Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and upcoming iPhone X include support for Galileo, Europe's Global Satellite Navigation System. While this information has been listed on Apple's iPhone technical specifications page since the devices debuted earlier this month, it's a feature update that's received little attention.

Galileo joins existing support for the Global Positioning System (GPS) operated by the U.S. government, the Global Navigation Satellite System (GLONASS) operated by the Russian Aerospace Defense Forces, and QZSS, the regional Quasi-Zenith Satellite System used in Japan.

galileo.jpg

According to the European Global Navigation Satellite Systems Agency, Galileo support in the new iPhones will allow users to benefit from more precise positioning that's able to combine GPS, GLONASS, and Galileo signals. Galileo, says the agency, has a modern signal structure that's able to help users better maintain their position fix when navigating through cities worldwide.

Multi-satellite support also increases signal availability in urban areas where buildings can obstruct the sky and limit the number of visible satellites. Galileo has 15 operational satellites in orbit and three that are in testing, compared to 31 GPS satellites and 24 GLONASS satellites. By 2020, Galileo is expected to have 30 satellites operational.

Worldwide support for QZSS is also new in Apple's 2017 iPhone lineup. iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus models sold in Japan previously supported QZSS, but now all iPhones offer the feature. QZSS, unlike Galileo, GPS, and GLONASS, is limited to three satellites and is receivable only within Japan.

Article Link: iPhone 8, 8 Plus, and X Support the Galileo Satellite System for Better GPS

Reactions: EsmeraldaDoll

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
This is the time of year for some of us to buy new iPhones, but I'm sticking with my 6S+ for now. I spent my money (about $700) on a one-day ticket to the yearly ION GNSS+ so I could go to one GPS-related seminar. Broadcom announced what I was looking forward to hearing about - a new chip that will likely go into smartphones and tap into the L5 frequency. I couldn't squeeze what smartphones will get this chip out of the reps. :mad: We're not down to a gnat's ass yet, but we're getting close…

Here's a summary over at IEEE Spectrum: Superaccurate GPS Chips Coming to Smartphones in 2018

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
This is the time of year for some of us to buy new iPhones, but I'm sticking with my 6S+ for now. I spent my money (about $700) on a one-day ticket to the yearly ION GNSS+ so I could go to one GPS-related seminar. Broadcom announced what I was looking forward to hearing about - a new chip that will likely go into smartphones and tap into the L5 frequency. I couldn't squeeze what smartphones will get this chip out of the reps. :mad: We're not down to a gnat's ass yet, but we're getting close…

Here's a summary over at IEEE Spectrum: Superaccurate GPS Chips Coming to Smartphones in 2018
I want to know where I am and where I am going, so I guess that’s good news. But I don’t want The Terminator to have an easy time finding me.:eek: I feel so conflicted.

Thanks for the heads up. I would just imagine some Android phone will get this first just because of where the major ones fall on the release cycle. I know, stating the obvious.

Reactions: macs4nw

nutriousmitten

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2017
Between this useful enhancement and the updated modems not getting the most basic of mention at the presser, while awkward game developers get time to pimp their niche games, another VP goes on and on about the asthetics of their mall storefronts, and many minutes devoted to enhanced emoji, really shows how far Apple has gone in the past 5 years.

meboy

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2012
This is such a catch-up phone. Still not even there.
Low res IPS, small battery, huge top and bottom bezels, still limited in all sorts of ways by the OS.

Not to mention the notebook and PC lines... Full of stupid.

The event this year was the most sad ever. They were clearly humbled and knew what they were offering wasn't good.
Get rid of the management. Catch up faster. Fix these idiotic decisions being made.

luvbug

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2017
Getting closer every day!
Low res IPS, small battery, huge top and bottom bezels, still limited in all sorts of ways by the OS.

The event this year was the most sad ever. They were clearly humbled and knew what they were offering wasn't good.
Get rid of the management. Catch up faster. Fix these idiotic decisions being made.

What, are you a speech writer for Trump, just slumming on an Apple board for the evening?

Sad ...

Compote

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2016

"Full of stupid" ? Are you the Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga villain, Fawful?

fawful-1.jpg

I agree that Apple is having an annus horribilis with its iPhone line. But the iPad Pro 10.5 sent the competition blasting off once again.

You should probably move to MacHaters.com

jakebro

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2016
Galileo really is a major improvement to existing positioning systems. There are only three such systems with global coverage: the United States' Global Positioning System (GPS), Russia's Global Navigation Satellite System (GLONASS), and the European Union's Galileo. For comparison, the accuracy of GPS is 5 metres, GLONASS is 2 metres, and Galileo is 1 centimetre.

Also, Galileo provides a new global search and rescue service. Its satellites could relay a distress signal from an iPhone (if Apple supports it) to the nearest rescue centre (under the International Cospas-Sarsat Programme), which will then begin a rescue operation. Also, its the first positioning system that can return a message to inform the user that their distress signal has been received and help is on its way.

All new cars sold in the EU will be required to support Galileo from 2020.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
No, not good at all...except for having the fastest chips in the smartphone industry by far, the best phone camera currently available, Touch ID on the front instead of the back beside the camera lens (lol), and all the features of iOS you can't get on Android, including iMessage.

Reactions: gatortpk

[AUT] Thomas

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2016
Graz [Austria]
Good. Should have promoted that more... NAVSTAR and GLONASS are nice, but any addition to that is highly appreciated. Would be great if the GPS chipset consumes the same or less power.

Airforcekid

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
United States of America
Curious if anyone has tested this and seen a noticeable difference?

I was actually getting ready to post a review of this it has been my favorite feature of the iPhone 8 Plus so far. Ive been in NYC and DC with it so far along with a flight. My location is now found instantly and accurately for example in NYC on my 6s plus it would take a few seconds to find my location at all then I would have a blue circle guessing where I am that was off by a block or two. Now I open maps and in under a second it has my location and I can even see what side of the street I am on right away by zooming in. I no longer have to move around for it to pick up my exact location making walking directions much more accurate. I have also noticed better reception inside buildings and was even able to track myself during a flight by holding it near the window. All in all this alone made the 8 a worthy upgrade for me and I am disappointed more people are not talking about it.

bn-7bc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2008
Arendal, Norway
I'm sure this statement could make use of a couple of asterisks. For example:
(1) The higher-precision capabilities will be available for paying commercial users.
According to what i have read the open service (which is the one 99$ uf devices will use due to nio extra cost) will be down to 1m horizontal and 3 m verticla precison iirc, paid services can provide down to centimiter horisontal and adds integrity

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.