iPhone 8 Plus? This year, next year, or never?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by French Quarter, Aug 10, 2017.

?

"iPhone 8 Plus"? (with LARGE screen, not just regular "8") This year, next year, or never?

1. iPhone 8 Plus... comes out this year, Fall 2017.

12.1%
  2. iPhone 8 Plus... comes out NEXT year, Fall 2018.

54.5%
  3. iPhone 8 Plus... never comes out, Apple migrates back to just 1 size.

33.3%
  1. French Quarter, Aug 10, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2017

French Quarter macrumors newbie

iPhone 8 Plus? This year, next year, or never?

Do you think Apple will reveal only the midsize iPhone 8 this year, and then a plus-size version next year?

(Since everyone says 3 models, and not 4... 7s, 7s Plus, 8 this year.)

And then next year we will be back to 2 sizes... one midsize and one large, and both with edge-to-edge screens? (8s, 8s Plus)

Or do you think the iPhone 8 Plus never comes out, and Apple migrates back to just 1 size?

...Also, do you think we will get 512GB in the iPhone, this year or next? (Maybe it will be called "iPhone 8 Pro" next year... large screen and 512GB.)

...I love Apple, but I think they also love to introduce a new concept model one year, and keep the options small and simple, and then the following year upgrade it to the bigger, faster, better model that everyone really wanted.

2. Sunny1990, Aug 10, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2017

Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

3. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

If the iphone 8 is $999, i guess the Plus will start at $1200 at least.

Dammmmm, it's going to be expensive. Unless they find a way to integrate a cheaper version in their lineup like this years 7s series compared to the OLED model.

4. French Quarter thread starter macrumors newbie

I personally am waiting for the 512GB iPhone model with a BIG screen. This makes sense, since they killed the iPad Mini AND the iPod (and in the process of killing or stagnating the iPod Touch).

A new BIG-SCREEN iPhone will replace the iPad Mini (and iPod Touch).

5. michael9891 macrumors 6502a

Have fun waiting then.

6. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

Great thread here are my thoughts of how Apple will announced the 8 PLUS.

#1. Apple sources the OLED displays from the Samsung NOTE line and sizes of phones. Why? Because it's the only way to make 60 Million Displays. 5.7"/5.8" is the same size as the Note 5 with less bezel. Next Years IPhone 8 PLUS will feature a 6.3" Display size Same as Samsungs NOTE 8 this year.
    #2. Apple is literally fooling/duping people into buying the "small" IPhone 8 because this year this just is no True plus model being made. So the vast majority of buyers will think 5.8" sure sounds better than 5.5"
    #3. IMO there will be NO IPhone 8 PLUS Name wise. Here's what's gonna Happen. This year IPhone 7s and 7s PLUS will be called IPhone Edition one name both sizes. And the 5.8" OLED IPhone will be called IPhone Pro. Due to its Pro features which differentiates it from the iPhone Edition Line. Next Year, Apple will Phase out the IPhone 7 based Edition Models. And the 5.8" IPhone Pro will be Renamed IPhone Edition. And the 6.3" OLED IPhone will be named IPhone Pro. So from the on. Edition will be the smaller version with fewer features. And the PLUS model will be named IPhone Pro with better features and better camera.

2017: (IPhone 7s and 7 Plus Rename IPhone Edition) 5.8" OLED IPhone Pro
    2018: (IPhone Edition 5.8" old renamed 2017 Model gets demoted) 6.3" OLED IPhone Pro with more features

So from then on.

IPhone Edition (standard size 5.8") and IPhone Pro 6.3" (takes place of PLUS size model)

P.S. Due to the Removal of the Bezels and HOME button even though the display sizes are much larger they are in fact just as small as the current 4.7" and 5.5" units.

For example the 5.7" OLED Samsung Galaxy Note 5 is in fact Smaller, and thinner than the 5.5" IPhone 7 PLUS
    How ? Samsung used less Bezels.

