Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Colors6

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2011
I got a 8 GB iPhone 3GS.

Because of the limited space, I'm considering getting myself an iTunes Match subscription enabling me access to my 18 GB music collection through the cloud.

Is it a good idea?

I'm not based in USA/Europe so Spotify ain't an option for me. Getting another phone is also not an option.

Also, Can smart playlists help me manage iTunes match so that I don't download/stream too much stuff?

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
I use iTunes Match, I mainly got it so I don't have to have my Mac on whenever I want to listen to music in my appleTV. My iPhone has 64Gb so I was not worried about space but I do believe with the iPhone it streams and caches the song at the same time so and saves over it if it needs the space.

Colors6

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2011
How long does the cache last? Does it only get deleted if phone needs space?

Also, are there any smart playlists that are recommended to utilise iTunes match to the full extent?

chipfiev

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2008
I've found starred playlists work really well with iTunes Match. Play counts and last played information is not as reliable.

I use stars to manage my playlists. The changes are quick to be seen on the iPhone and, since you can change stars in the music app, I can make changes on the fly.

Colors6

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2011
How can one use stars to manage playlists?

Can you explain with an eg.?

Also, will subscribing to iTunes match help me better utilise my limited space?

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
How long does the cache last? Does it only get deleted if phone needs space?

Also, are there any smart playlists that are recommended to utilise iTunes match to the full extent?

It will delete itself when you need space, or you can turn iTunes Match off and then back on and it will delete the cache manually.

I think apple did this to save on data use for songs that are played most often.

When deleting the cache automatically when space is needed it will delete the cache for songs least played first.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
I also use stars to manage playlists. I think it works well.

How I do it is I rate every song. I have smart playlists setup by stars. For Example:

5 Star Playlist
4 Star Playlist
4&5 Stars....

Then I setup some smart playlists by star and artist. For Example: Grateful Dead 5 Stars

I literally have dozens of variations. But my general, everyday playlist is "5 Stars" on shuffle.

I also heavily utilize two other smart playlists:

Unrated Songs
Added Last 30 Days

Now it took me a very long time to rate every song. Like months and I was taking the train to work at the time. It was a mission. But in hindsight I would have rated more liberally. I find I am still adjusting ratings all the time, even though I put thought into the first time. So I'd actually say if I needed to rate tens of thousands of songs again, I would paint with a real broad brush the first time through.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Does match work on the 3GS?

And if you have unlimited data and great service, then iTunes Match is great. Otherwise, I would advise, no.

Colors6

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2011
The biggest drawback I find is the lack if ability to create/modify smart playlists on the iPhone/web.

One can't truly be PC free if one can't manage smart playlists on the iPhone.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
I've never gotten iTunes match to work well...first on my iPhone 4 and now my 5. Part of the issue is that you're never really sure how much space it takes up. And I'd rather not chew through my data plan.

So I use match to keep my work and home PCs in sync, and sync to my phone the old fashioned way about once a week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.