iPhone XR iPhone 8 plus or Xr for Senior Citizen?

jasbur17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
I have a senior (75ish) on my plan and it's time for her to get a new phone. She currently has an iPhone 6, not tech savvy but does OK. Obviously it would be safer to get the 8 but i'd prefer not to go the older route.
Anyone have any insight? Do the older among us do OK without the home button? Maybe I'm crazy and it's actually easier with touch navigation.
Thanks!

Reactions: Newtons Apple

raylo32

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2018
I'd say that switching to the new might be good for her. Learning the gestures exercises new brain pathways. If she could work the 6 she can learn the gestures.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
8 or 8+ would likely be less frustrating for her since she knows how to use a 6 already.

Reactions: jasbur17

Clix Pix

macrumors demi-goddess
As a "senior" myself, having passed the 73-year-old mark, I'll speak up here...... Last year I bought the iPhone X and this year I bought the iPhone XS. I LOVE Face ID, which works so much better and more responsively than Touch ID ever did for me. I also do not miss the home button at all. Swiping up becomes instinctive and natural very, very quickly. Just because someone is older does not mean that they are unable to adapt to new things or to learn new things.....unless the individual in question is struggling with cognitive issues such as the onset of dementia.

Someone doesn't need to be especially "techie"-oriented in order to use the iPhone X, XS or XR. (Disclaimer here, though: as it happens, I am rather "techie" and have been using computers and various devices since the mid-1980's, bought the iPhone the day it was launched in 2007, bought the iPad the day it was launched in 2010, etc., etc.) I have friends who are not especially interested in exactly how their devices work, just so the things do whatever the user wants and needs, and occasionally I'll get a call or a text -- "help!" -- about some issue or other, but for the most part they do just fine with their iPhones, iPads or computers.

I agree with the suggestion that if possible, you take the person to the store with you and let her choose what feels best to her.......

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I have a senior (75ish) on my plan and it's time for her to get a new phone. She currently has an iPhone 6, not tech savvy but does OK. Obviously it would be safer to get the 8 but i'd prefer not to go the older route.
Anyone have any insight? Do the older among us do OK without the home button? Maybe I'm crazy and it's actually easier with touch navigation.
Thanks!
Do not forget to let the "senior" help in making the choice, they like that!

Reactions: jasbur17

Mackinjosh

Suspended
Aug 21, 2014
I've found that with the elderly, choose the path of least resistance. If they already know how to navigate with the home button, get the 8. I prefer the new gesture system, but my hands are very agile/nimble. What's easy and natural to me might not be so for a senior.