iPhone 7s camera will have less noise and better low light

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MartinAppleGuy, Aug 14, 2016.

1. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

With all of the leaked indicating a much larger camera module on the back of the iPhone 7 (4.7 inch), this would ultimately mean the iPhone 7 should provide us with much better low light performance when taking darkly lit photographs (probably the only downfall with the current iPhone 6S/SE camera). This is due to the fact that a larger sensor can have a lower shutter speed before noticeable shake (allowing more light into the camera); and due to this, photographs will require a lower ISO due to the aperture being able to be slower on the new phones. This thereby would result in much less noisy photos.

I believe this is also the direction the dual camera setup on the 7 Plus will take, just amplifying the quality of photos via two shutters to lower the amount of noise and let more light into the sensor.

With iOS 10 also having support for RAW photographs (but yet to have the first party Apple camera app take advantage of it), I'd love to see the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus have RAW support in the default camera with its possible larger storage options (32GB, 128GB, 256GB) like the iPad Pro.

Would love to see a larger field of view and faster autofocus, and I Can see the camera being a big selling point of the new iPhones :)

2. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

Larger sensors have less noisy photos because the signal to noise ratio is higher. They have more total light falling on the sensor. If you gave the smaller sensor the same total light, it would produce the same level of noise as the larger one.

It has nothing to do with exposure settings (shutter speed, aperture). A tiny pocket camera uses the same exposure settings as a full frame dslr for a given picture, because "ISO" is an arbitrary gain value.

3. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Thanks for the explanation, just started going in full rumour mode based on those leaked photos. Also; your film is amazing mr Gustave lol