Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

happyhippo1337

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2013
Please just do me a very easy favour guys:

• Take a picture with your 8 Plus.
  • Take the same picture again with any filter Apple provides
  • Look at both pictures zoomed in. Filtered picture is considerably sharper
alternatively:

• Take a picture with your 8 Plus
  • Load the picture into Snapseed on your phone
  • Dont do anything with it, export it right away as a copy
  • Compare both photos - the second one that you did nothing with except loading it into Snapseed (or any other application) is considerably sharper

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
If you zoom in all the way, kitty looks like an oil painting. However, I would think the average picture taker is not going to be zooming in all the way on every shot, and then using said zoom as the main focus of the picture. I do get the point of complaint. I think the stock camera app has a long way to go.

Agreed. You would think this is the Nikon DSLR forum. Considering that these a cell phone taking images with tiny little lenses and tiny little sensors, I would say the images are amazing. Being a “pixel peeper” will make any image look like an oil painting. Step back, get out of the box and see the whole image. I come from a world of Leica and Nikon and you people do not know how lucky you are to have a great camera in the iPhone. A single Leica lens would count 4 times what the whole 8+ costs.

Last edited:

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Agreed. You would think this is the Nikon DSLR forum. Considering that these a cell phone taking images with tiny little lenses and tiny little sensors, I would say the images are amazing. Being a “pixel peeper” will make any image look like an oil painting. Step back, get out of the box and see the whole image. I come from a world of Leica and Nikon and you people do not know how lucky you are to have a great camera in the iPhone. A safe Nile Leican lens would count 4 times what the whole 8+ costs.
I agree with your point. I think the expectations of some forum members is unrealistic with the iPhone.

To my knowledge, Apple has not marketed the new phones as comparable DSLR replacement devices. There may be some pro's that use an iPhone exclusively for their work. However, I would think that niche would be very miniscule.

I really like the ability of the new phone. But compared to some of the real DSLR cameras and lenses, it can't compete. And as you said, the phone is still a bargain (picture wise) for what it can do).

happyhippo1337

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2013
Guys can we please not start about the expectations of a phone camera sensor? I own a freakin' A7 RII with 42 MP and I sure as hell like to pixelpeep. But I know the limitations of physics.

They do not explain while a picture taken with the iPhones native camera app is way less detailed than one taken with ProCamera or Lightroom mobile in JPG mode (not RAW). This has never been the case for me on any iPhone before and my iPhone 7 takes consistent pics every time. But the 8 Plus doesnt. Just test it out for yourself please and don't derail the topic ;)

roeiz

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
Guys can we please not start about the expectations of a phone camera sensor? I own a freakin' A7 RII with 42 MP and I sure as hell like to pixelpeep. But I know the limitations of physics.

They do not explain while a picture taken with the iPhones native camera app is way less detailed than one taken with ProCamera or Lightroom mobile in JPG mode (not RAW). This has never been the case for me on any iPhone before and my iPhone 7 takes consistent pics every time. But the 8 Plus doesnt. Just test it out for yourself please and don't derail the topic ;)

this sounds rather worrying and as you said, it should not be.
also might be a problem on the X.
so let us know if you managed to get it fixed somehow.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
I believe the OP is referring to this

Images appeared soft on screen

When comparing images side-by-side on screen, I started to realize the 8 Plus images appeared softer with less edge detail than the iPhone 7 Plus. This was pretty weird to me, so I assumed it was user error. I went into full test mode and started isolating all the variables. I used a tripod, turned off haptic feedback on the shutter release, and enabled the 3-second timer to eliminate any camera shake. I shot in super bright light and more, but still, images appear softer.

After I got the images onto my Mac, I could see the files were actually as sharp or sharper than the 7 Plus. I’m still not sure what was causing this display issue, but if you encounter it, you’re not alone.

I’m hunting down answers and will hear from the Apple team soon on what could be the culprit. When I figure out the solution and/or what was causing this, I will update here.

Source: http://austinmann.com/trek/iphone-8-camera-review-india

I would suggest emailing the reviewer to see if there is any response from Apple regarding this issue.
I don’t yet have an iPhone 8+ so I can’t test it out.

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I find I have to decrease the quality to get MR to post the image. Looking at images here does not come close to the quality I see on my desktop when I look at a full resolution image. I can actually see myself reflected in the eyes!

Agreed. You can't properly judge photos on a site such as this.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

tr1ad

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2017
Trinidad & Tobago
The compression ratio changed a while back resulting in what seems to be "low res" shots when zoomed in; the Apple support forums had a 60+ page topic for this very issue with the 7/7plus.
Which was the reason for me getting rid of my plus.

The SE has a similar issue but not as blown out as the 7/8 model devices

tr1ad

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2017
Trinidad & Tobago

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7691303?start=900&tstart=0

Long read

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2013
Yeah Apple has been pretty aggressive with noise reduction since the iPhone 6, which results in the oil painting look when zoomed in. Not much you can do about it if you only use the default camera app. I’m not sure if using a 3rd party app to shoot RAW and then developing the picture in post might yield better results. I haven’t tried it myself but it would at least give you some control over how much detail you are losing to noise reduction.
That is definitely the way to go! ;)

drzen

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2017
I know what you're talking about and sadly it seems like its been Apple's conscious decision for a while now. I, like you wish they'd lean more towards details than a smooth looking image.

Well it's always a compromise between noise and detail. RAW images taken by the tiny lenses and sensor are typically extremely noisy.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Please just do me a very easy favour guys:

• Take a picture with your 8 Plus.
  • Take the same picture again with any filter Apple provides
  • Look at both pictures zoomed in. Filtered picture is considerably sharper
alternatively:

• Take a picture with your 8 Plus
  • Load the picture into Snapseed on your phone
  • Dont do anything with it, export it right away as a copy
  • Compare both photos - the second one that you did nothing with except loading it into Snapseed (or any other application) is considerably sharper

I have to take steps to replicate your bad photos

happyhippo1337

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2013
I have to take steps to replicate your bad photos

You had to take a picture twice. If that exceedes your capabilities, I am deeply sorry.
However, tech reviewers and reddit were much more helpful than you Technary. Issue has been confirmed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.