Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jz7410

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
My friend and I were both offered a $79 iPhone replacement due to bad batteries (3gs & 4) Has anyone done this replacement? Do they just give u a white box refurb? or do they actually change the battery in your phone? Also does anyone know if they offer this for the iPhone 2g?

As a side not my buddies 3gs had major hardware issues and the nice genius said he'd put it under battery repair and only charge $79 for the replacement when his battery was fine, so I guess they will just give u a new unit for $79 which is pretty sweet

jz7410

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
We're the phones still in warranty?

neither, i think as long as the phones are not physically destroyed then u can get a replacement.

My main question tho is do you think they still carry 2g replacements in store?

Zalatorisaurus

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2011
Texas
neither, i think as long as the phones are not physically destroyed then u can get a replacement.

My main question tho is do you think they still carry 2g replacements in store?

That's pretty sweet. Maybe refurbs for the 2G and that's a big maybe. Definitely not new.

marshallbedsaul

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
Utah
this is true
I think the fee for replacement may vary on which model you have.

I had this done with my white 3gs, I came in my battery was horrid and had a headphone issue screen has small crack. I asked if they could fix the problem simply said replacement for 79.00. I asked what would stop me from getting this rater or fix, he said water damage.

Dandrews524

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2009
New York
Besides luck of the draw on Geniuses, I can see them drawing a line at hardware "failure" vs user inflicted damage.

it must be all about luck because jumped in a pool with my iphone on accident a few weeks ago and my apple genius swapped it out for a refurb free of charge

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
That's pretty sweet. Maybe refurbs for the 2G and that's a big maybe. Definitely not new.

I should dig mine out and take it in just to see what they say. Battery was having issues last year; left it unplugged for too long after I got the 4 last summer and now my ol' faithful 2G is completely DOA. Wouldn't mind having it around as an iPod or for hacking a bit, even with a $79 fee.

Dandrews524

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2009
New York
that is awesome!

I guess it really depends on who you get on what day.

yea i was so grateful that they were so cool with me. i went there expecting to spend 200 bucks but they definitely surprised me. they did say that it was a one time thing though, so hopefully i learned my lesson lol

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

For the uk it's £55. If you send it in you get your iPhone back if you go in store thy tend to swap it for a brown box iPhone.

And re the 2g iPhone yes it costs the same!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.