iPhone 7 vs iPhone 8

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 4ppleg1rl, Sep 22, 2017.

1. 4ppleg1rl macrumors regular

Hey so sorry for the extra thread. I'm confused with my life at the moment.

I've decided I need more than 32GB storage, I just checked my S7 and I filled up 30GB in 18months... I'm planning to keep this phone for AT LEAST 2 years if not MORE (if I can help it) so obviously 32GB isn't gonna be enough - unless I go through all the effort to move things onto my hard drive.

So here are my options:

1. iPhone 7 - 128GB: £649
    2. iPhone 8 - 64GB: £699

Ideally I didn't even want to spend that much on a phone at all, I got the iPhone 7 for £539 but I know now that 32GB isn't enough so I have to push myself to spend a bit more. But I don't know if it's worth saving that extra £50 for a year old phone or not?

I'm tight with my money, so this is a difficult decision for me:(

2. aakshey macrumors 68000

aakshey

3. txjeep macrumors member

I got to a similar place as you and went with the 8+ 64. I wanted the 128G but decided the newer phone with better processor, camera, and wireless charging was the better option for about the same money. I just need to manage my photos better. I have a 64GB 6+ now, and I am doing ok with that.

4. saltd macrumors 6502a

saltd

Always buy the newest model you can afford.

5. snowman1 macrumors regular

I was in a slightly similar position (iPhone 8 64GB vs. iPhone 7 32GB), but I did not require more than 32GB storage, so I ended up purchasing the iPhone 7 (lots of awesome features in the 8, but I personally did not find them worth the extra $150).

Since you'll be keeping the phone for at least 2 years, I would say go with the 8. I have no doubt that the 7 will last just as long - in fact, I think that the limiting factor in smartphones these days is the lifespan of the battery, not necessarily RAM/CPU power/etc. Thus, the 7 or the 8 should serve you well...but, I think that those extra $50 will get you a slightly better experience over the years with a more advanced processor, better cameras, and a better design.

6. 4ppleg1rl thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I thought that too, if I get the 8 then it's an extra year of guaranteed perfect performance over the 7. I don't think I'd need more than 64GB so 128GB just seems like overkill. My only issue now is that there's no rose-gold 8 :(

Also, does anyone know if existing wireless charging pads would work? I have a cheap one I got for my S7 so there's bonus points for the 8 if it will work...

7. Toonartist macrumors regular

Yes. I'm using a couple of fast charging pads that I used on a Samsung S8 (£15 jobs) and they work fine with an 8+.

8. 4ppleg1rl thread starter macrumors regular

That's great! I have another question, if you don't mind me asking, does the iPhone 8 have fast charging? And if so, will it work with the Samsung fast charging plug? I heard something about needing extra accessories to get it to work!?

9. Toonartist macrumors regular

Not sure. I have the iPad Pro block so that instead of the iPhone one gives a faster charge.... as does a power bank and usb wall sockets. USB wall socket to wireless charger seems to charge the fastest so far but this will depend on the spec of the wall socket.... different ratings/cost etc.

10. First Post G macrumors regular

iPhone 8 does have fast charging but it is not compatible with Samsung quick charge accessories (different standards). Samsung uses a Qualcomm proprietary chip, while Apple is using an open USB fast charge standard. You need an Apple 29W wall adapter (or larger) with a USB-c to Lightning cord. iPad chargers will make charging faster than the supplied iPhone 5W adapter, but does not offer Fast Charge.

11. one more macrumors 6502a

one more

I have just upgraded from SE to 7 to get more screen space. I did check 8 in the store too, but in my case could not find any single reason to justify the price difference between the two. The real game changer should be coming the next year, IMO, a refined version of X, perhaps in a smaller body and with more refined Face ID tech. The day-to-day use difference is hardly noticeable between 7 & 8 and it will take developers a while to make use of all the goodness packed into the A11 chip. You really need to hold 7 & 8 side by side to notice. Also, right now A9 runs iOS 11 just fine (tested with SE). Which means 7 should easily hold it for another two years. Good luck with your decision.

12. Toonartist macrumors regular

I presume that's the wireless chargers they were selling yesterday, about £50 or so.

13. First Post G macrumors regular

Wireless chargers do not fast charge for iPhone. Only wired.

14. Toonartist macrumors regular

Cheers... good to know :)

15. 4ppleg1rl thread starter macrumors regular

32GB or 128GB? I was gonna go for the 7 too but 128GB is only £50 less than the 64GB 8 and 64GB is more than enough for me, so makes sense to go for the 8

16. one more macrumors 6502a

one more

Mine is 32 GB and I only use 17 GB of it at the moment, as lots of things are in the cloud. I use Spotify for music (takes 1,5 GB as some of my playlists are saved for offline lisening) and Google Photos for photos and videos (that takes 130 MB). If you do need more physical storage, however, I agree, £50 between the two is not a big deal.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 23, 2017 ---
    Try Google Photos, works super well and gives you unlimited storage. If you are concerned with privacy, just make a random Google account and use it for your album, so no one will find your photos by your real name.

https://www.google.com/photos/about/

17. apolloa macrumors G4

Hmm a tough choice for sure, I think I’d say get the 8 as it will offer a lot more then bigger storage.

18. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Always spend the least amount to get the results that best accommodates your type of usage.

Example: yesterday I got Series 1 Apple Watch despite having the ability to get the Series 3. For my needs and usage there was zero reason to spend more money.

Let your main needs determine your purchase. And I’m talking real needs. Not making stupid faces with poop emoji.

19. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

iPhone 7.

You'll need to buy extra accessories to use the new charging features, and you will NOT notice the processor. They run just as fast in everyday use.

You will, however, notice a major difference in only having half the available storage.

20. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

Just upgraded my 128GB 7 to a 64GB 8. Better screen, better camera, faster processor, wireless charging. If none of those matter to you I would stick to a 7. I take a lot of pictures so the camera alone is worth the extra price to me.

21. BLUEBLASTER macrumors regular

BLUEBLASTER

I would say 7 128GB or Galaxy S8.

Depending on what your doing I think 64GB is weak on the iphone 8. Apps and games are getting bigger all the time. The reason why I threw in the Galaxy S8 is 64GB on board and you can expand the storage. You wont notice a difference in performance with the 7 to 8 hell there wasn't any difference between the 6s and the 7.

22. George Knighton macrumors 65816

George Knighton

The iPhone 8 on iOS 11 is going to default to HEVC format for photographs.

There is no degradation in quality at all, and the images take up much less space than before.

This is why Apple were comfortable with the 64 GB device when flash memory prices increased.

23. Toonartist macrumors regular

I went for the 64gb but I'll be moving images off the device. I store all photos on my NAS and Plex references there location so the family can see them anywhere on any device.