Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

archvile

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
I was playing around with my new 8 Plus, playing some music to test out the louder speakers, when I noticed that, when music is playing, and you touch the screen, you can feel it vibrating (along with the music), it is very noticeable and more noticeable the louder the volume is. I tested further by changing Equalizer settings (I always keep it on Rock), and that has no effect on it. It is easier to tell by starting music, turning the screen off, and putting your thumb on the screen. Did the 7/7+ do this? I'm coming from an SE so I'm not sure if this is common with the bigger sized phones with dual speakers, or if this is some kind of defect?

movieator

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2009
LA, CA
I was playing around with my new 8 Plus, playing some music to test out the louder speakers, when I noticed that, when music is playing, and you touch the screen, you can feel it vibrating (along with the music), it is very noticeable and more noticeable the louder the volume is. I tested further by changing Equalizer settings (I always keep it on Rock), and that has no effect on it. It is easier to tell by starting music, turning the screen off, and putting your thumb on the screen. Did the 7/7+ do this? I'm coming from an SE so I'm not sure if this is common with the bigger sized phones with dual speakers, or if this is some kind of defect?
I've noticed this, at full volume, on my 7+. It's relatively subtle, but it didn't bother me all that much.
It's just physics, y'all.

Last edited:

Cayden

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2014
Utah
My 7+ did this and my new 8+ does this as well. It's not a defect, just a physical attribute of fitting large speakers into such a small device

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2013
I noticed this with the S8 when I played with it in the store too. I think, as has already been said, it's just the effect of speaker vibration transmitting through the chassis of the phones.

archvile

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
OK, just hadn't noticed it before on any other iPhone I'd had, but none of them had dual speakers either.

I can feel it too even at 1/4 volume, I guess it's a side effect of the larger/louder speakers we got in this thing.

Just wanted to make sure I didn't get a Foxconn special...haha.

Thanks everyone

MacintoshDan

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2013
The first generation iPad Air would give you a full on finger massage when listening to audio over it’s built on speakers.

Nikolaijones

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2018
The 7+ indeed do this, but my iPhone X does not. I know for a fact that the screen vibration is due to the bass from the earpiece speaker though, because if you cover it up with your finger, you will notice that the screen does not vibrate while doing so. The speaker is glued onto the screen from the bottom, which would explain the vibrating, but this would not explain why the iPhone X’s screen does not vibrate the same way. Maybe the iPhone X’s display was perhap vbuilt more rigidly. Hope i answered your question! There really is no fix to this, other than setting the equalizer to flat which almost completely gets rid of the bass and therefore the screen vibration, but personally this makes music less fun to listen to. Your call!

I love my iphone 8

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2019
FYI it’s just that the bass is stronger so don’t freak out about it, I got my iPhone 8 3 days ago and I also came from an iPhone SE so don’t worry it’s normal for that to happen, I hope that answered your question.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.