iPhone 7+ Vs. 8+ two days later...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Technarchy, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Short and sweet, here's my impressions of my 2016 Jet Black iPhone 7+ versus my two day 2017 iPhone 8+.

Display:
    iPhone 8+ has a touch better clarity. Contrast is better, and Black levels look more true and deeper. Saturation levels are basically the same with maybe a hint more pop on the 8+, but nothing major. True Tone is OFF, because I prefer cooler displays and True Tone leans warmer to my eyes with more of a "paper white" than "cool ice white." YMMV.

Camera:
    iPhone 8+ captures more detail, has better saturation, produces less "sallow" skin tones. Front facing also has slightly better saturation. 4K 60fps looks great on my 4K TV (MacBook Pro to TV) and 1080p 240fps is quite dramatic. More deep diving on cameras later. It will take more time to really get technical, but it is better than the 7+ which I thought had a blah camera.

Speakers:
    Phone 8+ blows the 7+ away. It's louder, clearer, has better sense of separation. "Hey Siri" is more reliable as well. It actually works from across the room on the first try more often.

Size and Weight:
    7+ cases fit the 8+. The 8+ slightly heavier due to the glass back. Nothing you'll notice in practical use.

Bluetooth:
    My Beats Powerbeats 3 held a connection better on the iPhone 8+ while in the gym. Usually walks to the water fountain with the 7+ on the bench either results in the Beats disconnecting or turning off for a couple of seconds. Music played without interruption with the 8+

Speed and Responsiveness:
    iOS 11 runs about the same on both, with maybe a hint more responsiveness for the 8+. It's so minor that it should NOT factor into your upgrade decision in my opinion. The camera does launch more reliably with the 8+. The 7+ has hesitated on occasion. Nothing major that should cause you to lose the shot though.

Looks and Feel:
    Subjective and personal opinion, but the iPhone 8+ feels and looks more like the first real successor to the iPhone 4. The way the glass meets the metal frame, the clean back panel, the subdued antennas lines, the symmetry and design...it all just comes across more like something Steve Jobs would be proud to hold up and call gorgeous.

Bonus:
    Yes, wireless charging on the 8+ is awesome. I've used it more than wired so far. Though, it's slower than wired, so don't plan on topping off for 5 minutes and getting anything worthwhile. It's for sleeping and tasks like music while doing other stuff.

Prognosis:
    The iPhone 8+ will be staying, and the 7+ is going back to AT&T. 8+ is a worthwhile upgrade for what I do. Again, YMMV.

Final Thoughts:
    If you do opt for the 7+ DO NOT BUY JET BLACK. My 7+ has lived in a case from day one and the finish still looks like it was dogs chew toy. Jet Black has zero abrasion resistance, and will get marred by a cotton ball. Avoid like the plague. I have never had a phone look so bad before. Again, it was in the case the whole time! I will never buy a "Special edition" color again.

2. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

For charging wire, you probably need higher watts, right?

3. Technarchy thread starter macrumors 604

Technarchy

I'm using my iPad charger. I never use the supplied charger. The iPad charger is faster, but not "Fast Charging" fast. You'll need to invest in a new charger and cable for that.

4. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

Any suggestion?

5. dn1978 macrumors newbie

6. Jaekae macrumors 6502a

Its because you used case that the jet black look like chewing toy, its logic that the phone very slightly moves around in the case, so a glossy phone in especially a silicone or rubber case is worst idea ever. My jet black looks like new after a year and never use a case

7. blackberrycubed macrumors 6502a

Clean to the point and very good right up. Thanks.

8. TinaBelcher macrumors 6502a

Do you use iPhone 8 without a case? I've been thinking about getting one and want to rock it caseless. I also had a jet black plus and couldn't handle the idea or keeping it in a case which added thickness to an already very big phone so I downgraded to a smaller in mat black.

9. Technarchy thread starter macrumors 604

Technarchy

Too soon to know. I'll follow up in a week.

We all play with our new toys more than usual and iCloud sync is doing its thing for a couple of days so that impacts overall battery life.

More info soon on battery life.

10. nicho macrumors 68020

Macbook charger.

