iPhone 8 Plus, Verizon: 16 hours call time?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eterem, Sep 24, 2017.

1. eterem macrumors newbie

I've received a new iPhone 8 Plus and inserted a (previously used) Verizon sim into it. I hadn't restored from any backups.
    After a test call, the cellular->call time period showed about 2 minutes, which was the length of the test call.

However, on the following day I've noticed the counter was up to 16 hours! I am pretty sure I haven't made any calls during the night, and nothing was running in the background (which is consistent with my Verizon account information, there is no unexpected activity in my usage statistics).

Is this a bug? Has anyone seen that too? Does the sim-card somehow transfer the usage statistics after a certain timeout? (these 16 hours did not appear immediately). And, as I said, it was a clean install without any kind of transfers/migration.

2. rdcamero macrumors member

I think it transfers with the sim card.I got my 8 Plus yesterday and could only get 3g with the sim that came in it.I took the one out of my s8 plus and put it in and got 4g but I noticed the call time under the cellular setting showed 1hour and 23 minutes.The box was still sealed so I know it had not been used prior to me picking it up at the Verizon store.

3. eterem thread starter macrumors newbie

After some forum search, I came up with the theory that it could have been transferred throuh iCloud. Not the iCloud backup, but just the iCloud “phone” section, as in contacts and things like that.

I also noticed that my call history (“Recents”) has appeared on the new iPhone. I cannot check the previous phone’s “cellular” section anymore to confirm if it matches the new phone’s call time.

It’s a very weird kind of functionality, and what’s even weirder is that it didn’t happen immediately (as I saw that 2 minutes usage from the test call, considering that I’d signed into iCloud immediately upon the initial setup, but placed the test call a good 3-4 hours later).

Does anyone has a confirmation for this? What sucks is that there is no way to reset the “lifetime usage” unless I plan on doing the full setup again.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Interesting. I'm not with Verizon but I backed up my old phone to iTunes and then restored it onto my new 8. The Lifetime Call Time is correct; only a few minutes, but the Current Period Mobile Data is showing 19.3 GB which certainly isn't right (my account shows only 57 MB usage since getting the phone).