7. Infiniverse48 macrumors 6502a

I have to hand it to you, the marketing terms you think they'll have are so outlandishly ridiculous and obviously inaccurate that no one has even thought of that before.

There will be no iPhone Pro or iPhone Edition in the history of iPhone from now until the end of time

8. michael9891 macrumors 6502a

No surprise a certain someone thinks it's a great thread, any excuse for an essay. Never addresses when asked why Apple are duping people. Tells me they know they're talking crap.

9. craigio85 macrumors regular

I can't see a Plus sized model being taken forward in the range. The dimensions and screen space of the OLED model will make the current one, while not completely redundant, so niche that it's not worth the cost of developing and producing.

10. French Quarter thread starter macrumors newbie

11. tann macrumors 68000

Next year, makes sense. By then the supply will be advanced enough to produce it.

Also, the new 8 will dimensionally be quite small, so makes sense to make a 7 Plus sized iPhone 8 someday, with large 6.4" screen or so.

Also then they can drop the price of the 8 once components are cheaper next year (but not by a lot) and introduce an even more expensive Plus. At this point I would eliminate the original 7S Plus size phone and go from 4.7" "old design", to 5.8" to 6.4".

People will be pushed up from the 4.7" due to lack of advanced cameras, features, in screen fingerprint reader and face scanning etc, plus it'll look old. Average selling price will shoot up, shareholders happy, Tim happy.

12. DNichter macrumors 68040

DNichter

I think it was reported that there will be two phones next year, 5.8 and I think 6.4.

13. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Since when was the iPad Mini killed but the iPod touch is still in the process?

14. tkukoc macrumors 65816

tkukoc

If the rumor of pricing is true the iPhone 8 will start at 999, end around 1199 depending on memory sizes. So knowing that, I can see a 1399 plus model next year. This is another reason why I don't mind waiting another year. There has to be more in the wings, Apple doesn't just make 1 verison anymore. The 7s series is obviously the last editions to carry a bezel, other than the rumored SE unless that is getting a bezel-less screen which would be seriously epic.. but i'd say has near zero chance of actually happening.

15. 576316 macrumors 601

I honestly don't think they'll do a 'Plus' model of this new iPhone. I think they'll really push the idea of this new screen format being 'the perfect size' for all users, and attempt to move back to a one-size-fits-all iPhone. They'll talk at length about how they've made the phone's footprint smaller without sacrificing any screen real estate, making the screen just as big as the Plus screen. I think a lot of people would love a Plus sized screen, but don't like how big the phone physically is. I think this phone will be the sweet spot and Apple won't see a reason to build a bigger version. Particular as the phablet is seemingly going out of fashion again.

16. the future macrumors 65816

As many people have no problem at all handling the size of the Plus models and want to have the largest mobile screen possible, of course there will be a larger OLED model next year. For Apple, it's an easy 100-150 $ upsell, so why not.

17. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

Let's cal
    Let's split the difference I'll ask for a 7.0" iPad Mini Phone Pro device bigger than a phone smaller than a mini tablet. I just want to see people try and fit it, into skinny jeans.

18. democracyrules macrumors 6502a

Totally agree with the above comment. Let us hope this wish materializes.

19. michael9891 macrumors 6502a

Pretty sure next year they'll introduce a bigger iPhone. And how can you say the phablet is going out of fashion? Have you not seen the size of the screens on Huwawei, Samsung etc?

20. 576316 macrumors 601

Well, all I'm saying is I can see Apple suggesting this new iPhone is the perfect size and there's no need for a bigger one. The phablet is definitely going out of fashion with companies now thankfully stopping phones with ridiculously sized screens, yes a few still exist, but I think we're going to see a shift back to 'normal' sized phones in the next year or so.

21. Vilacr macrumors regular

If Apple attempts to "force" people to purchase a smaller phone they will lose customers. I remember when my wife and I left the iphone for the galaxy note 5 due to screen size. The following year apple released the iphone 6 plus, we came back to iphone. If apple attempts to force us (wife and I) back to smaller screens we will again go back to the galaxy line.