iPhone 8 plus is freezing??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Appl3FTW, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

noticed it several times now. Anyone else had freezing problems with their new 8 series phones?

Today it froze on me when I was trying to text an image from my photos.

2. Newtons Apple, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017

Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Have you rebooted lately? It can also be an app that is hogging resources. Got plenty of memory?

Not many people reporting your problem.

3. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

I’ve rebooted multiple times... several hard boots matter of fact. Att screwed up my IMEI and I was literally down (no service) for more than an hour. I also noticed that when I was scrolling through the pictures app, the bottom left click selection is slow to non responsive. I know this app is not an add on it’s a built in app so that could eliminate the potential issue that the app is obsolete/incompatible.

4. djvidi macrumors member

I did experience some freezing when going into the settings app now and again but w hard reset seems to have fixed it and not seen it since.

5. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

6. chilman macrumors regular

chilman

That sound unusual, better have it exchanged. One too many reboots.

7. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

My 8+ has been perfect except for the app store. It seems to kill the app store app when I go to My Purchases for the family and download more than one thing at a time (not a problem with the 8+'s hardware but software) - my 6s+ didn't have a problem with this. Doesn't bother me especially now that I have all my apps - just took a little bit longer.

Haven't had any instances of freezing or locking up yet. Let us know how the restore goes!

8. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

Have you updated to 11.0.1 yet or are you still on 11?

9. sdwaltz macrumors 6502a

No problems here.

Like edlex said, make sure you're on 11.0.1 before you do anything else.

10. klink1 macrumors newbie

Got my 8 plus last night. While showing my wife how reachability works it froze. I could unlock the phone and put it in standby but could not open any apps. A reboot resolved the issue.

11. SmugMaverick macrumors member

SmugMaverick

12. matthew23 macrumors 6502

Same happend to my wife's 8+. The springboard completely froze but the lock screen still worked. I could not even reset it and had to press vol up quick, vol down quick then hold side button to get it to reset. After that, its worked ok.

13. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

14. ARizz44 macrumors 6502a

ARizz44

My initial 8 Plus froze on the home screen. I could swipe up control center and swipe down notification center but I could not activate any apps or move to another screen. The home button would do what it was supposed to. But the power button would not shut off my device. I could do a hard reset, but I could not simply power off for a soft reset. It was odd. I did a hard reset and hours later it did it again. I returned to Apple for a new device and have not had any problems since.

15. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

Yes running in 11.0.1. The final reboot finally seems to work better.

16. That70sGAdawg macrumors 6502a

That70sGAdawg

My Phone 8 on 11.0.1 has frozen 4-5 times even with 2 hard resets! Home button was even unresponsive...

17. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

Same here... I had the same symptoms. The last reset looks like it’s performing better. Btw I accidentally emergency called 911 by performing the old shut down combo. Bahaha. I know the new combo I was just curious.

18. bonjourx macrumors regular

bonjourx

Noticed mine freezing from time to time. Once today I Was gonna take a video of my son and it started acting up and it was just blinking on and off, tried to switch to taking photos but was still the same, so I turned it off and when I turned it on it seemed to have fix the problem. But I’ve noticed for the past couple of days from time to time it would freeze but never really paid attention to it until now. Will see if it continues I’d definitely exchange it.

19. Barrett85 macrumors member

Mine has frozen a couple of times as well. Screen will become unresponsive and can only be fixed by hard reset. I am currently running the latest iOS and was hoping that would fix the problem, but it did not. Other than that, I really really love the phone. It’s a nice upgrade from my 6s plus

20. MistrSynistr macrumors 65816

iOS 11.0.1 does freeze when using a combination of open apps and switching or doing more processor heavy tasks. I've had it happen multiple times now.

21. Strelok macrumors 6502a

Strelok

I've had a different issue. It's only happened twice in the past ~week now, but I open the phone and it's all super laggy. It seems like an issue with the down clocking of the cores, like they are at a super low clock speed. It reminds me of way back when I had an HD 4870, it would randomly get stuck in 2D clock speeds so games would run horribly. It goes away after about 5-10 seconds and I haven't seen it for a while now, but it's still kinda weird.