11. cesarrenato macrumors newbie

cesarrenato

what about taptic engine? some people are saying that more feedback on 8, i don't understand why bc iphone 7 has the same 2nd generation

12. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Exactly. I think the misconception is, is that Jet black should have be in a case to avoid scratches and how can It possibly scratch, when the reality is, cases can be the worst culprit with improper fitting, dirt and debris getting trapped inside the case, which can all be contributors to the scratching.

13. Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

Disagree!!:mad: My all iPhones are in cases and non have any scratches. Brand new just like day one. [​IMG] Thanks to premium spigen cases i use, it adds alot of grip and safety. I have already ordered spigen liquid crystal case for my :apple: iPhone X [​IMG]

14. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

So you disagree with something that you don't even own? You Said yourself you don't on the Jet black model (As you stated you own the Matte Black), which is what I'm specifically referring to, so I'm not sure how your opinion would apply to something that you don't even own or formulate an opinion on, Especially given the Jet black Variant due to the high shine scratches differently over the aluminum models.

Again, not every case for a cell phone will produce the same results. They all vary depending on the material Of the case and the appropriate fit. I am referring to one specific model iPhone, not all of them.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 25, 2017 ---
    Also, premium cases doesn't protect your iPhone any more than a cheap case if dirt/debris is embedded inside, regardless of how expensive it is or not.

15. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

I don’t like to put my phones in cases. That’s why use either bumpers or sleeves.

16. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

OP, enjoy your 8+. Sounds like it is a solid upgrade for you.

17. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

As a side note, I have a couple pixel chargers laying around, and they charge my iPhone 8 plus and iPad Pro 2nd more rapidly than an iPad charger. You need a usb c to lightning cable, of course, but it’s a cheaper option.

The pixel charger was actually powerful enough to charge my 13in MBPtb, before I sold it a while back.

18. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

The display on the 7+ and 8+ are the same.

19. jyyz macrumors regular

Thought I would weigh in on this as well. I moved from a 7+ to an 8+. In my case, I had a 128gb, and was out of space. I was leaning to the X, but certain things turned me off (lower than the + battery life, notch, narrower than X, also the whole X just seems rushed, unfinished. I had a 1st gen iPad, and 1st gen AppleWatch. For this amount of money, I want something fully thought out that I can keep for longer than a year should I choose to.)

I don’t see a huge difference between the 8+ and the 7+. It’s a little better here and there. I went from a 6S+ to a 7+, and that felt a bigger upgrade to me than this. That said I very much like the 8+. The glass back looks great, wireless charging is useful. The screen seems to display things better. I have a picture of my dog on the lock screen. I’ve used the same picture for years. On the 8+ I see details in the pic that were not displayed in previous phones. The camera delivers small but noticeably better pictures. Speakers are a few notches louder and better. I like the look of the 8+. For some it’s an old design, to me it’s a sharp looking, refined, fully realized phone. Not a super exciting upgrade, but happy with the 8+. Had I not needed more storage, (and had I not recently dropped and scratched up my 7+,) I could have kept the 7+ for another year. That said I’m glad I “had” to get the 8+.

20. TL24 macrumors 6502a

TL24

21. shootertwist14 macrumors member

great insights, i'm also on a 7+ and wouldnt mind an 8+ upgrade, though for now i'm still torn, an 8+ or X, but i'm sure either one will do as an upgrade for this year... its great to hear impressions direct from 7+ users who upgraded to 8+

22. Technarchy thread starter macrumors 604

Technarchy

Hmm, it’s very close but I actually think the 7+ has a tiny bit more punch.

It’s probably just variances in manufacturing though so it’s probably the same Taptic components.

23. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

Glad you're liking it! But after 48 hours with mine it's going back. The jet black 7+ looks and feels so much more premium to me, and is 98% the same phone. And as of right now, the speed improvements from the A11 are being negated by the horrible RAM management of iOS 11.

24. roeiz macrumors 65816

roeiz

what does this means?

25. daffie macrumors 6502

daffie

Fully agree. I'm keeping my jet black iphone 7 Plus as well. Been contemplating both the 8+ and the X for a while now.

Only hoping for ios11 to do better in terms of animations and stuttering. I also see the RAM issue...maybe that's the real problem.