iPhone 8 cases same as iPhone 7?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by psac, Sep 15, 2017.

1. psac macrumors 6502a

psac

I looked on Amazon, and all of the iPhone 8 cases also say iPhone 7 as well. I see in the specs the 8 is 0.2 mm thicker, but I remember one of the reviews specifically saying "all but the tightest of 7 cases should still fit."

Any thoughts on this? Should I just get one of these cheap 7/8 cases and assume it'll be fine, and just return it if it isn't? Anyone see any true 8 cases yet that look good?

2. magpie maniac macrumors 6502

magpie maniac

The same is true for the Apple brand cases. The silicone and leather cases fit both. Shouldn't be an issue.

3. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

Well Apple lists their silicon and leather cases as for iPhone 7 / 8 so I'd say you are ok for the most part.

4. psac thread starter macrumors 6502a

psac

5. jkozlow3 macrumors 6502a

Yes, but what we don't know is if Apple re-tooled their iPhone 8 cases. They are listing them as "new" on their website and they were not available for store pickup until next week at any Apple store when I looked at them a couple of days ago. They could have modified the case slightly to better fit the 8 (backward compatible with the 7). Then again, they might not have changed a thing!

6. cnotes2019 Suspended

And there might be martians on Saturn jk

7. magpie maniac macrumors 6502

magpie maniac

The Apple case I ordered a few days ago in advance of the delivery of my 8 Plus is the same as what's available in the Apple Store today. They're not going to retool production for what amounts to the thickness of two sheets of common copy paper. It'll fit well considering the give of silicone and leather.

8. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

Did they add new colors to the iPhone cases? Maybe this is why it's "new"?

9. psac thread starter macrumors 6502a

psac

Hmmm, I wonder if those are the magic words. Maybe it's just the silicone and leather cases that will have the give, and plastic cases might be problematic?

Does the Qi charging work with all of them? If you search for a Qi Compliant case, it only comes up with the cases that have the actual charger adapter built in.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 15, 2017 ---
    Since they updated the description to also say iPhone 8, that probably updated the system to mark it as new. :)

10. michial macrumors 6502a

michial

Same size. The new cobalt blue silicon will look great on my silver 8 plus