iPhone 8 Heating Issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vin1717, Sep 29, 2017.

1. vin1717 macrumors member

I have a 256 gb iPhone 8 and have been noticing instances of the device heating up. It appears to be completely random with no particular app triggering when it happens. I always keep the screen brightness down and have the updated software (11.01.1).

Any other 8 owners having the same issue?

2. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

When did you get and set it up? It usually takes 2-3 days for all the stuff that happens in the background to settle down.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Tell us what software you are running. Many time an app can hang up and cause this. Have you checked the battery statistics to see what is using the power. If it is heating up it has also to be eating up the battery

4. vin1717 thread starter macrumors member

I got it and set it up on launch day, so it’s been a full week.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 29, 2017 ---
    11.0.1, the update pushed out his week. The battery statistics are normal, with nothing standing out and there isn’t really a battery drain. The phone just gets warm.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

When does it get warm? Is it while you are doing something?

If it is really getting warm is has to be using a good bit of battery. Takes energy to make things warm.

6. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

Well my iPad mini 4 behaves this way sometimes. My IPhone 7 Plus does on occasion, but not daily. I'll have to just pause here and see what fellow owners of your same model are experiencing. It's been a long time since an iPhone has had a glass body and I'm not sure how heat transfer feels on it and how hot the new chip runs.

7. vin1717 thread starter macrumors member

I noticed it while I was scrolling Twitter the most recent time. Other times it happened, it was on Safari and a news app. I didn’t see a spike in he battery usage for those particular apps when it happened.

I’m guessing it was the software update just working itself out.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 29, 2017 ---
    That’s a great point, I didn’t think about the glass back element. I think it could have something to do with the software too, since I noticed the heating issue on my 6s running ios11 before I got the 8.

Im guessing the issue will likely correct itself. I’m probably just being hyper sensitive because the phone is only a week old.

8. Reno Raines macrumors 65816

Mine was only hot when I restored it. Besides that it appears normal.