Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rmarinheira

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2008
Hi!
Just got my 8 and it is just fine!
No issues at all.
Yet, I noticed the mute switch is a bit on the loose side when unmuted: it is just a sight play that happens only on unmuted position, but not enough for it to rattle (fortunately).
How is your experience with the mute switch on yours?
Is this common, to have a slight play on one of the states (muted or unmuted)?
Does it get looser with time?

Thanks in advance for your contributions.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Hi!
No issues at all.
Yet, I noticed the mute switch is a bit on the loose side when unmuted: it is just a sight play that happens only on unmuted position, but not enough for it to rattle (fortunately).

With the mute switch in muted, there is a slight rattle as all have my iPhone's have been in the past. When the mute switch is muted, I have zero play and it's locked securely with no rattle. I would not say it gets any 'looser' overtime.

KurtWinfield

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2017
Hi!
No issues at all.

[doublepost=1512613301][/doublepost]Same here. I just got the 8 and the mute switch is a bit loose when it’s not muted, and absolutely solid when muted.

I was on the fence about sending it back for a replacement but now I think it might be the same on all devices.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
I don’t have an 8, but I think it is common with that phone style (the aluminum build I mean). I remember my previous phones being like that, though I don’t remember exactly which models (I’ve owned 4, 5, 5s, 6, 6s, and 7), but I definitely remember the feeling.

The only one I can check for sure is an old 6 my mom used to use (still in perfect condition), which does indeed have the slightly loose-feeling mute switch. However my iPhone X feels very solid. So it’s possible it could be the aliminum switches.

iMi

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
I have the 8 Plus. There is no rattle of any kinds and no slack. Not even a little. Just a click on and off.

Visit a local Best Buy or an Apple Store. See if any of the phones on display do the same thing.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I have the 8 Plus. There is no rattle of any kinds and no slack. Not even a little. Just a click on and off.

Visit a local Best Buy or an Apple Store. See if any of the phones on display do the same thing.

Every iPhone will manufacture slightly different with the mute switch. Some have the rattle and others do not. It's actually similar to how the Apple Watch is with the digital crown that rotates, which can be loose or tighter in toleration's for some as well. It's just how hardware is manufactured, it doesn't have the exact same specifications across the board.

rmarinheira

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2008
According to other very known website which name start with a color (red***) :) it happens exactly the same with the mute switch on the X.
Of course, all components have tolerances which makes some switches a bit more or less loose.
Again, mine is not that loose at the point of rattling.
In fact, I only notice some pplay if I try to move it slightly with my finger.
Otherwise, no rattle or play is noticeable.

Last edited:

Justaperson

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2017
Just got an iPhone 8. Mine has a small rattle that is audible when the phone is shaken or if I get a vibration. It sounds from this post that it is quite common. Don't know if I should return mine actually. The only thing that sucks is that my 7 didn't have any play at all which is unfortunate. Do you guys know if it will affect the water resistance? Or is the sealing "behind" the mute switch so it won't matter that it is loose.

Ghosthhawk

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2018
Hello sorry I'm french and I do not speak English very well ... but I have the same concern as you but the button moves slightly when it is in the silent position. I sent it twice to Apple and he came back twice saying that it was normal ...

Ghosthhawk

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2018
Yes because no apple store in Normandy ... we are a little sour in France ... both times he came back saying that this was normal ... but the funny thing is that it only happens when he and in silent mode

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.