iPhone 8 gets really hot, kills battery using GPS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DynaFXD, Sep 27, 2017.

1. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

Anyone else's iPhone 8 get really hot when using the GPS? I will go out walking with Pokemon Go running and the upper back of the phone will get uncomfortably hot. To the point that I can feel the heat radiating off the unit as I swing my arms when walking. Kills the battery too. Pokemon (and Waze, etc) would also kill the battery when running the GPS on my iPhone 7, but it never got this hot. Perfectly fine the rest of the time. Was going to go over and submit a bug report, don't want a battery getting cooked or anything, but was curious if others noticed it as well.

2. sdwaltz macrumors 6502

Haven't used GPS on my 8 Plus yet, but what you say regarding temperature and battery drain is essentially normal behavior. I wouldn't worry about it.

3. GrumpyMom macrumors 603

GrumpyMom

Pokémon Go has been really naughty lately. It's been messing with my S8's+ camera even when I thought the app was closed. It's been overheating my iPhone 7 Plus all summer right up to the present. Yeah, my iPhone got scary hot! I would have thought something was wrong with my iPhone but it runs fine otherwise. It can get a bit warm sometimes but not Charmander hot! ;)

My battery is terrible since upgrading to iOS 11 and even with today's update. :(

4. DynaFXD thread starter macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

Battery drain, yes. The heat, not so much, esp. compared to the 7, IMHO. Just curious if others have been noting how warm this phone can get. Or maybe I just never noticed. If I get motivated maybe I'll do a comparison and post it up ;-)
    --- Post Merged, Sep 27, 2017 ---
    We have four phones and three iPads running 11. Can't say that I am hearing any complaints about the battery UNLESS the GPS system is running. We've always known that it can kill a battery pretty fast, but it seems faster (and hotter) than I previously noticed. I tend to agree with your inference that it could be Pokemon Go. It may be that for whatever reason it is just polling the GPS constantly which is running up the dissipated power. Considering most of us are just taking walks when out hunting, it is not like we need to have constant updates to our location :). Maybe the new OS and this version of Go are just locking horns right now.

5. GrumpyMom macrumors 603

GrumpyMom

I’ve not been using my GPS lately for navigation. Just Pokémon Go. It’s definitely been roasting my iPhone if I’ve got it running a little past about 8 minutes, by my estimation. Definitely when the ambient temperature is already warm, around 75F.

Another forum member had an IPhone 7 or 7 Plus that randomly would run very hot. I think she returned it. You’re not reporting random overheating though so I’m not sure what to think.

Samsung has built a special structure for their last two generations of Galaxy phones to help with heat dissipation because glass isn’t as good a conductor of heat as the metal.

If your glass iPhone is running hot enough for you to notice and be concerned about it, I wonder exactly how hot it’s really is running internally compared to my iPhone 7 Plus when mine feels like it’s running hot. I’ll drop out of this thread now and let others have a chance to respond.

Before I go I’ll just throw in that everything has gone a bit upside down to what I had been used to. The 2016 Samsung Galaxy phones ran hot and chewed through battery. The Snapdragon processor at the time did run hot. But in 2017 the new 835 runs cool even on a hot summers day and I get incredible battery life.

Meanwhile my iPhone 7 Plus tends to run warm when ambient temperatures are warm and really hot on Pokémon Go. I’m not used to iPhones running hot and dying fast and Samsung’s running cool and lasting all day.

6. sdwaltz macrumors 6502

Mine has always run hot when using GPS. Never so hot I couldn’t touch it or anything, but it definitely runs hot. Sometimes I even notice it through a case.

In the past I’ve noticed my phone will get hot when it has a runaway process running in the background and I have to restart in order to get it back to normal. Is it possible that you had a runaway process in the background WHILE using GPS?

Just thinking out loud here.

7. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Thats entirely on Pokemon Go. its been that way for several months now. Each update gets worse and worse because they add more things without optimizing. When I first got my 7Plus last September, I could get 8 solid hours of Pokemon Go on a charge. Last week on my 7Plus, I was lucky to get 3 hours on a full charge. 8Plus is following similar pattern. 3 hours a dead.

GPS will also make the phone work more, warm up and use more battery. Using GPS increase battery drain, which causes the battery to get warm, which increases battery drain more, which just creates the phone into a hot mess. But Pokemon Go amplifies it 1000%.

Isn't aluminum a natural heat sink? The glass rear will probably retain heat compared to the aluminum.

8. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

Do you have a MewTwo? I think this happens on all iPhones. Mine does too...

9. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I don't have Mewtwo :mad::mad: Can't get a stupid EX pass, even though all my nearby gyms that I have raided at have had EX raids.

10. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

I raided at a Starbucks the week the MewTwo first came out at Sprint. I raided elsewhere and they released EX pass for Starbucks and Sprint. I want a stupid EX pass too :(

11. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I raided at the gym that had the EX raid Thursday of last week. Half my discord group got invites, the other half didn't. Let me tell you, had some angry peeps in there (myself included).

12. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

Defective unit, replace it at Apple store

13. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Its really not defective. Thats entirely normal behavior, especially for Pokemon Go.

14. puaken macrumors newbie

I just upgraded from an iPhone 6s to an iPhone 8 and I can tell you that the 8 most definitely gets warmer running pokemon go. My 6s will not get noticeably warm at all whereas the iPhone 8 will get very warm. I'm actually thinking of going back to my 6s '~'

15. DynaFXD thread starter macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

Thanks for all the ideas, everyone. Based on what I hearing, it sounds like the temperature rise is a combination of Pokemon Go being a bit of a mess and a thicker glass back that may be holding in more heat with a dash of could be a bad unit. If others are reporting this, then I am inclined to go with a software issue and not a hardware issue at this point. I'll try the same walk with only Waze or Maps running and see if I get the same symptoms. I could also try this with the 7 and compare. I am still in the return window, so I could send back and try again later if I wanted to. Thanks again.

16. ACST Suspended

glass vs aluminium, so that's to be expected. Otherwise it's really a Pokemon GO problem which is an extremely badly made unoptimized app, which means heat and battery issues.