Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
My prediction for next year.
3D touch will remove the need for a physical home button.
I was thinking the same thing myself. We can now activate multitasking by swiping on the display and no longer need to hold down on the home button to trigger Siri. All that's left now is Touch-ID.

ipaddaro

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2014
what about touch ID?

now it is covered by sapphire to prevent scratches that could affect its functioning.

but sapphire is much more prone to crack than glass.
and in addition the 3D touch requires the screen to "bend" a little i think...

maybe there will be an improvement in glass technology (they claim to have done somethinh in this direction with the iphone 6s anyway... let's see...)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Similar threads were made for the S just recently and the argument holds true. Touch ID. There's no way we know what Apple may or may not do but they will have to accommodate Touch ID for one thing.

Reactions: ABC5S

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
No such thing as an iconic home button. It's just a button. And a button can be got rid of.

Sure it is iconic. It's been on every iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch ever made and is synonymous with the iPhone in the mind of consumers. No way they get rid of it next year. Maybe far, far in the future they might but for the next 5+ years I wouldn't count on it going away imo.

Psyfuzz

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2014
The button is key to the customer experience, having a physical button outside of the software gives the user an easy way back to the home screen and was the reason iOS was so easy to learn, if was the 'get out of free' card that allowed new users to feel comfortable exploring the OS.

Removing it would be a mistake.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
I tend to agree that removing the physical home button would be a mistake, but for a different reason. If Apple can implement Touch ID recognition in a virtual button when the display is on, that could be OK. But what about when the iPhone is sleeping? The slightly concave physical button provides a visual and tactile target so you know where to press. How would that work with a virtual one?

Reactions: Jd3774life

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
I tend to agree that removing the physical home button would be a mistake, but for a different reason. If Apple can implement Touch ID recognition in a virtual button when the display is on, that could be OK. But what about when the iPhone is sleeping? The slightly concave physical button provides a visual and tactile target so you know where to press. How would that work with a virtual one?

LG models sleep and wake by double tapping the screen. Apple could do something similar by making the whole or bottom part of the display able to sleep and wake by touch, or wake and unlock by pressing and holding with your touch ID finger. 3D touch could make this process pretty slick. I'm not against keeping the home button, though.

ipaddaro

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2014
LG models sleep and wake by double tapping the screen. Apple could do something similar by making the whole or bottom part of the display able to sleep and wake by touch, or wake and unlock by pressing and holding with your touch ID finger. 3D touch could make this process pretty slick. I'm not against keeping the home button, though.
but do they have fingerprint scan?

a button on the back could be a solution, but sacrificing internal space maybe

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
Because nothing ever changes, right?

By next year? (in regards to the home button being removed)... hell no.

As I've already explained in my later response of the thread, maybe years and years down the line. No chance it gets removed by next year though.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
but do they have fingerprint scan?

a button on the back could be a solution, but sacrificing internal space maybe
I guess I was thinking maybe somehow the fingerprint scanning could be built right into the display.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003

If Apple can find a way to let you waken and authenticate by pressing with a fingertip anywhere in a large area as you say, that would be OK, and they could combine that with a virtual home button when the screen is on. But making Touch ID work over an area much larger than the current home button would be quite challenging, I think.

Reactions: CE3

ipaddaro

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2014
I guess I was thinking maybe somehow the fingerprint scanning could be built right into the display.

yes, it would seem more logical...
the limit at the moment seems to be sapphire that is required for touch ID

Reactions: CE3

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
You haven't a clue what Apple's plans are for the iPhone 7.

:rolleyes:

Gotta come up with a reply better than that generic escape one you used above. How about I reply with "Well neither do you!" to really make this conversation even more worthless?

Can't back up your opinions with something more than the generic "well you don't know what the future will hold!" or "anythings possible!" or "nuh uh!" then its time to bow out...

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
:rolleyes:

Gotta come up with a reply better than that generic escape one you used above. How about I reply with "Well neither do you!" to really make this conversation even more worthless?

Can't back up your opinions with something more than the generic "well you don't know what the future will hold!" or "anythings possible!" or "nuh uh!" then its time to bow out...

The whole thread is as worthless as your comments.

No one knows what Apple's plans are for iPhone 7.

It's not impossible to think that Apple could replace the Home button next year.

/Thread.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
The whole thread is as worthless as your comments.

No one knows what Apple's plans are for iPhone 7.

It's not impossible to think that Apple could replace the Home button next year.

/Thread.

Speculating about Apples future plans on a rumor forum isn't worthless to the people involved in the debate, but telling everyone "its worthless to speculate because no one knows what Apples future plans are!" IS truly worthless (on this forum as least). I mean that's why OP made this thread in the first place, to start discussion. No reason for you to try and shut down speculation and everyone's opinion just because you don't want to participate. Simply leave the thread...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.