit of a pain, it happened. I'm sure hotels and other places will eventually adapt from USB-A ports to USB-C too.
Interestingly enough while I have and still continue to see hotels with 30-pin adapters, I have yet to come across one with Lightning after all these years. So the "it happened" part hasn't quite happened in at least quite a few places, if not more than that.

Suspended
Apr 4, 2016
i will welcome a lightning->USB-c cable, hence a USB-c power adapter.
it's where future is headed, so they'd better offer it sooner than later.
some considerations:

- current usb-a sockets (computer/car/wall/airport chargers) will be incompatible, not that apple cared much about compatibility in the past.
- a female usb-c to male usb-a adaptor is something very easy and compact, in case we want compatibility.
- the power adapters could shrink, even if just a little bit.
- delivering more power than 5V-1A will be easier and better supported by 3rd parties, since it's part of the usb-c specifications.
- future macs will also transition to usb-c in a matter of months.
- possibly usb 3.0 speed? (i know this is not tied to the -c connector discussion, it's only something i hope to see in the future). currently available only on the 12" ipad pro, right?
- usb-c is reversible

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
I think that the charging cable will have lightning at one end and usb c on the other end.

The new MacBook Pro is rumored to have only usb c ports and the current MacBook only has 1 usb c port. It doesn't make sense if you can't plug your phone into your computer.

I think you're right. Apple is not likely to ship a cable that is incompatible with their new Macs. This is the same reason Apple will add Lightning ports to their new Macs when they drop the headphone jack from the iPhone.

The only people who don't already have at least one USB-A to Lightning cable are customers coming to Aple iOS devices for the first time, or who haven't upgraded in 4 years. So for the vast majority of iPhone "7" customers, getting a new USB-C Lightning cable will not be a problem. It does mean, just like it will for Android phones, that customers will have to travel with both. Of course all Android customers will have to buy brand new USB-A to USB-C cables, whereas most Apple customers will not.

However, until USB-C becomes more common, Apple might rely on the fact that anyone using a MacBook with only USB-C ports is going to have at a minimum, a USB-A to USB-C adapter. And while you can charge your iPhone off of a MacBook, it's to the detriment of the MacBook's battery life. Chances are most are going to plug it into the wall, anyway.

What Apple ought to do, is put several ports into the charging blocks, and make them mini hubs. As I mentioned earlier, I wouldn't be surprised to see
a Lightning port added to the charging block to accomodate Lightning headphones passthrough and charging. It could also be used to charge a MacBook, using the same iPhone/Headphone cables in reverse. So if Apple adds a USB-A port as well, then the charging block can be used with whatever cable someone has on hand, and effectively creating a mini adapter/hub. Seems like an awfully generous move by Apple, but it would solve a lot of problems during this transition to USB-C.

Reactions: lchlch

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
If they went USB C I would buy one if they changed nothing else simply to support this move. USB C would be a lovely decision to go from proprietary to a standard. As you say, not likely.

What the OP is suggesting wouldn't be going from proprietary to standard. He's talking about a lighting to USB-C cable, so it would still be a proprietary connection on the phone, only now connecting to a still far from common connector on the computer.

As I said, getting rid of the standard headphone jack is already going to be a tough pill to swallow for a lot of people, but then having the lightning cable connect to a port that most people don't have on their computer?

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
- current usb-a sockets (computer/car/wall/airport chargers) will be incompatible, not that apple cared much about compatibility in the past.
...except they were one of the first to use USB-A sockets in the charger when other makers were still using chargers with custom, captive cables. Magsafe, 30-pin and lightning all did things which the contemporary standards could not, even their various annoying display connectors were used because the "standards" (VGA, DVI, DisplayPort) had unnecessarily big, chunky connectors.

Meanwhile, I'm nicely endowed with USB-A mains adapters for home, work, travel and it would be... vexing if I had to change.

- a female usb-c to male usb-a adaptor is something very easy and compact, in case we want compatibility.
...as is a female USB-A to male USB-C adapter (which will be the first thing any 12" MacBook user buys)
Meanwhile, forget shipping the same power adapter with the iPhone and the 12" MacBook:

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MJ262LL/A/apple-29w-usb-c-power-adapter?fnode=85
http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD810LL/A/apple-5w-usb-power-adapter?fnode=85

...spot the difference (and there will probably be an even bigger brick for the rMBPs if they switch to USB-C) .

