iPhone 7+ vs iPhone 8

joethier

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2017
Hi, I will be buying an iPhone on black friday here in Canada. I don't have an enormous budget so I'm planning to buy either the 7 Plus or the 8 as they are the same prices. If I buy the 7 Plus, I'm afraid that it will be too old in 1 or 2 years and it will start to be real slow compared to the 8... I like the 7 for the dual cameras but I prefer the 8 because it's smaller and I like it.

Which one should I pick ?

Thanks

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
The A11 Bionic chip in the iPhone 8 is only 25% and 30% faster than the iPhone 7. I wouldn't worry about slowdown because if the 7 slows down, the 8 is right behind it.

Faelan

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
Actually, the 7+ might outlast the 8. It has 3GB of RAM whereas the 8 only has 2GB of RAM. I find RAM to be more important when it comes to making iOS devices last than raw CPU performance. Besides, the CPU is not that much faster in the 8 vs the 7+. Battery life is better in the 7+ as well. The 7+ is a big phone though. You may not like it because of that.

joethier

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2017
Actually, the 7+ might outlast the 8. It has 3GB of RAM whereas the 8 only has 2GB of RAM. I find RAM to be more important when it comes to making iOS devices last than raw CPU performance. Besides, the CPU is not that much faster in the 8 vs the 7+. Battery life is better in the 7+ as well. The 7+ is a big phone though. You may not like it because of that.
I come from an LG G5. What am i going to expect performance wise for the iPhone 8 ?

Faelan

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
The A11 in the 8 blows the Snapdragon 820 in the LG G5 out of the water when it comes to synthetic benchmarks. The 8 has the same CPU as the iPhone X, so it’s current gen flagship performance. In actual use, I’m pretty sure there will be a noticeable difference, but not as big as the benchmarks would suggest. I don’t have access to an Android device anywhere near the specs of the LG G5, so I can’t tell from personal experience. What I can say is that the performance of my 8+ is stellar. Except for a few iOS 11 hiccups here and there, the 8+ just chews up everything I throw at it. I find myself using my phone more way more than I did in the past (came from a 6+) just because the speed makes it so enjoyable to use. It’s like someone took the performance of my 12.9" iPad Pro and just squeezed it down to a 5.5" iPhone.