Iphone 8 camera paint effect?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by metsjetsfan, Sep 23, 2017.

1. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

does anyone know if the new camera has the same paint effect that has been on all the iphones since the 5S?

Thanks

2. hamiltonDSi macrumors 68000

hamiltonDSi

Glad to tell you that its fixed.
    The processing is now made with the A11 chip instead of software.
    Apple mentioned this in the keynote.

3. AKS3003 macrumors member

If you're talking about smearing, then it is still present. Certainly less than before, but definitely present

4. TL24 macrumors 6502a

TL24

I’m interested in this as well but based on the photos I’ve seen the water color effect due to the noise reduction is still present. Less than before but sill there =\

5. Pelea macrumors 6502

That’s a lie. I’ve been comparing the 8 to the 7 and it’s almost exactly the same. Noise degradation is visible on all photos + videos, especially the « water » effect

6. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

Well it's not a lie that it was reported to be addressed. Unfortunately whatever fix Apple tried failed to work. The watercolor effect is still there in pictures I've seen. If it's any consolation I see it in my S7-S8+ photos, too, from time to time. My HTC camera doesn't do that but makes more traditional "noise dots"

7. Pelea macrumors 6502

Apple bragged about some noise reduction hardware yes. Unfortunately it turned out to be a lie as when you compare the 7 To 8, the only difference you’ll notice is slightly more saturated oranges. There is almost no difference in detail preservation (if you zoom in you may notice a 0.1% increase in detail)

8. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

Did you notice that the 8 now tends to blow out highlights, especially in the front facing camera? I have noticed it in a few photos in reviews and on the forum from forum members. I never really noticed too many blown highlights in my 7 Plus photos before.

9. Pelea macrumors 6502

I haven’t tried the front facing camera Yet

10. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

How about on the regular camera? I've seen a few blown out highlights so I was wondering.

11. Pelea macrumors 6502

What do u mean by “blown out highlights”?

12. MattXDA macrumors 6502

MattXDA

Bright areas of the image will appear white rather than preserving detail. Haven't noticed it myself and would be happy for someone to send me some links so I can see it

13. GrumpyMom, Sep 23, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2017

GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

Our internet and power just went down so I'm temporarily on cellular data but where I noticed it most was on SuperSaf TV video comparison of iPhone 8 Plus to Note on YouTube

and there's a forum thread I will have to go and find the pictures again.

Okay in this thread notice the portion of the dog's chest in JamesZR's photo. There is a triangle of white fur blown out.

In the purple flower photos the picture taken on the native iPhone app has some blown out highlights you may not realize until you compare to the RAW image taken via a third party camera app.

Sorry I just got into my S8+ since our power and internet is still out (some local work) and saw I didn't past the link in like I thought. Hold on a sec here it is https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-8-plus-image-quality.2070422/

Here's a link to a different thread I just found. The orange and white Kitty has blown out white fur https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/post-photos-taken-with-iphone-8.2070625/

14. Pelea macrumors 6502

I haven’t noticed any difference to the 7 regarding that

15. metsjetsfan thread starter macrumors 65816

How does the pixel do it. There is almost no paint effect or water on their camera. I just cant stand anything else on it

16. TL24 macrumors 6502a

TL24

Simple, they don’t over apply the noise reduction. Having some noise is ok as long as it preserves he fine details. Go look at shots taken by the Pixel in forums and you’ll notice the dramatic difference. Quite surprised the 8 Plus was able to surpass the Pixel in DxOMark.

17. metsjetsfan thread starter macrumors 65816

Then why is apple having issues correcting it? Assume it is their choice then. The raw apps also dont take it out that well

Doesnt DxO take money from companies?

18. Pelea macrumors 6502

Yeah I think Apple paid them to get their mark higher. The pixel series makes the iPhone 8 look like a 3GS in comparison to the pixel’s detail

19. TL24 macrumors 6502a

TL24

Probably. The camera on the 8/8+ is excellent but I still think the Pixel is better.

20. Pelea macrumors 6502

iphone users have had to put up with 4 generations of smudgy images and since the iphone 6 it has barely got any better. the 7 was actually worse than the 6s and the 8 just made it back to 6s quality. there's no reason to stick up for apple here, the cameras are a disgrace for a new generation product.

just look at this comparison of the 7+ to the pixel:

https://www.cnet.com/au/news/apple-iphone-7-plus-google-pixel-video-comparison/

i would be surprised if the 2020 iphone was able to match that level of detail, as the next 3 (iphone 8 included) won't even be closed

21. PBz macrumors 68020

PBz

IMO the 7/7+ is worse than the 6S/6S+ in this regard. 7 was horrible for me with watercolor effect and smearing. I thought it was just the 7+ but the 7 I’m using has now it as well. If it’s as bad on 8/8+ I’m going to the Note. Went through about 4 7+ & Apple reps agrees with image analysis when I showed them. Not paying $1,000 for that issue. My 6S+ camera was awesome. Maybe MP (too many for sensor) issue?? Hoping A11 addresses.

22. Pelea macrumors 6502

You’re right. I had the 6s and 7, and the 7 was definitely much worse than the 6s in terms of smearing. The 8 has sightly improved it, so it should be almost as good as the 6s again (I no longer have my 6s so I cant compare it to the 8)

23. PBz macrumors 68020

PBz

Is it just me or do none of the individual scores go above 90 but overall score is over 90 for DXOMark for 8+?
    --- Post Merged, Sep 24, 2017 ---
    This is another reason I’m considering the the non-Plus. I think the 2.2 lens has issues in light that 1.8 lens can handle and when images ‘merged’ IQ goes awry.
    FWIW, I tested devices for major carrier for about 5 years. When I presented my 7+ vs 6S+ Photo IQ analysis to an Apple Retail Manager the rep standing next to him lost his poker face. Jaw dropped at the image quality issues of 7+ vs 6S+ and even a 6 I tossed in to make a point.
    Thank you. 8 or 8+?

I wish there was native iPhone Camera functionality to isolate the 1.8 lens. You can do w/ 3rd party apps.

24. metsjetsfan thread starter macrumors 65816

What is the verdict on this now that people have had their devices for a weekend

25. Pelea macrumors 6502

That it’s barely been improved. It’s still terrible