- the power adapters could shrink, even if just a little bit.

I doubt that the USB-A socket is the limiting factor on the size of the power adaptor (the mains plug & coils, more likely). Certainly the UK ones are as small as they can get.
- delivering more power than 5V-1A will be easier and better supported by 3rd parties, since it's part of the usb-c specifications.
Yes, the usb-c specifications... they've worked well (https://www.engadget.com/2015/11/04/google-pixel-engineer-vs-shoddy-usb-type-c-cables/) - that guy may be testing cables, but it doesn't raise great hope for 3rd party chargers, either.
- future macs will also transition to usb-c in a matter of months.
We still don't know the details or the timing. However, the "leaked" case designs seem to rule out MacBook-style tapered cases (which would only leave room for USB-C ports) so its possible that the new MBPs will have both C- and A- ports.

Another consideration here: Skylake CPUs require a separate Thunderbolt 3/USB-C controller for each pair of ports, whereas the next generation "Kaby Lake" will have a controller on-chip. (Remember, Apple delayed the rollout of USB3 until Intel produced CPUs with integrated USB3 controllers). Can't see Apple putting two discrete controllers in a MBP, and I don't think that 2xTB3 plus squat is enough for a MBP (unless Cook and Ive think that the rose gold case option makes up for it), so, I still wouldn't rule out Apple delaying the TB3 rollout until Kaby Lake. Or, going with 2 x TB3 + 2 x USB-A this year and 4 x TB3 (only) when Kaby Lake is available.

End of the day - anybody who is inconvenienced by the lightning-to-USB-A cable can already simply buy one of these (http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0X2AM/A/usb-c-to-lightning-cable-1-m?fnode=85). I'm sure that apple will switch at some time in the future, but its only a cable and doesn't have to be tied in with a major launch.

More likely: Apple decides to stop bundling a mains adapter at all (it is kinda wasteful - I've already got enough adapters & computers with always-powered USB sockets to recharge the moon).

Edit: untangled quotes.

Last edited:

chasonstone

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2010
Kentucky
Also, I think if they really *wanted* to make the transition smooth and easy they could ship chargers with the wall box having female regular ole USB and USB C ports side by side with a usb-c to lightning cable and a small adapter to make it also work in the regular USB. This way if you have a computer with USB-C already or you're ready to jump ship... you can disregard the small adapter. But on the other hand if you rely on the regular USB you can slap the small adapter on the cord and just use it like you've always been using it.

My prediction is they either A) Jump ship and ship a charging box with a USB-C port, and a USB-C to lightning cable. OR B) They stick with what they have until their so called wireless charging solution comes to fruition. Maybe they're thinking the cable will be forgone soon enough and we'll get some small box that transmits electricity in the same vicinity of our current chargers. I don't know how close/if/when/how or anything, but that would be a neat concept. Instead of a cord and a box it's just the box.

Suspended
Apr 4, 2016
@theluggage
but current macbook power adapter CAN also charge iphones and ipads, provided you have the needed lightning cable (i haven't tried personally, it's just what i read in reviews).

the lack of usb3.1 speed in coming skylake is surely an annoyance (i have a 2010 mbp stuck to usb2.0, while every other computer back then already had 3.0, just because the controller wasn't yet integrated in the PCH...). moreover, i don't see apple doing like many competitors usually do: having some usb-c ports with tb3 functionality and some not. but we're getting OT with this now...

the idea of not offering a power adapter anymore is surely tempting, economical and ecological, but what about complaints/damages due to the use of crap-quality power bricks? i don't think they'll ever want to deal with such a risk, the image loss could be huge. (well, maybe i'm over-dramatizing the issue, people already buy crappy adapters and use them all the time, no one i know ever had problems. personally, i wouldn't want to use them, but that's just me because i'm a snob :p )

DarkExistence

Suspended
Aug 11, 2016
I doubt apple will do this. Is would break too many things then. Already breaking people's headphones but not having a proper USB would make.it a hella lot harder for people to connect to computers that arent the macbook

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.