Iphone 7plus hotspot issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EarlZ, Jan 2, 2017.

1. EarlZ macrumors regular

Ive been having this issue since Nov 2016, when I enable my hotspot people are getting an authetication failure may it be an iphone or android device.. Changing either my phone name under settings or another password on my hotspot can sometimes temporarily fix the issue and it comes back again either an hour after or the next day, Ive already performed a device reset. When they try to connect I do get the blue status bar that 1 device is connected and it dissapears about 10 seconds after. I am now on ios 10.2 and still have this issue. I do not have any carrier limitation on my hotspot as there are no issues on my hotspot when I was using my adroid device. I need help in resolving this

2. ericwn macrumors 68000

Has the issue always been there or suddenly occurred? Has it ever worked as it should?

3. blaine07 macrumors 68000

It's done this off and on for me for months and last several updates. Did it on my 6, 6S+ and my 7+ now. Not sure why but exactly as you said; fiddling with settings usually fixes it, temporarily

4. EarlZ thread starter macrumors regular

The issue is random so I dont really know if it worked perfectly since I got my device. Does this sound like a hardware issue?

5. blaine07 macrumors 68000

I'd bet all $6 I have it's not a hardware issue myself... like I said, issue comes and goes for me over different devices and iOS versions

6. ericwn macrumors 68000

A hardware issue is usually defective component. Random function is most common for software issues, for sure.

7. NVD macrumors member

NVD

I thought this was just happening to me.
    I have been encountering the same thing on my iPhone 6S Plus, however I can't say when exactly it started as it's only within the past 2 months I have started using hotspot.
    I get the blue notification on my screen that a device connected for just a few seconds, then it disappears and the device fails to connect. Changing the password, or toggling hotspot off/on again then allows it to work... Until the next time.

8. EarlZ thread starter macrumors regular

By a simple toggle on/off alone for me has never ever worked.. at times I have to my phone name/password over a dozen times and some reboots in between to get it to work.

9. EarlZ thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry to bump this up but has anyone found a fix for this issue?

10. blaine07 macrumors 68000

It's been ongoing forever Unfortunately I don't think it's a accident it doesn't work right ‍♂️

11. EarlZ thread starter macrumors regular

But it looks like this does not affect all phones, a friend of mine who also uses hotspot often has never had this issue since he got his ip7 plus

12. EarlZ thread starter macrumors regular

13. blaine07 macrumors 68000

Pretty sure Apple is going to have to fix it at this point. I just have to "deal with it"

14. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

Mine works inconsistently. Sometimes I can activate it and other times it tells me that I need to set it up and refers me to my carriers online help page. I never had this problem with the 6S plus or 6 plus. It's only been since I got the 7 plus.

15. EarlZ thread starter macrumors regular

Did a factory reset and its the same issue, I believe its a hardware issue as my other phone is ok