iPhone 8 Plus Otterbox Defender owners

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by jmtks, Oct 3, 2017.

1. jmtks macrumors newbie

Hi,

For owners of the iPhone 8 plus who have an otterbox defender case, how heavy does it make the device? How would you review such a case? I really like the idea of the level of protection but it looks a bit bulky and heavy and I'm struggling to find another case that offers protection while still looking good and not adding too much bulk

2. boxermansr macrumors 6502a

boxermansr

I've usually used OtterBox Defenders, but got tired of them because I'd always end up having to remove it a few times a month to get out dust, etc. I used it on my 7+ and it made it feel a bit heavier, thicker, and since the 7+ was already bigger it wasn't always easy to hold while talking.

I ended up going to Lifeproof as it protects the entire phone the same way, but is much thinner, and pretty much has no way to let dust, etc. in once it's on. I'm now using the same Lifeproof (Fre) that I used with my 7+ on my 8+ even though Lifeproof claims it doesn't fit (fit perfectly for me).

3. jmtks thread starter macrumors newbie

My only worry is the cost for lifeproof, defender was already £50 but lifeproof is £80! Struggling to justify spending that on just a case albeit if I weigh it up against insurance it's cheaper - is it as satisfying to use with the lifeproof case? How much weight does it add?

4. boxermansr macrumors 6502a

boxermansr

Yes the price difference is a big factor. Here in the US Best Buy has the 7+ Lifeproof Fre on sale for under $50, not sure if that’s any type of option for you. It does not add much weight and it does not add as much bulk as the OtterBox Defender did.

5. jmtks thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd totally snap it up for that price! Both at the best and worst I've experienced dollar exchange rates, although in GBP it's over $100 - $170 at the golden exchange rates!

6. Tommo05 macrumors newbie

Tommo05

Life proof fre here also - checked the defender also but couldn’t deal with the bulk. In Australia the fre was $115aud and defender $80.

7. Dr_Charles_Forbin macrumors regular

Dr_Charles_Forbin

Just be careful - I found a problem with the life proof on my old 6s+ => the screen to drag up control panel is very sensitive - you have to grab it at the very bottom under iOS 11. I was having trouble until I swapped cases - it then worked consistently well.

8. staggerlee41 macrumors 6502a

staggerlee41

It's also been my experience that cases designed for iPhone 7+ fit the 8+ as well. The day I bought the 8+ I got a case designed for the 7+ and it fits perfectly. That case is just an every day sort of case though. Why I buy Lifeproof cases are because they're waterproof and I'd like something to give my device the protection when I'm out near the water hiking or fishing.

Out of curiosity, have you tested your Lifeproof 7+ case with iPhone in water? If waterproof is not important to you, the 7+ case may be a great way to go. 8+ is just a fraction thicker and a screen protector may add another fraction of thickness and I wonder if that somehow compromises the fit of the case to allow waterproof protection, or warranty for that matter. I know every year a new phone is released, it's a revenue opportunity for accessory companies and am not naive about that.

I don't mean to come across as a nay sayer and hope my comments have not been perceived as such.