iPhone 7 wet finger friendly or not?

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
does the screen work with wet finger like Samsung phone? Now it gained water resistance.
No, or Apple surely would have touted it as a "courageous major feature".

Water-resistant means if you drop it in a toilet you won't go running back to Apple crying and demanding a replacement.

BJ

Poochi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Toronto
No, or Apple surely would have touted it as a "courageous major feature".

Water-resistant means if you drop it in a toilet you won't go running back to Apple crying and demanding a replacement.

BJ
How about Apple Watch Series 2? Now swimming proof. Able to use it underwater or with wet fingers?

leesweet

macrumors demi-god
Feb 1, 2009
Northern Virginia, USA
I really doubt they've improved the capacitance screens on either device to work in 'shorting conditions' which is what damp/rainy conditions are. I'd love that, also....

IPXX -> IP67 is 'does dust or water break it at certain levels?' We need a new rating for working in those conditions... :)

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Pasadena, CA
You can interact with the S7 screen while under water or just with a moist finger? I had one and recall it getting all wonky when I tried to use it when it or my finger was wet.

leesweet

macrumors demi-god
Feb 1, 2009
Northern Virginia, USA
You can interact with the S7 screen while under water or just with a moist finger? I had one and recall it getting all wonky when I tried to use it when it or my finger was wet.
There is NO evidence of any changes from past models. Let's shoot this down now. :) The demos on YouTube of the phone working underwater may last for hours, not minutes, but you won't be able to *do* anything with it, any more than before.

MAYBE someone can rig up a case with something that transfers input to the screen? Similar to the cold weather gloves that substitute for your fingers' capacitance... That's another whole idea.

The bare screen itself won't react to your bare fingers when wet anymore than it did on past models.

AbSoluTc

macrumors 601
Sep 21, 2008
does the screen work with wet finger like Samsung phone? Now it gained water resistance.
Considering nobody has tested that and the phone is actually not out until next Friday - your guess is as good as ours. I wonder if anyone thinks before asking questions like this. Like, why do you think anyone here would know this on a brand new phone announced less than 24 hours ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

Poochi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Toronto
Considering nobody has tested that and the phone is actually not out until next Friday - your guess is as good as ours. I wonder if anyone thinks before asking questions like this. Like, why do you think anyone here would know this on a brand new phone announced less than 24 hours ago.
Think about it, people attended the conference yesterday and have already tried out the phone - someone may have also tried the wet finger operation with a glass of water already and can answer this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.