Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nouveau_redneck

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2017
I was glancing at an SE thread where people are holding onto it and wondering what to do when it becomes obsolete in the future.

That got me to thinking, in a couple of years I think the 8/8+ will become similar to the SE in the sense that people that hate the notch and/or face ID of the iPhone 10 and above will be clinging to their 8/8+ phones and not letting go. There will be threads with people refusing to give them up. Count me in.

When I bought my 8+ last year, I feared it would be the last without a notch, and I'll be one of the people holding onto it for many, many years unless Apple gets rid of the notch in the future. I don't like the face ID, but I could live with it. The notch? No.

Koobs

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
I was glancing at an SE thread where people are holding onto it and wondering what to do when it becomes obsolete in the future.

That got me to thinking, in a couple of years I think the 8/8+ will become similar to the SE in the sense that people that hate the notch and/or face ID of the iPhone 10 and above will be clinging to their 8/8+ phones and not letting go. There will be threads with people refusing to give them up. Count me in.

When I bought my 8+ last year, I feared it would be the last without a notch, and I'll be one of the people holding onto it for many, many years unless Apple gets rid of the notch in the future. I don't like the face ID, but I could live with it. The notch? No.
The notch is really not a big deal. It was waaaay overblown last year.

nouveau_redneck

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2017

I'm not saying that I won't be in the minority, I will be, just the SE folks. But I won't have a phone with a notch, and I won't be alone.

But that is not the only reason people will cling to the 8/8+. People that won't give up touch ID will in my camp as well.

Tookums

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2016
I will accept the notch....in return for a phone with a 6.5 in screen. I don’t go for the X last year because it was too small. This year, the larger phone makes the notch worth it.
Lol

Reactions: Supermallet

nouveau_redneck

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2017
The point I was making is that the 8/8+ are the last of a bread. They will be held onto for a long time by many. Hell, I may even buy another as a back up.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
OP: I'm with you 100%. The notch is awful and a bad, bad design. The 8 design was the future. I think the 8 has at least 3 years left.

Reactions: Donfor39

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
The benefits of Face ID vs Touch ID in day to day use far outweigh any perceived downside of the notch, which isn’t really a notch, it’s ‘ears’ that add two extra bits of display that frees up space at, what once was the top of the display.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I don’t have anything against the notch or the design of the X series per se, but part of the reason why I decided to opt for the 8 Plus was knowing that it would be the last iPhone with a home button and TouchID.

Reactions: nouveau_redneck

JWATT

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2018
The point I was making is that the 8/8+ are the last of a bread. They will be held onto for a long time by many. Hell, I may even buy another as a back up.
I don't even think the iPhone 11 will have the notch if rumors are true. Regardless, you've never actually owned the X but are making all of these judgements about features you assume you wouldn't like despite not actually trying them out? I don't understand people like you.

nouveau_redneck

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2017
I don't even think the iPhone 11 will have the notch if rumors are true. Regardless, you've never actually owned the X but are making all of these judgements about features you assume you wouldn't like despite not actually trying them out? I don't understand people like you.

I hope you are right about the 11 not having it. I used to enjoy upgrading a phone every year.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
I was one of many the despised the "notch" - so I went with a needed upgrade for the 8+. I DID give in and got the X in Nov. The "notch" was not a big deal at all. What bugged me was the size, I was just used to the 6+, 8+, landscape, etc. Only reason why I returned the X - hoping that a BIG X would come in 2018. So it did.

I'm up in the air about turning my 8+ plus in right now. Yes it still is an extremely powerful, fast device. Battery is still very good. (turning in my old 6+ last year, the 5 back in 2014 made sense, they became slow, batteries were just starting to bulge on both)

Thinking I can use the XS Max as my main device, turn on "Personal Hotspot" and use the 8+ in my car for GPS, Waze, etc. Just use it as a camera. I know the longer I hold on to it, the value of it drops - and drops fast.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
I'll move on when it's time to move on and I'll have no problem doing it (was considering doing it now), but I love my 8 and I love it because it's just a beautifully refined, polished product. Not because it has a home button or anything like that - it's just the cream of the crop of the design and is so well put together and premium/substantial feeling.

That70sGAdawg

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2008
Athens, GA USA
The benefits of Face ID vs Touch ID in day to day use far outweigh any perceived downside of the notch, which isn’t really a notch, it’s ‘ears’ that add two extra bits of display that frees up space at, what once was the top of the display.
Good luck trying to use Face ID when your phone is on a desk, in your hand below a desk (or conference table), or in a car holder in the dash vent while stopped at a traffic light (naturally)..

JWATT

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2018
Good luck trying to use Face ID when your phone is on a desk, in your hand below a desk (or conference table), or in a car holder in the dash vent while stopped at a traffic light (naturally)..
response?

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015

Never had an issue unlocking my phone on my desk or in the car. Was most surprised at it working flawlessly in my car. I have my phone on a dash mount at the driver side center air vent and unlocks with a swipe, when I’m looking at the road. At that angle and distance it must think I am looking enough at it to be able to unlock.

brgjoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
Central IL, USA.
Yep, same.

Disappointed when I saw the BUN (Big Ugly Notch) was in every phone -- even the LCD one. I like my Touch ID. It's work so well with Apple Pay that I don't want to give that feature up.

Am hoping Touch ID somehow comes back in some form (yeah, I know -- probably will be as extinct as the slide out keyboard, but am still hoping!) and the notch goes away. That will be when I will be interested in the next iPhone offering. Right now, the 8+ that I have more than suits my needs -- and it still has my Touch ID.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.