iPhone 8 battery test results on youtube vid look v poor, thoughts?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by whitedragon101, Oct 5, 2017.

1. whitedragon101 macrumors 65816

Watched this vid and the iPhone seems to fare much worse than the S8 or One plus phone. Didn't expect the disparity to be so big. Apple are usually all about battery life. Usually for laptops Apple give realistic numbers, the competitors lie about some high made up numbers and then in tests apple win out. But in this Phone test they seem to get rather spanked by the competition.

2. MattXDA macrumors 6502

MattXDA

The tests usually focus a lot on games, where the OS can’t really help the lower iPhone mAh so it loses, and videos. Videos will always be much more efficient on OLED displays as they prominently feature a lot of dark colours. If the phones simply refreshed a white webpage continuously I’d expect the iPhone to fare a lot better. In general real use, it’s a lot closer to the competition.

I haven’t watched the video but I skimmed through it and saw that Temple Run seemed to be on for the majority of the test. The Galaxy has both a larger battery and a more efficient screen so I would expect it to win for games

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Battery usage is entirely rated different for everyone, because everyone uses their iPhone differently. Regardless of what these tests show, it's not always indicative of real world usage. Applications, media, settings all Contribute differently to battery life.

4. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

Pretty bad results for the iPhone. And the benchmarks were already skewed towards the iPhone.

Most of the content displayed had a high average brightness, so it was already benefiting the iPhone displays.

What's more telling is those games are GPU-bound on the S8+ which means power consumption will be high. The iPhone GPU is simply coasting along running at half the resolution of the S8+.

5. Vanilla35, Oct 7, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2017

Vanilla35 macrumors 68040

Vanilla35

My battery life is good. 5-6 hours screen on time. With games or mapping apps it is worse. iPhone 8, 11.0.

Battery life is trash on iOS 11 with any phone below 8.

6. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

I think iOS 11 is most likely to blame here. It’s wrecked our battery life.

I wish he could do a comparison between iOS 10 and 11 under the same usage.

7. whitedragon101 thread starter macrumors 65816

I noticed the same thing. Also there is a 3-5 second pause on opening non apple apps.

8. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I am “gutted” after seeing this. Looks like I bought the wrong device.

LOL the 8 and 8+ batteries are excellent.

9. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

Unless you a gamer on movile devices this is not real life usage. The apple processors generally like to rest and do better in other tests.

10. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

AA5A5735-84C1-45B8-A5E8-E53D6CD43377.jpeg To give an indication of the real world usage battery life I am getting...

It’s currently about 7:30 AM, phone was taken off the charger at around 1PM yesterday, and after about 7 hours at an amusement park with photos, 4K video, Snapchat, facebook and Instagram being used, plus getting home and watching some “Attack on Titan Season 2” I’m still at 29%.

I’ve got no complaints

11. nickchallis92 macrumors 6502a

nickchallis92

The batteries on the 8 are smaller and the phones use last-gen screen technology. I'd argue that the results were fairly predictable.

12. Vanilla35 macrumors 68040

Vanilla35

I think the 8 is getting much better battery life than the 7 though (on iOS 11). Which has a bigger battery and the same screen, lol.