iPhone 8 Camera

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Maximeed69, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Maximeed69 macrumors member

Hello everybody ! So straight into it . Since the release of the ip8/8plus i have never seen any review about the small iphone 8 camera . None talking about it and none did any video about it . Everyone is having fun with their plus model and forgetting about the small one , i mean sure the plus has double camera setup and portrait mode wich is a lot better but let's face the reality . Not everyone is a big fan of the plus size including me . I do prefer the small 8 wich feels more confortable for me but i do like more the 8plus camera for sure . So my question for small ip 8 users how do you find the camera compared to the 8plus ? I would really love to see something about it since i cant find anything yet about it since release

2. Deifie macrumors newbie

The iPhone 8 camera is exactly the same as the one in the Plus model except the zoom lense which enabels the portrait functions.
    Therefore "normal" pictures taken with the iphone 8 plus are identical to the pictures taken by an iphone 8.

3. Pelea macrumors 6502

The 8 has about the same detail as an iPhone 6s (the 7 being worse than the 6s), with a bit better low light shots/videos.

4. PBz macrumors 68020

PBz

I dabble in photography and IMO, the 8 might be a better option than the 8+ for ‘phone’ photography.

I may get blasted for this but the ‘features’ that come with the extra lens on the 8+ don’t translate to great images. The great image hit-rate on the wide-angle lens is high IMO. The great image hit-rate on the zoom lens I low IMO.

Keep in mind I actually have the 8+. I wish there was a non-3P app way to isolate the wide-angle lens.. as I swear there is ‘math’ going on that brings in data from the zoom lens on the 8+.

Tad more than $0.02 but that’s my opinion.

5. Maximeed69 thread starter macrumors member

So means the only difference is the portrait mode feature on the 8+ . I do use my phone camera for work and im afraid of not having the portrait mode wich blurring the background is a big help for me

6. Vanilla35 macrumors 68040

Vanilla35

Thanks for your observations. My take on your comments are that the 8 (no secondary lens) has a more raw photo capture. While the 8+ gets a muddled (referring to inclusion of additional data from telephoto lens) processing through software, that potentially leads to a less detailed picture due to the lower specs of the telephoto lens. Does that sound about right?

7. PBz macrumors 68020

PBz

Yes. I think the ‘math’ between the two lenses is risk/reward while single lens is less risk & more consistent, but great, images.

8. Vanilla35 macrumors 68040

Vanilla35

Always wondered if that was an issue. Never used the + camera though. Do you think it's due to software limitations, or simply the lower quality lens.

Theoretically, if the telephoto lens catches up, then they would be equivalent?

9. PBz, Oct 7, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2017

PBz macrumors 68020

PBz

I think there is only so much quality you can get out of a zoom lens in a phone. I also think non-zoom images take picture data from zoom lens and ‘supplement’ the shot and it’s often not a good mix (back to the 2 lens ‘math’ issue). This is all theory/opinion. WTS, in good lighting the 7+ and 8+ can take stunning images for a phone camera.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 7, 2017 ---
    This is what the 7+ can do with right light. I think the 8+ can do even better. I’m not sure I even edited this image. Will have to look.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 7, 2017 ---
    Similar shot from 8+. Really wish site would up the allowable image file size.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/xU3j5ivbbSDwWk9W2

Attached Files:

10. bmac89 macrumors 65816

bmac89

Do you think using a third party camera app which lets you select which lens to use would solve this problem?

I heard somewhere that the camera app doesn't always use optical zoom as it automatically determines which lens to use (or even combination) and the only way to really know whether it is using only optical zoom (apart from observing any degradation in the final photo) is to use a third party camera app which lets you select which lens to use.

11. fred98tj macrumors 6502

I pretty much always use a 3rd party camera app. The “tele” (actually more standard or “normal” lens length) is not too bad (I’m using a 7 Plus). I switch between the two lenses often and problem use then equally in time.

12. bmac89 macrumors 65816

bmac89

Which Camera app do you use?

Thanks

13. fred98tj macrumors 6502

I use PureShot. Procamera and Procam I’ve used before also. Just got use to PureShot. I also make photos almost exclusively in raw.
    Sometimes I use the native app for a quick snap of something.