Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

democracyrules

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 18, 2016
Source: Forbes by Gordon Kelly

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2016/12/08/apple-iphone7s-iphone8-prices/#763112e06ab0

Despite being a famously secretive company, these days Apple has to accept it cannot lock down the massive iPhone supply chain. As such leaks flow freely and the latest high profile ones indicate Apple is set to shake up iPhone pricing…

The news comes from two famously reliable sources: Mac Otakara which was the first site to state Apple would remove the headphone jack from the iPhone 7 (though I was first to predict it in 2014). And KGI Securities’ Ming-Chi Kuo who is widely regarded as “the best Apple analyst on the planet”.

Together they complete two halves of an intriguing puzzle: what Apple will do with the iPhone in 2017 - and it is going to cost you.

A concept image of Apple's iPhone 8 based on current leaks. Image credit: Veniamin Geskin

Triple Upgrade

Filling in its half Mac Otakara says Apple will once again only iterate with its 2017 iPhones and an ‘iPhone 7S’ and ‘iPhone 7S Plus’ will look virtually identical to every iPhone since the iPhone 6 in 2014.

These new phones will add upgraded chipsets, improved cameras and a new red colour option - presumably tied to the (PRODUCT)RED brand - but there’s nothing revolutionary here. It’s more of the same users have experienced since the iPhone 6.

But before you despair, in jumps Kuo who says the iPhone 7S and iPhone 7S Plus will only be the base models with an all new ‘iPhone 8’ at the top. This will feature a completely overhauled design with no home button, an OLED display, wireless charging and more.

Source: Forbes by Evan Spence

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspe...-leak-rumor-ios-battery-problem/#20cb0698327d

iPhone 8 Pricing

Although the presumptively titled iPhone 8 is not expected to be in stores until late September 2017, details of the pricing around both the iPhone 7S and 7S Plus (which will echo the current design), and the radical changes in the iPhone 8 have been discussed this week. The new iPhones will follow the lead of the 2016 generation of the MacBook Pro line-up and see prices rise at the top end, and the base models to lose functionality while maintaining then 'entry-level' pricing:

Those already struggling to justify the cost of owning an iPhone should probably look away now, because the iPhone 7S and iPhone 7S Plus are expected to retain the current price points of the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus ($649 - $969), while the iPhone 8 will sit above them both as the new flagship.

It’s pure speculation to say by how much, but with the Plus model currently $129 more at each storage capacity it would seem a $150-200 premium on top of the Plus would make sense and once again increase Apple margins - which have shrunk in recent years.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
More and more, it's looking like I'll make the jump to Amoled display with pixel or s8 in 2017.

If only one premium model iPhone will have amoled and revamped design, what's the real incentive to buy, the now lesser model which is smaller screen iPhone...I don't see it.

As I said, I'm not vested in Apple and there are alternatives to iMessage and other apps.

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
The iPhone 8 is going to end up being a $40 monthly payment.... not worth it... not for a phone. Would rather fill up my tank with that.

my god is that all you pay a month? the 7 plus is costing me £45! ($56).

If there is no re-design next year I will be extremely surprised.

JustJoshua

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2016
If apple keeps trying to overprice their stuff while stellar performing androids are getting cheaper one can only foresee a massive fall off of sales and interest. You can get a very capable android for under $600 so I say let apple shoot for the moon and learn a real world lesson.

Reactions: Phillyphil0302

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015
Meh. I ain't creamin my pants over that mockup. I'd rather buy a bag of good reefer.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Even Apple I doubt know exactly which option they are going with yet. I'm sure there's plenty of options right now.

I expect there will be Maybe one OLED model but the design will be same on all devices.

Donald00

Suspended
Dec 11, 2016
There will be no iPhone 8 until 2018, guaranteed. Remember iPhone 5 to 5s same prospect speculation around. Apple always marketing smart to get ripped remaining iPhone on hand before next one is coming. Is automobile strategy they follow, if anyone follow car chain will understanding this. Thanks

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
There was no design change with the 7 and 7 Plus, that was unusual for Apple and reliable leakers and people like Ming-Chi-Chow have said there will be an iPhone 8 in 2017, it's also the 10th anniversary of the iPhone next year, so i can see Apple releasing an iPhone 8 with a redesign. Current rumours point to OLED and a all glass model.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Maybe in 2017, the iPhone Pro will be debut for the flagship model and 10th year Anniversary phone w/amoled screen and redesign. Ip7s and 7s+ to bring up the rear.

Then ip8 in 2018.

It's all semantics to me anyway.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Like I said on the other post, grow up. Multiple sources already show this to be fact. You aren't right so live with it.

Nothing thus far reported about next year's iPhones is "fact". People toss around the words "fact" and "confirmed" way too easily.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
And neither was the iPhone 8. This is more proof it maybe a 7s.

None of this is "proof" of anything. That's my point. Everyone is just taking whatever rumours and speculation support their own beliefs, and calling it "proof" and "confirmation".

KillaMac

Suspended
May 25, 2013
None of this is "proof" of anything. That's my point. Everyone is just taking whatever rumours and speculation support their own beliefs, and calling it "proof" and "confirmation".

Omg seriously. The closer we get to release the more accurate things get. An iPhone 8 was talked about before the 7 was even released. All rumors. We all don't know but I can promise you that the closer you are to release the more real the rumors will become.

KillaMac

Suspended
May 25, 2013
Omg seriously. The closer we get to release the more accurate things get. An iPhone 8 was talked about before the 7 was even released. All rumors. We all don't know but I can promise you that the closer you are to release the more real the rumors will become.

And last I checked this site is called MacRumors for a reason.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.