iPhone 8: Camera behind the screen, is that even possible

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by deuxani, May 8, 2017.

1. deuxani macrumors 6502

deuxani

There have been so many rumours about the iPhone 8/Edition/X/Pro/call it what you like, but there is still no proof of any final design. The biggest discussion is about the fingerprint scanner (behind the screen, below the screen, on the back), but I think the front facing camera location is equally interesting.

Some rumours say the iPhone 8 will have an all screen front with the camera and sensors hidden behind the screen. In those cases people point to an old patent from 2011 that Apple once filed (http://www.patentlyapple.com/patent...h-andor-fingerprint-scanner-until-needed.html). However, 6 years after filing this patent, is a camera behind the screen even possible at this moment in time?

Just think about how good the cameras on the back are on phones, but how the front facing cameras are a lot worse. Now imagine you put a screen in front of that not so great camera. I just can't imagine the tech is ready to deliver a good quality front facing camera. Also, in the patent the screen need to turn transparent to allow for this. Current OLED's definitely can't do this and if they could, the quality of the screen would be a lot worse.

I think the Samsung Galaxy S8 and LG G6 is the only logical design choice (I don't see Apple going the Mii Mix route with an asymmetrical front).

[​IMG]
    Obviously I would hope for an all screen front, but I don't think it's realistic to expect this.

2. chilman macrumors regular

chilman

Technically speaking it is possible, if the 8 will be designed n made like that. We wouldn't know, if it isn't it will be made for the next model, I think that would be awsome design.