iPhone 7plus vs S8

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tl01, Aug 10, 2017.

1. tl01 macrumors 68000

I have a 7 plus and an S8..7 plus I use for pleasure and S8 for business because it seems to work better with my VOIP app when I am not in the office. Anyway...during the work week, I am surprised by the battery life of the S8. Is it known to be better than the 7plus? My 7 plus was replaced about 2 months back...so it isn't super old. I didn't anticipate the S8 to last so much longer than the plus. I use both a lot during the day.

2. samparmenter macrumors 6502

How long does the S8 last and what do you use them both for? Certain apps rinse the battery of phones.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

No matter how long the S8 lasted it would not move me from Apple and it's iOS.

4. cracksoup macrumors 6502

cracksoup

Same for me due to the ecosystem. Other than that, the S8 is undoubtably a great phone and it is arguably the better phone if you don't take OS and ecosystems in to account.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

No doubt the S8 is a good phone, but it does not tempt me to leave iOS. I have done it several times and always regretted doing so. The iPhone 8 will have to do for me!:)

6. democracyrules macrumors 6502a

So totally agree with the comment above. No smartphone can defeat iPhone on many ways especially security and awesome user friendly. iPhone is simply the best and most secured smartphone in the planet.

7. samparmenter macrumors 6502

The iphone 8 will be better than the S8. The 7S however looks like it will be a poor relation unfortunately.

8. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

bold statement.

i really liked the s8+ when i saw it. a lot of awesome features but like others mentioned, i'm so integrated with the iOS and ecosystem of apple products. hopefully the iP8 fulfills.

9. Relentless Power, Aug 11, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

I don't feel the iPhone 8 is really competing against the S8 to be better per se. The iPhone 8 primarily will be competing against the Note 8. The 7s is more of a refinement one the iPhone

I'm not sure how that qualifies this as a poor relation, when it's not competing against the higher end models.

10. samparmenter macrumors 6502

Because the basic competition between apple and samsung recently has been their SX model vs the standard priced iPhone which this year will be S8 vs iPhone 7S. For £620 I expect to get a phone that is equal to the S8. I don't expect to have to suddenly pay another £300 to have a phone that has parity with a much cheaper samsung.

When Apple is capable of making phones that are equal to or better than the S8 but are making us pay way more than usual I am not happy. When Apple is giving us the same design for 4 years when screen technology and general phone tech has moved on, I am not happy.

I find it amazing that most people don't seem to have a problem with apple selling us the 7S for the same price as usual when its basically a 3 year old phone with easily updated internals. The iPhone 8 is simply what apple should be delivering as its normal new phone release. What about it exactly justifies charging what will clearly be a large premium over the competition.

Better display? No
    Better camera? If it is it won't be much better
    FaceID? Everyone would be perfectly happy if they kept touchID
    AR stuff? Very little has been shown related to this and the hardware isn't exactly going to have cost hundreds per phone.

The only way they could justify this massive price increase is to build a device that was a country mile ahead of the competition which lets be honest, they haven't done.

11. tl01 thread starter macrumors 68000

Right... the post wasn't really about if I should switch or not. Connectivity to my clients via my VOIP app is pretty crucial and if my clients and employees can't reach me, then for work I have to choose what makes sense. Like I said, I am keeping my 7plus as my personal phone. I can't love my phone OS so much that I sacrifice my company for it. I was just asking if it is typical that the S8 last significantly longer than the 7plus.

12. OriginalAppleGuy macrumors 6502a

OriginalAppleGuy

So, Samsung has traditionally had very poor battery life in their devices. That changed with the S8 and I believe the issues they had with the previous generation played a part in that. Samsung had to do something to make people forget about the battery. Apple has, on the other hand, done very well with batteries for generations.

13. pbonitati macrumors newbie

pbonitati

I've been back and forth between Android and IOS for years. Currently, I'm using the S8+ coming from an ip7+. Now both platforms have their advantages and disadvantages, that's all I'll say about that topic LOL. I will have to concur with OP on battery performance of the S8+. Got my eyes set on the Note 8 release, lets hope they can keep the optimization up as it will have 200mah less than the S8+.