iPhone 8 Plus gets hot w/ wireless charging

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iTom17, Sep 24, 2017.

1. iTom17 macrumors 6502a

iTom17

Hi everyone,

Today I bought my very first 'Plus' iPhone, the iPhone 8 Plus. Very happy with it so far. Kinda big for my hands actually, but I'll get used to that haha.

So I'm already using this wireless charging pad, and I noticed that my iPhone gets incredibly hot. I know it's not uncommon at al for a phone to get warm when it gets charged, but it's like... very, very hot. Almost like it's not a good thing. Should I be worried? Is it only temporary?

I mean, I haven't used it for at least an hour as I'm typing this. And it was already fully set up before I left it at the charger. So it seems a bit odd to me. :p

2. Surfer13134 macrumors 6502a

It’s normal for the phones to get hotter than normal while wireless charging. Wireless charging is extremely inefficient.

3. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

How hot is very, very hot? Too hot to handle? There's something wrong. Warm? It's fine.

4. Darkashnet macrumors regular

Darkashnet

Mine's charging right now and it hasn't heated up, I'll keep an eye on it though.

5. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

My S8+ gets a little warmer as well. Don’t worry about it.

6. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

I’m picking up a Belkin charger tomorrow at my local Apple Store. I hope heat isn’t an issue since it’s going on my bedside to charge overnight.

7. iTom17 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iTom17

Ah, that's good to hear actually. Thank you.

Well, it's not that hot, but definitely hottest I've ever experienced with an iPhone. Can still hold it without burning my hands of course, but it was really hot. :p

Hmm, okay. That's a bit strange then. Well, I'll keep an eye on it too.

Actually it's not even that worrying compared to the fact that my iPhone constantly slides away on the charging pad, resulting in it stopping from getting charged. xD Have ordered a case, that'll solve that problem haha.

8. JOHNGAETANO macrumors 6502

JOHNGAETANO

Unless it catches on fire, don't worry about it. Let it charge, and leave it alone.

9. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

Something wrong, if it's warm okay, hot enough to be uncomfortable when holding it? Get a replacement

10. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

Which wireless charger are you using?

11. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I bought the Belkin for my 8+ and at most it got warm. Charged the phone from 70% to 100% in less than 90 minutes.

Your phone should not get really hot.

12. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68020

Which charger are you using? I am using an 8 plus I bought today with the Belkin charger that Apple carries. And neither the charger or phone has gotten hot once.

13. iTom17 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iTom17

It's from a company called 'Zens'. This one exactly: https://www.makezens.com/shop/zens-single-wireless-charger-black/

Nothing special or anything, just didn't want to spend like +€50 for it. And it does work well, it's just that the phone gets quite hot. Might be a one-time thing. I'll keep an eye on it, maybe it's got something to do with iOS indexing and all. :p

14. coreyk macrumors member

coreyk

I too bought the Belkin charger that Apple carries to go with my 8. I noticed last night when I was using the wireless charging pad that my phone got a little warmer than it would normally with wired charging, but it wasn’t uncomfortable, just surprising since I didn’t know anything previously about wireless charging except that both it and the iPhone 8 are examples of Arthur C Clarke’s third law.

15. msp3 macrumors regular

Do all wireless charging capable iPhones get warm? Or is it just the iPhone 8 Plus (maybe also the XS Max) because the battery is so large?

16. Otflyer macrumors 6502a

Otflyer

Don’t know the answer to that but, my iPhone XS gets warm but, not hot. Personally, I don’t use wireless charging that much and don’t think it’s a big deal. Wired charging is no less convenient.